Job openings available

rameumptom

Meh. I don't mind the whole thing. If some overweight security guard sitting behind a desk feels the need to get a look at what I'm packing under my garments, as long as I don't have to know about it... Let the guy have a thrill.

I'm going on a flight this Saturday and I plan on shakin' it the whole way through security, humming Bro'Sis seminal hit: Wiggle it.

My biggest concern is that teenage girls are giving security guards a thrill. And to make things fair, I think all security agents should have to wear thongs and halter tops.

My biggest concern is that teenage girls are giving security guards a thrill. And to make things fair, I think all security agents should have to wear thongs and halter tops.

I certainly don't want to see 99.99% of the TSA people in thongs and a halter top, they're not really hired for their looks.

Having started this conversation, I'd add the following ideas:

First, I work in a prison. I get patted down everytime I enter work. If I step outside to go to our Administration building (which is usually at least once or twice a day), I get a pat search. So I'm often pat-searched 3-4 times a day. I have to remove everything from my pockets, remove my belt, remove my shoes. I walk through a metal detector, and my removed items go through a scanner.

So the TSA pat down isn't going to bother me. It is what I must do to ensure security in a prison facility, and for the safety of the public. We really don't want someone sneaking in items for escape, do we?

When visitors come to see their incarcerated family/friend, they also go through this same process. The other day, a woman came in with her 18 month old baby. The baby was patted down, and a cell phone was found in its back pocket. The mother insisted she didn't know about it, that the baby was playing with her cell phone and must have put it in his back pocket by himself. That's a very unlikely story. She will be banned from visiting anyone in prison again. She's lucky, in Indiana, it is a class C felony to traffic cell phones into a prison. She could have been given a 5 year prison sentence for it, but we let her go. Why is a cell phone such a big thing? Because they are often used to make drug drops, escapes, or set up hits on staff and others. In Texas a couple years ago, an offender on death row called his judge and told the judge his daughter's name and address, then wanted to discuss his early release....

Personally, I have no problem with this increased security. It will take Americans time to get used to it. We are not Israel, which is a tiny country that can fit inside of Rhode Island. We have thousands of airports, not just a handful. I don't think the Israeli methodology will work, at least not by itself. And it requires greater intrusions into the lives of citizens, spying, etc., basically removing key freedoms which we enjoy here. I'd rather have 2 minutes of great discomfort than have someone snooping into my every doing.

The sad thing is that what they are doing is not making us any safer.

checking every 10th or 20th person with no basis for it other than a random number coming up is purely dumb and has no basis in real security.

It may make the masses feel good, but it won't stop anyone determined to bring something they shouldn't.

I'm a 54 year old, pudgy, grey haired, white anglo saxon male - who was picked to go through the "special screening" last time I flew -- why? how did that make anyone safe?

How about that young middle eastern fellow wearing traditional garb that walked right through before me?

Sorry but how many pudgy 54 year olds have blown up planes compared to how many young middle eastern guys?

Profiling works - ask Israel. Israel has not had plane downed, yet they don't do the stupid things we do.

and no I am not a racist - I am a realist. I have nothing against Muslims or middle eastern people, but they are the only ones that have ever flown our planes into buildings.

</rant>

I agree....I dont like the scanners, I dont like the pat downs. Its not needed all they are doing is taking more and more of our dignity away from us. I dont think id fly. THis is not the answer. How can they choose and pick who to and whom to just let go. The one they didnt pat down could be the one they needed to catch. And I still think if a person wanted to they still could get away with putting a bomb on themselves, and get away with it, even thou they were pat down. And do you see, whats happening to people who have medical problems, its down right discusting. There has to be abetter way to keep us safe. Looks like the country is falling fast. :confused: IM not sure how Isreal does it I need to look into it, thou I have heard it was a better way. Come on America, wake up.

I see your point.

At the same time, I don't agree that patting down groins on every nth passenger is necessary as a preventative measure. I would rather you do the regular scans for all passengers and every passenger who triggers suspicion get the pat-down. But then, that's asking all TSA agents to be behavioral experts.

Bah, I still think the better solution is to spend the money on hiring professionals to board every single plane incognito - professionals trained in armed and unarmed combat as well as bomb disarming. And yes, they would ride every plane armed.

hummm.

hey i think this might be a good idea. i need to think more about it.

I heard Congressman Ron Paul on the radio yesterday afternoon, and he gave a reasonable response to why we should not allow the TSA to expand its bureaucracy as it has. Primarily, there is no reason for it.

His solution was to turn the security over to the airlines. They can profile, whereas we do not want the government profiling. They can establish history/background investigations on frequent fliers and others, which would expedite them through the gate. Working the business flights like this would resolve the majority of flying in the USA. If they use a biometrics scanner, along with a background check on the person, they could easily verify a person and ensure the risks are low/zero.

Personally, I think that if there's a way to let the market take care of its own concerns and reduce bureaucracy, I'm all for it.

Speaking of Ron Paul and the TSA, he has introduced a bill on this very subject. In its entirety:

A BILL – HR 6416

To ensure that certain Federal employees cannot hide behind immunity.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. NO IMMUNITY FOR CERTAIN AIRPORT SCREENING METHODS.

No law of the United States shall be construed to confer any immunity for a Federal employee or agency or any individual or entity that receives Federal funds, who subjects an individual to any physical contact (including contact with any clothing the individual is wearing), x-rays, or millimeter waves, or aids in the creation of or views a representation of any part of a individual’s body covered by clothing as a condition for such individual to be in an airport or to fly in an aircraft. The preceding sentence shall apply even if the individual or the individual’s parent, guardian, or any other individual gives consent.

Doesn't sound like it privatizes flight security. Do you (generic you) think it should go farther? Or is it already too restrictive on the TSA?