Which Religion Is Right For You - Very Short T/f

prisonchaplain

We've had some fun with these "which religion" or "which denomination" is right for you tests. Something is missing though--or wrongly implied. Is there a single true and living God? With this presumption, might I suggest the following:

1. Is God one? (Deuteronomy 6:4): Hear O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD.

Score thus far: True indicates you are a monotheist. If the scripture reference was persuasive, you are likely suited for either Judaism, Christianity, or Islam. If you answered False, you are suited for any of the polytheistic religions, or for faith systems that do not rely heavily upon revering deity.

2. Is Jesus the only pathway, if our spiritual journeys are to take us to this one God? 1 John 14:6 Jesus saieth unto them, I am the way, the truth, and the life: No man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Score thus far: If you answered true, you are only suited for Christianity. If you answered false, you are most likely suited for Judaism. However, if you answered false, but with reticient, due to your high regard for the prophet, Jesus (PBUH), then Islam best matches you.

3. Was Joseph Smith a prophet of God, whom God chose to deliver the restoration of Christianity in these latter days? (Somebody else might want to supply a key scripture in a followup post).

Score as a final: If you answered true, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is for you. If you answered false, then an exploration of the other Christian movements is in order.

Hey, I did this at 5:30 a.m., following a long journey back from Korea. However, it suddenly dawned on me that most that come to this site hold to the belief that their faith is not only "right for them," but "right for all." I thought this test might highlight some of that, and revive the "Which religion" topic a bit. :wow:

Welcome Home PC!!!

Just a brief answer to your questions here....

Is there a single true and living God? ....... of course there is silly! We believe in the one and only Heavenly Father.... true, living AND loving.

1. Is God one? You have a scripture you use here....I need to find another one...I will when I have time (have to get ready for work) I believe God is one whole God :) Always have....even in going to different churches growing up.... I knew I was different cause the trinity thing confused me because I had problems believing it.

2. Is Jesus the only pathway, if our spiritual journeys are to take us to this one God? 1 John 14:6 Jesus saieth unto them, I am the way, the truth, and the life: No man cometh unto the Father, but by me...... no arguement there (simple and too the point) :)

3. Was Joseph Smith a prophet of God, whom God chose to deliver the restoration of Christianity in these latter days? I wouldn't be in this church if he wasnt. ;) (scripture to follow at a later time)

My score thus far.... Christian, LDS, with a little Judaism mixed in ;):P:D

1. Is God one? You have a scripture you use here....I need to find another one...I will when I have time (have to get ready for work) I believe God is one whole God :) Always have....even in going to different churches growing up.... I knew I was different cause the trinity thing confused me because I had problems believing it.

First, the official LDS position is to affirm the Holy Trinity. The way Mormons understand it is different, but allegiance is there.

Second, here's my KISS (keep it simple silly) explanation for the Trinity:

1. The Father is God. Note the first commandment, and that Jesus in the Lord's Prayer, addesses his Father in worship (something reserved only for God). "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name..."

On this point there is total agreement between Muslims, Jews and Christians.

2. Jesus is God.

A. He claimed to be God. In John 8:58 he calls himself "I AM"--the same term the Father used when Moses asked God what his name was (Exodus 3:14, I believe).

B. Doubting Thomas concurred, after the resurrection, declaring to Jesus, "My Lord and my God!"

C. The Father addressed his Son, in Hebrews 1:8 saying "Your throne, O God, will last forever ..."

D. The Father orders the angels to worship Jesus in Hebrews 1:6 "Let all God's angels worship him." Recall the First of the 10 Commandments--worship God alone, no others.

3. The Holy Spirit is God.

A. In Acts 5:3-4 the terms "Holy Spirit" and "God" are used interchangeably.

B. The Holy Spirit is also a person (JWs believe it's just a term for the impersonal power of Jehovah). Annanias and Saphira lied to the Holy Spirit...lied to God. You can't lie to a power source--you can only lie to a person. Also, the Spirit can be grieved, he can offer comfort, he brings conviction, etc.

4. There is only one God. Again, Dt. 6:4--the schema--the verse all well trained Jewish children learn from childhood (much like John 3:16 to evangelicals).

Conclusion: The Father is God. The Son is God. The Holy Spirit is God. There is only one God. The three persons are the one God. Call it a paradox, and admit that God, who's nature is far greater than ours, cannot be fully grasped by us in our own stage of pre-exaltation.

Hope this helps.

A great place to read about the trinity is in "The Orthodox Way" by Bishop Kallistos Ware.

It is a book to introduce people to the Orthodox church but there is an entire chapter on the trinity and it is so easy to read and so deep.

A good description of the trinity is three torches bearing one flame.

Jesus is God just as the Father is God and just as the Holy Spirit is God.

There is no heirarchy in God, all is equal, seperate yet one in essence. Imagine a pizza cut into three equal portions, it is the same pizza, the same flavour but it has three distinct parts.

One of the reasons the Roman church seperated from "the way" (modern day orthodoxy) was because they believed that the Holy Spirit is inferior to the father and the son. That lead to the great schism from which a whole load of churches split off.

I wonder if things would have been different if Joe Smith knew about the Orthodox church :hmmm: , not a denomination or a "church" in that sense but the continuation of the church established by Jesus Christ in AD 33 on the day of Pentecost in a small room.

Like the LDS church there is direct lineage with modern Priests and the original Apostles and therefore Jesus the Christ.

1. Is God one? (Deuteronomy 6:4): Hear O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD.

Score thus far: True indicates you are a monotheist. If the scripture reference was persuasive, you are likely suited for either Judaism, Christianity, or Islam. If you answered False, you are suited for any of the polytheistic religions, or for faith systems that do not rely heavily upon revering deity.

You must have been tired, because I cannot believe you said "...that do not rely heavily upon revering deity."

Polytheistic religions, especially Hinduism, place just as heavy an emphasis on "revering deity" as any monotheistic or henotheistic religions.

Please rephrase.

A great place to read about the trinity is in "The Orthodox Way" by Bishop Kallistos Ware.

It is a book to introduce people to the Orthodox church but there is an entire chapter on the trinity and it is so easy to read and so deep.

Kinda pushing Orthodoxy pretty heavy these days, eh Christos?

I still like three persona one essense.

One of the reasons the Roman church seperated from "the way" (modern day orthodoxy) was because they believed that the Holy Spirit is inferior to the father and the son. That lead to the great schism from which a whole load of churches split off.

Im not sure that's an accurate description of the filioque issue. The issue is whether the Holy Spirit proceedes from both the Father and the Son, or just the Father. Orthodox assume that to have the HS proceed from the Son as well as the Father places the HS into an inferior status. Roman Catholics argue that the Holy Ghost proceeds from the Son because it is the Son who sends the HS into the world (among other arguments).

Frankly, it's hair splitting and totally unnecessary. It's not unlike asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I wonder if things would have been different if Joe Smith knew about the Orthodox church :hmmm: , not a denomination or a "church" in that sense but the continuation of the church established by Jesus Christ in AD 33 on the day of Pentecost in a small room. Like the LDS church there is direct lineage with modern Priests and the original Apostles and therefore Jesus the Christ.

Frankly Christos, you're beginning to remind me why I left Eastern Orthodoxy. Im so tired of the "I can prove my Apostolic lineage" line that it's making me ill. Guess what? Coptics, Nestorians, Roman Catholics, Anglicans, some European Lutherians, and Old Catholics (among others) can do the same thing. Big deal.

And Mormons can as well if you take the First Vision and subsequent Priesthood ordinations from John Baptist, and Peter, James and John at face value.

So there. :P

One of the reasons the Roman church seperated from "the way" (modern day orthodoxy) was because they believed that the Holy Spirit is inferior to the father and the son...

Really? Are you sure about that? Here's part of The Creed of Saint Athanasius:

Whosoever will be saved,

before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

Which Faith except everyone do keep whole and undefiled,

without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.

And the Catholic Faith is this:

That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity,

neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance.

For there is one Person of the Father,

another of the Son, and another of the Holy Ghost.

But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost,

is all one, the Glory equal, the Majesty co-eternal.

Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost.

The Father uncreate, the Son uncreate, and the Holy Ghost uncreate.

The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost incomprehensible.

The Father eternal, the Son eternal, and the Holy Ghost eternal.

And yet they are not three eternals, but one eternal.

As also there are not three incomprehensibles, nor three uncreated,

but one uncreated, and one incomprehensible.

So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty.

And yet they are not three Almighties, but one Almighty.

So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God.

And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.

So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Ghost Lord.

And yet not three Lords, but one Lord.

M.

Jesus is God just as the Father is God and just as the Holy Spirit is God.

There is no heirarchy in God, all is equal, seperate yet one in essence. Imagine a pizza cut into three equal portions, it is the same pizza, the same flavour but it has three distinct parts.

I wonder if things would have been different if Joe Smith knew about the Orthodox church :hmmm: , not a denomination or a "church" in that sense but the continuation of the church established by Jesus Christ in AD 33 on the day of Pentecost in a small room.

Like the LDS church there is direct lineage with modern Priests and the original Apostles and therefore Jesus the Christ.

No Christos....it would not of made a difference if Joseph Smith knew about the Orthodox Church.......

You must have been tired, because I cannot believe you said "...that do not rely heavily upon revering deity."

Polytheistic religions, especially Hinduism, place just as heavy an emphasis on "revering deity" as any monotheistic or henotheistic religions.

Please rephrase.

Please reread what I said (with emphasis added to bring clarity): If you answered False, you are suited for any of the polytheistic religions, or for faith systems that do not rely heavily upon revering deity.

Funny how one little conjunction can bring an ephiphany of understanding. :P

It's not unlike asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I know this is totally off topic--but the answer to this very crucial theological riddle is now known: NONE--NO GOOD ANGEL WOULD BE CAUGHT DANCIN'--YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT IT MIGHT LEAD TO! :lol:

It's not unlike asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I know this is totally off topic--but the answer to this very crucial theological riddle is now known: NONE--NO GOOD ANGEL WOULD BE CAUGHT DANCIN'--YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT IT MIGHT LEAD TO! :lol:

Yes, the evils of dancing - one of the strange idiosyncratic beliefs of Pentecostals. ;):P

M.