The 10 Commandments

Introduction: All of the great religions that proclaim belief in one God submit to the 10 Commandments. Yet, how do we, as Christians, understand and obey these so-called Jewish commandments?

Scripture: Exodus 20:1-17

Proposition: For the Christian, the 10 Commandments are more stringent, yet more achievable, than Jewish practice demanded.

Interrogative: How is the Christian understanding of the 10 Commandments more stringent, and why can we more easily achieve them?

Transition: We shall first consider the stringency of Christian obedience to the Commandments.

I. How Christians understand and interpret the 10 Commandments.

A. YOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME.

1. The ancient Jews understood this to mean they must worship the God of Israel, and no other.

2. Likewise, modern Judaism’s mission is to protect the spiritual life and practice of Jewish people. There is no mandate to reconcile non-Jews to the one true living God.

3. Jesus also says to worship no other gods. But he goes further, calling his followers to a rigorous mission of proclaiming the Good News to all peoples.

a. No other way–John 14:6

b. The Great Commission.

B. YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FOR YOURSELF AN IDOL.

1. Ancient Israel focused on the literal making of idols, because false idolatrous religion was so common then.

2. Still, one could be certain to find prohibitions against religious statues and the like.

3. Jesus took this one step further.

a. Don’t let your family become an idol–you had better be willing to hate–or abandon–your parents and sibling rather than compromise your love for me.

b. Don’t let your possessions become an idol–you cannot serve God and money.

C. YOU SHALL NOT MISUSE THE NAME OF THE LORD YOUR GOD.

1. Ancient Israel hesitated to use the name of God at all. This is why you so often see GOD and LORD in the Bible, rather than YAHWEH.

2. Today, the more conservative Jews even hesitate to use the title God. In their writings they write G-d instead.

3. Jesus teaches that we can use the name of God–in power. He still insist that the name be revered however.

a. In my name you shall heal the sick, cast out devils, and do works greater than I have done.

b. Many shall say, “Did we not do great works in your name?” And Jesus will respond saying, “Depart from me, I never knew you.”

c. The seven sons of Sceba used the name of Jesus to deliver a man from demons. Yet, they did not know Jesus. The demons left the man–but attacked those who would disrespect Jesus name by using it in ignorance.

D. REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY BY KEEPING IT HOLY.

1. Ancient Jews had numerous rules about what could and could not be done on the Sabbath.

2. Modern Jews have those same rules and volumes of commentary on how they can be applied with today’s technology. Example: Elevators in condos in Miami Beach.

3. Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

a. It is okay to heal on the Sabbath.

b. It is okay to work at getting food, so as not to go hungry, on the Sabbath.

c. It is okay to have special days or to treat every day the same, so long as the glory and honor go to God.

E. HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.

1. Ancient Israel had specific laws about how you were to honor your parents. So long as your treatment towards them complied with the laws, you were okay.

2. Modern Jews continue to pay general homage to the need to honor parents, and comply with religious guidelines on how to do so.

3. Jesus said we have to honor our parents with our hearts and spirits, as well as our mere compliance.

a. Corban meant you could give money to the Church (Temple) that should have gone to your parents.

b. Jesus says you must not use the Church as an excuse not to care for your parents.

c. Jesus also says that parents must not drive their children to anger through harsh treatment.

F. YOU SHALL NOT MURDER.

1. Ancient and modern Jewish practice would take this literally. You should not kill people.

2. Jesus said that to angrily denounce someone is a murderous act. He said we are to love our enemies.

G. YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.

1. Ancient and modern Jews would take this literally–you must not have sex with somebody other than your spouse.

2. Jesus said that to even lust after another woman is adultery.

H. YOU SHALL NOT STEAL.

1. Ancient and modern Jews would take this to mean that we must not take what is not ours.

2. Jesus said that we must obey our bosses–even when they are unreasonable. Otherwise, we “steal” what belongs to them.

I. YOU SHALL NOT GIVE FALSE TESTIMONY AGAINST YOUR NEIGHBOR.

1. Ancient and modern Jews said that it is wrong to lie with the purpose of hurting a neighbor. But, they tolerated promises that were sometimes less than fully honest.

2. Jesus said, “Let your yes be yes, and your no no.”

J. YOU SHALL NOT COVET.

1. Ancient and modern Jews say it is wrong to try to get what belongs to your neighbor.

2. Jesus said we should not worry about money or “the cares of this world.”

3. Paul said we are to be content whether we are wealthy or poor.

Transition: Compliance with these Commandments seems all but impossible. How can we obey them?

II. The power source that allows Christians to obey the 10 Commandments.

A. Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit says the Lord. (Zecharia 6:4)

B. You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. (Acts 1:8)

C. Be perfect as I am perfect. (Matthew 5:48)

D. Love is the answer

1. The two laws of love

2. Love that God provides–the Fruit of the Spirit.

CONCLUSIONS

1. Jesus did do away with some of the superficial, man-made customs surrounding the 10 Commandments.

2. However, he strongly endorsed the spirit of the Commandments–even raising the standards his disciples were to obey.

3. It is possible to live in obedience to the Commandments–If the Spirit of God empowers you!

Introduction: All of the great religions that proclaim belief in one God submit to the 10 Commandments. Yet, how do we, as Christians, understand and obey these so-called Jewish commandments?

Proposition: For the Christian, the 10 Commandments are more stringent, yet more achievable, than Jewish practice demanded.

Interrogative: How is the Christian understanding of the 10 Commandments more stringent, and why can we more easily achieve them?

Transition: We shall first consider the stringency of Christian obedience to the Commandments.

1. The ancient Jews understood this to mean they must worship the God of Israel, and no other.

2. Likewise, modern Judaism’s mission is to protect the spiritual life and practice of Jewish people. There is no mandate to reconcile non-Jews to the one true living God.

3. Jesus also says to worship no other gods. But he goes further, calling his followers to a rigorous mission of proclaiming the Good News to all peoples.

b. The Great Commission.

1. Ancient Israel focused on the literal making of idols, because false idolatrous religion was so common then.

2. Still, one could be certain to find prohibitions against religious statues and the like.

a. Don’t let your family become an idol–you had better be willing to hate–or abandon–your parents and sibling rather than compromise your love for me.

1. Ancient Israel hesitated to use the name of God at all. This is why you so often see GOD and LORD in the Bible, rather than YAHWEH.

2. Today, the more conservative Jews even hesitate to use the title God. In their writings they write G-d instead.

3. Jesus teaches that we can use the name of God–in power. He still insist that the name be revered however.

a. In my name you shall heal the sick, cast out devils, and do works greater than I have done.

b. Many shall say, “Did we not do great works in your name?” And Jesus will respond saying, “Depart from me, I never knew you.”

c. The seven sons of Sceba used the name of Jesus to deliver a man from demons. Yet, they did not know Jesus. The demons left the man–but attacked those who would disrespect Jesus name by using it in ignorance.

1. Ancient Jews had numerous rules about what could and could not be done on the Sabbath.

2. Modern Jews have those same rules and volumes of commentary on how they can be applied with today’s technology. Example: Elevators in condos in Miami Beach.

c. It is okay to have special days or to treat every day the same, so long as the glory and honor go to God.

1. Ancient Israel had specific laws about how you were to honor your parents. So long as your treatment towards them complied with the laws, you were okay.

2. Modern Jews continue to pay general homage to the need to honor parents, and comply with religious guidelines on how to do so.

3. Jesus said we have to honor our parents with our hearts and spirits, as well as our mere compliance.

a. Corban meant you could give money to the Church (Temple) that should have gone to your parents.

b. Jesus says you must not use the Church as an excuse not to care for your parents.

c. Jesus also says that parents must not drive their children to anger through harsh treatment.

F. YOU SHALL NOT MURDER.

1. Ancient and modern Jewish practice would take this literally. You should not kill people.

2. Jesus said that to angrily denounce someone is a murderous act. He said we are to love our enemies.

1. Ancient and modern Jews would take this literally–you must not have sex with somebody other than your spouse.

H. YOU SHALL NOT STEAL.

1. Ancient and modern Jews would take this to mean that we must not take what is not ours.

2. Jesus said that we must obey our bosses–even when they are unreasonable. Otherwise, we “steal” what belongs to them.

1. Ancient and modern Jews said that it is wrong to lie with the purpose of hurting a neighbor. But, they tolerated promises that were sometimes less than fully honest.

J. YOU SHALL NOT COVET.

1. Ancient and modern Jews say it is wrong to try to get what belongs to your neighbor.

Transition: Compliance with these Commandments seems all but impossible. How can we obey them?

D. Love is the answer

1. The two laws of love

CONCLUSIONS

1. Jesus did do away with some of the superficial, man-made customs surrounding the 10 Commandments.

2. However, he strongly endorsed the spirit of the Commandments–even raising the standards his disciples were to obey.

3. It is possible to live in obedience to the Commandments–If the Spirit of God empowers you!

<div class='quotemain'>

b. The Great Commission.

F. YOU SHALL NOT MURDER.

H. YOU SHALL NOT STEAL.

J. YOU SHALL NOT COVET.

D. Love is the answer

1. The two laws of love

CONCLUSIONS

OK, rented fingers.....hit the return key by mistake.

PC, I am curious as to why you would post this, in that Christ fulfilled the law when He came. The Ten Commandments are a part of the Mosaic Law. The Gospel, as taught by Christ, is much deeper that the ten basic commandments as given to the Children of Israel. Although the Ten are quite appropriate, they are not the only Commandments given. To concern oneself with only the Ten, tends to detour one away from what the Gospel is.

PC, I am curious as to why you would post this, in that Christ fulfilled the law when He came. The Ten Commandments are a part of the Mosaic Law. The Gospel, as taught by Christ, is much deeper that the ten basic commandments as given to the Children of Israel. Although the Ten are quite appropriate, they are not the only Commandments given. To concern oneself with only the Ten, tends to detour one away from what the Gospel is.

Christ came to fulfill the Law, not to destroy it. My purpose was to take what may be the most familiar set of Old Testament Laws and show how Christians relate to it. We often speak about obeying not the rituals, but the spirit of the Mosaic Law. This sermon shows how that plays out. We don't have to walk up stairs during the Sabbath (elevators use energy, thus = work), but we do have to keep not only from murder, but even speaking hatefully towards someone, for example.

I'm not just a New Testament Christian. I'm a Bible Christian. The Old Testament is inspired of God. It helps us understand the NT. This lesson was meant to be an example of how that works.

<div class='quotemain'>

Christ came to fulfill the Law, not to destroy it. My purpose was to take what may be the most familiar set of Old Testament Laws and show how Christians relate to it. We often speak about obeying not the rituals, but the spirit of the Mosaic Law. This sermon shows how that plays out. We don't have to walk up stairs during the Sabbath (elevators use energy, thus = work), but we do have to keep not only from murder, but even speaking hatefully towards someone, for example.

I'm not just a New Testament Christian. I'm a Bible Christian. The Old Testament is inspired of God. It helps us understand the NT. This lesson was meant to be an example of how that works.

Also, the topic is rather timely given the conflicts we keep seeing concerning the Ten Commandments on monuments and buildings.

<div class='quotemain'>

Just to give credit where due, the original article can be found HERE.

And the Archie Bunker quote was right on. :ahhh:

Just so you know I'm no plagiarizer--that sermoncentral contributor be me. :sparklygrin:

So YOU are Tommy C Ellis! :ahhh:

Were you really that impressed with "The Woodsman"? ;)

I'm not just a New Testament Christian. I'm a Bible Christian.

And I hope someday you'll ALSO be a "Book of Mormon Christian" too. :)

Maybe I should hand you another roll of dimes to throw out. :lol:

Perhaps the combination of working with offenders (usually internet purchasers--the mildest form, if such an adjective is appropriate to the subject), and the fact that I have three little girls, made the topic so compelling. My wife is a tough sell, and she agreed with me. We're still not sure if we'll let our soon-to-be kindergartner ride the bus the first year or not. :ahhh:

God's will be done. :pray:

<div class='quotemain'>

Maybe I should hand you another roll of dimes to throw out. :lol:

Perhaps the combination of working with offenders (usually internet purchasers--the mildest form, if such an adjective is appropriate to the subject), and the fact that I have three little girls, made the topic so compelling. My wife is a tough sell, and she agreed with me. We're still not sure if we'll let our soon-to-be kindergartner ride the bus the first year or not. :ahhh:

God's will be done. :pray:

Exactly! Knowing the Old Testament, helps to understand the New......in that Christ came to fulfill the law. Every bit is done away as He said. Now, my point is that Christians should be more concerned with the Beatitudes than the Ten Commandments, in that the Beatitudes are the basis of the "higher" law or the Gospel. Just because someone is living the Ten, or the bare minimum, doesn't give them the blessings of living the Gospel.

Oh, and according to Him, via His prophet it is His will that you seek out and find the truth and His Church here on earth. So if you wish to comply with His will.................... :rolleyes:

Now, my point is that Christians should be more concerned with the Beatitudes than the Ten Commandments, in that the Beatitudes are the basis of the "higher" law or the Gospel. Just because someone is living the Ten, or the bare minimum, doesn't give them the blessings of living the Gospel.

Jesus said that if we would love God and neighbor we'd fulfill all the law and prophets--and those two come out of the 613! Hey, bottom-line, it's all good. The Ten are good, the Two are good, the Beautitudes are good (by the way, were you requesting that I submit my series of lessons on Matthew 5-7????--okay--look for it). Everyone else--blame Warrior Chief for inviting me to eat up the bandwith! :wow:

<div class='quotemain'>

Now, my point is that Christians should be more concerned with the Beatitudes than the Ten Commandments, in that the Beatitudes are the basis of the "higher" law or the Gospel. Just because someone is living the Ten, or the bare minimum, doesn't give them the blessings of living the Gospel.

Jesus said that if we would love God and neighbor we'd fulfill all the law and prophets--and those two come out of the 613! Hey, bottom-line, it's all good. The Ten are good, the Two are good, the Beautitudes are good (by the way, were you requesting that I submit my series of lessons on Matthew 5-7????--okay--look for it). Everyone else--blame Warrior Chief for inviting me to eat up the bandwith! :wow:

Hardly an invitation to post your "lessons". In fact I would venture to say that you could learn something in here. "it's all good" is a phrase used to justify one's actions, or lack of same when an obvious change is in order.

Hardly an invitation to post your "lessons". In fact I would venture to say that you could learn something in here.

When I came here back in October I was asked "Why are you here?" My answer: to learn and share. Yes, I've learned much. Yes, I've had liberty to share. Some here have expressed appreciation for what I've posted--including occasional lessons.

"it's all good" is a phrase used to justify one's actions, or lack of same when an obvious change is in order.

Your language here is curious. "Justify?" Well, I've tried to explain my 10-Commands post, because you seemed to find it troublesome--more because of the topic, than the substance of my post. It'd be a sad day when any Christian, LDS or otherwise, would have to justify any biblical topic s/he might offer discourse on.

Sorry if you found my invocation of a colloquial phrase disconcerting. :unsure:

<div class='quotemain'>

Hardly an invitation to post your "lessons". In fact I would venture to say that you could learn something in here.

When I came here back in October I was asked "Why are you here?" My answer: to learn and share. Yes, I've learned much. Yes, I've had liberty to share. Some here have expressed appreciation for what I've posted--including occasional lessons.

"it's all good" is a phrase used to justify one's actions, or lack of same when an obvious change is in order.

Your language here is curious. "Justify?" Well, I've tried to explain my 10-Commands post, because you seemed to find it troublesome--more because of the topic, than the substance of my post. It'd be a sad day when any Christian, LDS or otherwise, would have to justify any biblical topic s/he might offer discourse on.

Sorry if you found my invocation of a colloquial phrase disconcerting. :unsure:

My intent here is to convey my position that living the "Ten Commandments" is not enough. They are part of the Mosaic Law, which was fulfilled. Let me say again, it is not enough. If it were, then Christ would not have given the Gospel, and fulfilled that law. For someone to claim that "it's all good" in regard to the Ten Commandments cast doubts that the same person takes the Gospel seriously, and actually believes Jesus. Note that I said believes Jesus, not believe in Him. Believing Him means that we actually take what He said as truth and live by it.

If I misunderstood your intent, then I apologize. I am direct in speech and sometimes rather frank, especially on discussion boards. I take my faith seriously, and although I am flawed, I expect others to do the same.

My intent here is to convey my position that living the "Ten Commandments" is not enough. They are part of the Mosaic Law, which was fulfilled. Let me say again, it is not enough. If it were, then Christ would not have given the Gospel, and fulfilled that law.

Enough for what? Salvation? Holiness? Sanctification? To please God? You may have read much more into the lesson than was there. The purpose of the teaching was to explain how Christians relate to the 10-Commands, not to suggest that they and they alone are the key to spiritual enlightenment, salvation, or holiness.

For someone to claim that "it's all good" in regard to the Ten Commandments cast doubts that the same person takes the Gospel seriously, and actually believes Jesus.

My point was that it's good to teach about the 10-Commandments, the Two Great Commandments, Salvation, etc.--they're all good topics. They're all biblical topics. You've not criticized the content of my lesson, but rather the topic itself. I'm frankly baffled. :dontknow:

Note that I said believes Jesus, not believe in Him. Believing Him means that we actually take what He said as truth and live by it. If I misunderstood your intent, then I apologize.

I believe you have, and I'm not sure how...but WOW. To recap, I posted a lesson on the 10 Commandments, explaining a Christians understanding of them, and you responded by condemning the commandments and my choice to teach about them.

I am direct in speech and sometimes rather frank, especially on discussion boards. I take my faith seriously, and although I am flawed, I expect others to do the same.

You're serious about something, but I'm not sure what it is that has you stirred up. The 10 Commandments were given by God, and there is still good direction for us in them. There is nothing in my lesson to suggest that they are the be all or end all of salvation, holiness, or sanctification. So I'm not sure what your "serious response" is based on. Likewise, I'm truly dumbfounded as to what would give you cause to question my seriousness about the gospel or my faith in Jesus.

<div class='quotemain'>

My intent here is to convey my position that living the "Ten Commandments" is not enough. They are part of the Mosaic Law, which was fulfilled. Let me say again, it is not enough. If it were, then Christ would not have given the Gospel, and fulfilled that law.

Enough for what? Salvation? Holiness? Sanctification? To please God? You may have read much more into the lesson than was there. The purpose of the teaching was to explain how Christians relate to the 10-Commands, not to suggest that they and they alone are the key to spiritual enlightenment, salvation, or holiness.

For someone to claim that "it's all good" in regard to the Ten Commandments cast doubts that the same person takes the Gospel seriously, and actually believes Jesus.

My point was that it's good to teach about the 10-Commandments, the Two Great Commandments, Salvation, etc.--they're all good topics. They're all biblical topics. You've not criticized the content of my lesson, but rather the topic itself. I'm frankly baffled. :dontknow:

Note that I said believes Jesus, not believe in Him. Believing Him means that we actually take what He said as truth and live by it. If I misunderstood your intent, then I apologize.

I believe you have, and I'm not sure how...but WOW. To recap, I posted a lesson on the 10 Commandments, explaining a Christians understanding of them, and you responded by condemning the commandments and my choice to teach about them.

I am direct in speech and sometimes rather frank, especially on discussion boards. I take my faith seriously, and although I am flawed, I expect others to do the same.

You're serious about something, but I'm not sure what it is that has you stirred up. The 10 Commandments were given by God, and there is still good direction for us in them. There is nothing in my lesson to suggest that they are the be all or end all of salvation, holiness, or sanctification. So I'm not sure what your "serious response" is based on. Likewise, I'm truly dumbfounded as to what would give you cause to question my seriousness about the gospel or my faith in Jesus.

Condemn the Ten Commandments? Surely you jest! I did not condemn them, I merely pointed out the fact that a Christian, professing adherence to tenents of the Mosaic Law, the Ten, isn't living what they profess, that is the Gospel. Then saying "it's all good" to deflect the point..............well, let's just say that I do not suffer that easily.

Again, the Ten are the basic tenents. A Christian lives more than the basics. The Mosaic Law is a schoolteacher, per Paul. The Gospel is much more. For a Christian to claim that it is sufficient only to live by the Ten, is deluding themselves.

Hello Warrior,

Nice to meet you. This is not my topic and your post made me curious. I read your post as being intense about what PC is saying. It sounds like you are saying "there is so much more than the 10 comm!" Is that your stance? Agreed. I'm curious as to whether or not you feel that you have mastered the 10 commandments? What I'm asking is do you still break any of the 10?

Thanks,

Dr. T

I merely pointed out the fact that a Christian, professing adherence to tenents of the Mosaic Law, the Ten, isn't living what they profess, that is the Gospel. Then saying "it's all good" to deflect the point..............well, let's just say that I do not suffer that easily.

Again, the Ten are the basic tenents. A Christian lives more than the basics. The Mosaic Law is a schoolteacher, per Paul. The Gospel is much more. For a Christian to claim that it is sufficient only to live by the Ten, is deluding themselves.

Okay, I think I understand what has you so passionate. To clarify:

1. I do not believe that the 10-Commandments are the be all and end all of the gospel, of Christian practice, nor that they are the core of what Christian adhere to. If you carefully read the lesson I posted you will NOT find any such assertions. So, perhaps this is a misunderstanding.

2. I was not deflecting by saying "it's all good." Please read my post carefully. I was saying that the Ten Commandments, being a part of the Bible, are a good topic. Again, you've misunderstood my intent.

3. I am a Christian, and I never did claim that the Ten Commandments were sufficent to live by. That is not in the lesson, the title, or any subpoints.

Our miscommunication seems to be that I was defending my choice of topic, and your were speaking against some ideas that the very topic of the Commandments arose in your mind. I'm not even sure we disagree about this subject.

<div class='quotemain'>

I merely pointed out the fact that a Christian, professing adherence to tenents of the Mosaic Law, the Ten, isn't living what they profess, that is the Gospel. Then saying "it's all good" to deflect the point..............well, let's just say that I do not suffer that easily.

Okay, I think I understand what has you so passionate. To clarify:

1. I do not believe that the 10-Commandments are the be all and end all of the gospel, of Christian practice, nor that they are the core of what Christian adhere to. If you carefully read the lesson I posted you will NOT find any such assertions. So, perhaps this is a misunderstanding.

2. I was not deflecting by saying "it's all good." Please read my post carefully. I was saying that the Ten Commandments, being a part of the Bible, are a good topic. Again, you've misunderstood my intent.

3. I am a Christian, and I never did claim that the Ten Commandments were sufficent to live by. That is not in the lesson, the title, or any subpoints.

Our miscommunication seems to be that I was defending my choice of topic, and your were speaking against some ideas that the very topic of the Commandments arose in your mind. I'm not even sure we disagree about this subject.

Perhaps you are right. My intent was to convey that the Ten Commandments are incomplete as an instrument of salvation. To teach them, and not teach that they are not enough would do a great disservice to any in the congregation. Perhaps I read more into your post than was there.