Mormons defended on Law and Order

hordak

Often times, and i think i read some complaints on here earlier, about how the media miss portrays Mormons.

Watching Law and Order, and they found a dead kid with garments and his friend.

Officer says, something to the effect of "Wearing garments, don't go to movies, and they're afraid of blacks, they are definitely Mormon"

Chief corrects them. "The Mormon church has been granting African Americans all the same privileges since the 70s and live like everyone else. These must be Mormon fundamentalist"

Then it's gone off on the lost boys story.

Just thought it was interesting.

That makes me happy.

I'm a Gilmore Girls fan, and they've made a couple of Mormon jokes (my theory is to please the high number of LDS fans), but the only one I ever critiqued was when they referenced a single Mormon missionary. NOthing offensive, but we did want to know what the missionary was doing alone. =D

Guest BarcodeIIIlll

Often times, and i think i read some complaints on here earlier, about how the media miss portrays Mormons.

Officer says, something to the effect of "Wearing garments, don't go to movies, and they're afraid of blacks, they are definitely Mormon"

Chief corrects them. "The Mormon church has been granting African Americans all the same privileges since the 70s and live like everyone else. These must be Mormon fundamentalist"

I know what you mean, its stupid

I LOVE GOING TO MOVIES

Ah yeah, I think I remember that episode!

That makes me happy.

I'm a Gilmore Girls fan, and they've made a couple of Mormon jokes (my theory is to please the high number of LDS fans), but the only one I ever critiqued was when they referenced a single Mormon missionary. NOthing offensive, but we did want to know what the missionary was doing alone. =D

You probably don't want to know what the missionary was doing alone. Speaking from my own mission and listening to stories of my friends there are certain realities in missions that past missionaries don't generally talk about. It's not always happy times, converts with the occasional persecution. Unfortunately everything that you don't think happens on a mission does. :(

Not to be a downer but that's just reality...

Hehe reminds me of someone who had questions about the church because some law and crime show had someone blaming a mormon for an alcohol related incident or some such, and the authority dismissed it because mormonns don't drink.

You probably don't want to know what the missionary was doing alone. Speaking from my own mission and listening to stories of my friends there are certain realities in missions that past missionaries don't generally talk about. It's not always happy times, converts with the occasional persecution. Unfortunately everything that you don't think happens on a mission does. :(

My brother has recently started serving in a mission in the UK. He has been told by the president that the reason he was sent there along with most of the MTC group he was with is because ~40% of the missionaries previously in that mission were sent home simultaneously. The reasons were not disclosed, but it certainly isn't the first time that missionaries have been sent home en mass (it happened at the other end of the country about 5 years ago too).

When the first presidency talked about raising the bar, they weren't kidding, even if it requires purging their current set of missionaries completely.

Not to downplay your own experiences and those of others, the episode did say what the missionary was doing alone. He was hanging around with other religious leaders explaining gospel and moral principals to a girl.