Kids

angelbaby

<_< Does any one have any suggestions on entertaining a 1 and 2 & a half year old. I do the reading books, painting, play dough, coloring, sand pit play etc. I'm wondering whether any one has anything different. I feel like i'm totally out of ideas. Especially keeping them still for sacrament.

:dontknow:

angel, you don't have to entertain them full-time. A big part of their developement includes learning to entertain themselves! It teaches creativity, leadership, self-motivation, and because children are so eager to learn, they will almost always seek out (or invent) play that is exactly on-level with what they need to learn next. Teach them to use stuffed animals, dolls or sock puppets (or real puppets if you have them) to act out stories. Do stories with which they are familiar (imitation), stories about family members, and totally silly made-up stories. Teach them to host a tea party with pretend food and drinks. Teach them to clean things. A 2-1/2 year-old can dust bookcases, loves to squirt the Windex for you when you do glass, can sweep or help vacuum (yes, you'll have to go over the areas again later, but teach them the skills while they still think it's fun).

play dates

take them to reading time at the library

get some foreign language tapes or CDs and learn a language (they'll learn with you - kids are soooo much faster than adults at language aquisition)

run in the sprinkler

The best solution I have ever heard of for Sacrament time wiggles came from a friend whose husband served in the Bishopric when they had five small children. Every day of the week at the time that it would be time for Sacrament meeting, she had quiet time with the kids. That way, not only were they used to sitting still and quiet for an hour, but their brains and bodies were trained to feel still and calm at that time of day. Disclaimer: I haven't tried this personally, but her kids were very well-behaved.

My daughter is currently taking a college course in Childcare and Education and found the following site very useful for 'playtime' tips for different age groups. Here are the pages for the ages you're talking about.

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/playtime/le...p?min=2&max=2.5

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/playtime/le...1&max=1.5#33216

Also, at the RCC near to where I live, they have a 'loop' system installed so that the Mass can be heard throughout the building - for the hard of hearing - and at the back of the room where Mass is held they have a sectioned off area for younger children and parents, in which there are religious Children's books and pens/pencils/crayons and paper on which to doodle, and the parents can still hear the Mass without any problems and partake of Holy Communion when the other parents do so, without their child distracting other church members during Mass.

the mom's who don't work in my ward get together every Wednesday from 10-12 for a playdate. We were doing it in someone's backyard during the summer, but when it got cold, we got permission to do it at the church. We just go in the nursery or the gym. The kids love playing together and with all the toys, and the moms get to visit. Works out great. I would suggest looking into something like that if you have a lot of young kids in your ward like I do.

Teaching them to sit thru sacrament can be tough.....it helps alot when they start into the Nursery.....there they get to learn about reverence also.....for myself.....I know parents are often concerned with the noise their kids make.....I am a bit different.....you can look at me on the stand and I am grinning when the little ones make some noise.......

kids are tough

more tough than me!

I am called in nursery so i know they are all so different.

My son who is almost 3, used to love wondering around

the chapel. What helped a lot was Bishop saying to us,

its okay, he's learning.

Don't worry about others. There will always be people

who don't seem to like kids.

just do what is best for your kids.

Be an example.

Somebody said to my husband 'You know you look stupid during sacrament

chasing your son'

Teach them Sunday is a day of rest and worship not stress...

Sometimes we learn the hard way !

One rule of thumb. Don't pull out the goodiebag and toys when you first sit down in church, Wait. Don't do entertaining things until after the sacrament has been passed and they sit down. It will be very hard at first but it really works. They will learn that quite time is now and if they are good after the sacrament is done they can have there books, coloring and treat. This is a time for closeness in the family and reflect on Jesus. Your kids are not too young and in fact this is when they learn best. Yes, Yes of course they are going to test you don't fail the test and give in to them. It will work. (I'm a mother who knows this does work.)

By doing this you will find that it splits the meeting into two parts.

First-quiet time not only do the kids have quiet time, (time out) but the Parents do too. They will think that is neat to.

Second-they will be able to color, read/look at books play with their magnets (these are great if you don't know about these I'll let you know.) and then a treat most parents give candy BIG mistake!! there are plenty of things good for kids in small form, examples: cut up cheese in a bag or cheese string. cut up apple. small pieces of bread. At this time keep them close don't let the sprawled out all over the place in time they will catch on that you still want them close to you.

I did this from the very beginning there was no transition of okay your older now be good and sit still. It started as I said from them being a baby. I wouldn't get out even the picture books out until after sacrament. Kids are very smart and it won't take long for them to learn what is going on. Yes I had to walk out with a tempered child, I then would get down on their level and explain to them it is time to think of Jesus and not playing. They would nod their head and I would get a big hug and I'm sorry, I love you mom. (that's the best thing always.)

I know this might sound harsh and alittle strict but actually it really isn't and you will thank yourself for doing it now and not later when they are older. You will also find that you will bond with your children during this time. Yes, that seems long time for them to wait. For the time it starts until after the sacrament is passed and completed but, just you wait in time you will find you long for this time every week.

Also, teach them they shouldn't go out during the meeting. Families that allow this to happen have more problems with the child sitting still then the families that don't allow it.

One rule of thumb. Don't pull out the goodiebag and toys when you first sit down in church, Wait. Don't do entertaining things until after the sacrament has been passed and they sit down. It will be very hard at first but it really works. They will learn that quite time is now and if they are good after the sacrament is done they can have there books, coloring and treat. This is a time for closeness in the family and reflect on Jesus. Your kids are not too young and in fact this is when they learn best. Yes, Yes of course they are going to test you don't fail the test and give in to them. It will work. (I'm a mother who knows this does work.)

By doing this you will find that it splits the meeting into two parts.

First-quiet time not only do the kids have quiet time, (time out) but the Parents do too. They will think that is neat to.

Second-they will be able to color, read/look at books play with their magnets (these are great if you don't know about these I'll let you know.) and then a treat most parents give candy BIG mistake!! there are plenty of things good for kids in small form, examples: cut up cheese in a bag or cheese string. cut up apple. small pieces of bread. At this time keep them close don't let the sprawled out all over the place in time they will catch on that you still want them close to you.

I did this from the very beginning there was no transition of okay your older now be good and sit still. It started as I said from them being a baby. I wouldn't get out even the picture books out until after sacrament. Kids are very smart and it won't take long for them to learn what is going on. Yes I had to walk out with a tempered child, I then would get down on their level and explain to them it is time to think of Jesus and not playing. They would nod their head and I would get a big hug and I'm sorry, I love you mom. (that's the best thing always.)

I know this might sound harsh and alittle strict but actually it really isn't and you will thank yourself for doing it now and not later when they are older. You will also find that you will bond with your children during this time. Yes, that seems long time for them to wait. For the time it starts until after the sacrament is passed and completed but, just you wait in time you will find you long for this time every week.

Also, teach them they shouldn't go out during the meeting. Families that allow this to happen have more problems with the child sitting still then the families that don't allow it.

i really like that idea whitelace. We have a daughter almost 3 and our son is 4 months. I'm going to suggest this to my wife.

Guest Monica

How about writing ABC's and 123's for the 2 1/2 year old? And also explain to them about what church is about. Maybe you can get a children's bible with pictures on it and start teaching them some bible stories. Then when they go to church they know they need to be quiet for some time.

• 2 months later...

How about writing ABC's and 123's for the 2 1/2 year old? And also explain to them about what church is about. Maybe you can get a children's bible with pictures on it and start teaching them some bible stories. Then when they go to church they know they need to be quiet for some time.

hey!! i have a three year old sis and I know how hard it is to keep them from saying things in the middle of a prayer or blessing, I know this may not hepl but we started our sis at an early age to close her eyes super tight and fold her arms like a pretsle [spelling bad I know!] :D but maby you could try telling your kids those same words in sacrament! :P

• 1 month later...

whitelace gave excellent advice. :)

Another thing I will add is if you need to take the kids out, don't let them run around in the foyer. They will think it is play time and will figure out soon enough that it is more fun to run around there than to have to sit in the chapel.

It is best to sit them on your lap in the chair or the couch or even in an empty room (or on your lap on the floor) and have them sit quietly and reverently. It is still sacrament meeting time, time for reverence and they are expected to show that respect and quiet.

It may be tough for awhile. They might fuss or kick etc. Especially if the other little kids are running around, the foyer is rowdy and other moms or dads are chatting with other parents. We just tell the other kids/friends who come up to chat or play, ".Jake is having quiet time right now until he is ready to go back into the chapel." Even if Jake is fussing etc. I can walk him over to the pictures of Christ and quietly whisper to him about them until he calms down and is ready to sit quietly in my lap awhile before going back in.

You are the parent, be in control of the situation. Lovingly yet firmly. Let them know, sacrament meeting isn't a time to play. You might think..."But they are so young, it's such a long time..." Find what works for you and your family.