11 Faith Based Predictions for 2011

pam

What is Card talking about when he says "viciously anti-Mormon mockery of Romney"? I know he asked the question "Don't Mormons believe Jesus and the Devil are brothers?" but then refused to discuss it anymore, stating he wasn't going to answer questions about candidates' religious beliefs. For example, he refused to answer the question whether or not he thought Mormonism was a cult. Here's a link to one story about it.

While I definitely see the "brothers" comment as a dig, I don't think it's vicious, especially if that's the only thing he said. When I read Card's words, I think there must have been more, but I can't find it. Can someone fill me in?

Elphaba

In my experience, those that ask the question about Christ and Satan being brothers usually are not out to understand what our beliefs are concerning this but only to smear Mormonism.

I think that is why Orson Scott Card calls it vicious since it was done so publically.

It's an age old anti smear that I've seen time and time again.

Edited by pam

. . . Santa. . . .

That just made me laugh. :P

I think that is why Orson Scott Card calls it vicious since it was done so publically.

It's an age old anti smear that I've seen time and time again.

I agree, and I have no doubt Huckabee knew that, given his evangelical background. I just think Card is being a bit hyperbolic about it. I read "vicious anti-Mormon mockery" and thought there had to be more there.

Do you? Or am I the one being hyperbolic? I really want to know.

Elph

What is Card talking about when he says "viciously anti-Mormon mockery of Romney"?

Elphaba

I hope but doubt the presidential candidates will bring up Romney putting down the single men and women in the Church. If he thinks that about them what about the other singles in the U.S.? Did he ever apologize for his statements? I mean apologize and not say he was misquoted.

I hope but doubt the presidential candidates will bring up Romney putting down the single men and women in the Church. If he thinks that about them what about the other singles in the U.S.? Did he ever apologize for his statements? I mean apologize and not say he was misquoted.

Link?

Elphaba

That just made me laugh. :P

I agree, and I have no doubt Huckabee knew that, given his evangelical background. I just think Card is being a bit hyperbolic about it. I read "vicious anti-Mormon mockery" and thought there had to be more there.

Do you? Or am I the one being hyperbolic? I really want to know.

Elph

The Huckabee campaign spread anti-mormon arguments like the Jesus and Satan are brothers thing disguised as push-polling. That anti-mormon push-polling led to his wins in several states. Some of that anti-mormon push polling continued even after those states were already won. Maybe it wasn't vicious by common understanding, but I think it's vicious to attack and degrade anyone's religion.

The Huckabee campaign spread anti-mormon arguments like the Jesus and Satan are brothers thing disguised as push-polling. That anti-mormon push-polling led to his wins in several states. Some of that anti-mormon push polling continued even after those states were already won. Maybe it wasn't vicious by common understanding, but I think it's vicious to attack and degrade anyone's religion.

If that is all true, then I do think it was vicious.

Would you please provide a reference?

Elphaba

Elphie, I googled this and there are so many things that come up. But I just put in "Huckabee and push polling" and you will find an endless list of articles etc to read.

Elphie, I googled this and there are so many things that come up. But I just put in "Huckabee and push polling" and you will find an endless list of articles etc to read.

Apparently Huckabee denies involvement with the push polling, and he did denounce it. IF he was not involved with it, I don't know what else he could do.

But do I believe him? Nope.

So, I get Card's point now.

Elph