The Book of Mormon Fiction?

LDSmission

well obviously YOU believe he translated it. He did read the bible so he could have gotten ideas from there

"I can take my Bible, and go into the woods, and learn more in two hours, than you can learn at meetings in two years, if you should go all the time." [Lucy Mack Smith, Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith, the Prophet, and His Progenitors for Many Generations (Liverpool: S. W. Richards, 1853), p. 90]

well obviously YOU believe he translated it. He did read the bible so he could have gotten ideas from there

"I can take my Bible, and go into the woods, and learn more in two hours, than you can learn at meetings in two years, if you should go all the time." [Lucy Mack Smith, Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith, the Prophet, and His Progenitors for Many Generations (Liverpool: S. W. Richards, 1853), p. 90]

So now he didn't steal it from Ethan Smith? He got ideas from the Bible?

Make up your mind.

I realize the thread is closed. However, as I suspect LDSmission is now retreating to some anti-Mormon site to boast of how he "confounded" us all and seek further marching orders, I just wanted to respond to two points lest anyone get the idea that the mods closed the thread because LDSmission's assertions demonstrated some kind of troublingly irrefutable logic:

why don't most scholars in that area accept the Book of Mormon like they do the Bible.

:rofl:

Non-Christian scholars don't put much more stock in the Bible than they do the Book of Mormon, other than to concede that the existence of a few of the locations and persons mentioned in the Bible has extrabiblical support. There is still ample debate, for example, as to whether a Yeshua-ben-Yusuf ever existed in Nazareth--and whether Nazareth even existed in the first century C.E., and if so, where it was--let alone whether He rose from the dead three days after his supposed execution.

Bottom line: the Bible mentions a lot of places and people. We have archaeological evidence for some of that; other aspects of its claims are undocumented and unverifiable. Ditto for the Book of Mormon.

Ethan Smith was his teacher for 5 years or so.

This is a lie.

Ethan Smith was very likely associated with the Cowdery family at some point during Oliver Cowdery's early years. However, if you read Lucy Smith's history, you'll see that Joseph was acquainted with the basics of the Book of Mormon plot--and repeatedly discussed them with his family--before he ever met Cowdery.

There is zero evidence that Ethan Smith and Joseph Smith ever met, before or after the publication of the Book of Mormon.

Edited by Just_A_Guy