What to Expect From First Missionary Meeting

It will be a get to know you and your knowledge about the church. They will probably go over the details of Joseph Smith's First Vision and how he was called as a prophet. They will then introduce you to the Book of Mormon, give you a copy to read, and probably ask you to read some specific passages. Then they will ask to set up a return visit to go over what you think of the Book of Mormon and what you have read. They will probably also ask you to pray about it, citing Moroni 3:5 which gives a promise of a spiritual witness to the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. They may also invite you to church.

It's generally informal, sitting around the dining room table or in your living room, whatever works for you.

Let us know how it goes.

question: do these meetings have to be during the evening? If so, what times count as "evening"?

No. Generally Missionaries are out and about* from 10am-12pm (then lunch), 1pm-4/5ish pm (then dinner) and then from 6pm-9pm (then back 'home' to wrap up the day's work and get to bed). It can vary depending on their schedule (say they have an appointment at 12pm so they have lunch at 1pm) and local cultural conditions (if everyone has a siesta from 1pm-2pm missionaries would probably have lunch then) and of course on Sunday there are Church meetings that affect things.

* They get up earlier than this and do scripture and language study (which would push back the time they leave the apartment) if needed .

Edited by Dravin

So I recently submitted the missionary request form found on Mormon.org, and while I eagerly await their phone call, I was wondering if someone could let me know what I should expect for this first meeting.

Thanks!

Well generally the first couple of visits they'll go over a little bit about GOd and Christ and why they call prophets, and then teach about how God called Jospeh smith as a prophet, and had him translate the book of mormon and then will invite you to read and study the book of mormon and pray about it and about Jospeh Smith being a prophet.

Sometimes they also teach people how to pray to God using your own personal prayer on the first visit. They also like to answer questions people have about God, the scriptures, and the church.

Most importantly, for many this is an opportunity to join in God's work that is being done in the world today, and to enter into his kingdom and being able to recieve all the blessings he has for us in this life, and in the next (such as being able to keep our families in the afterlife)

Missionaries teach by building up from basic principles, so over the course of the visits they'll lteach these things, usually in an order similar to this;

God-Prophets-Jospeh smith- Book of mormon- Christ's church.

God's plan (why we are here, and what happens after this life)

How god's plan works

Faith-importance of obedience-Gods commandments-baptism

keeping God's commandments throughout one's life, and importance of temples (and how families and loved ones can remain as family forever).

question: do these meetings have to be during the evening? If so, what times count as "evening"?

well when i was on my mission we had to be back home at 9, period... so any time before that.

It is possible to do things later than that but they have to get special permission from the mission president (their boss basicly)

I just remembered. Preach my Gospel, which is the guide that Missionaries use for their work, is available online if you are interested.

Preach My Gospel

Chapter 3 contains what they teach. They usually use the order (tis probably one of the more logical ones for someone who isn't familiar with the Church and it's doctrines) of the sub-chapters unless they feel your needs and situation make a different order better.

It was 3 weeks, before they called me back -- I've been a member 17+ years now.

Perhaps they move faster these days, but back then the written request was snail - mailed from SLC to the Misson Presdient and then handed out at their (bi-weekly?) mission meetings.

Edited by mnn727

It was 3 weeks, before they called me back -- I've been a member 17+ years now.

Perhaps they move faster these days, but back then the written request was snail - mailed from SLC to the Misson Presdient and then handed out at their (bi-weekly?) mission meetings.

Oh wow. Well I did it online, and it said they'd contact me in a few days...guess I'm just being impatient.

I'm just finishing up with my Pre-Baptism lessions with the missionaries, so it's all fresh in my mind.

I met at another member's house because my home was not available. The Elders study at their home until 10am, so our lessons began after that. They were open to meeting at the meetinghouse, too.

Our first meeting was a little like any new meeting -- get to know you chit-chat, trying to remember names. It was just what I needed, though. We watched the Restoration video, and I could ask a bunch of questions. You'll get "assignments" to read parts of the Book of Mormon, but it isn't overwhelming at all. They will give you brochures during each visit on different topics like The Gospel of Jesus Christ, Tithing, and the Word of Wisdom.

I'm getting baptised on Sunday. Best. Move. Ever.

While you're waiting for the missionaries to schedule your meeting, you can go on Mormon.org and chat with the MTC missionaries in Utah. They are so helpful and can answer almost all your questions.

Also, there's an app with the Teach My Gospel workbook that the missionaries use, but I would suggest waiting before you get it. Trust that Heavenly Father will reveal the information you need in the time you need it. If you get the app and start poking around at lessons intended for down-the-road, you might get confused or discouraged. Be patient - we're all on eternal time now, right?

That's wonderful CTS! Let us know how it goes on Sunday.

The funny thing is, I've been so interested in reading about the LDS Church for so long that I already have those brochures (I bought them) and also have a copy of Preach My Gospel, Gospel Principles, the Book of Mormon, LDS Bible, etc.:hyper:

If you don't mind my asking, how long did you study with the missionaries until now?

I started talking with the on-line sister missionaries at Mormon.org for about a month in December. We went through the first two lessons. We still e-mail back and forth a few times per week, and I'm sending down photos of my baptism.

Ultimately I knew I had to take the plunge and meet with someone local. I called the local missionary offices and talked right away with both the Elders and the local Mission President. It was just a few days later before my lessons started.

In total, I've been having in-person missionary lessons for a month, with meetings once or twice a week. I was a pretty easy sell, so they didn't have to work so hard to convert me. For someone who has more hesitations, the lessions probably last longer due to more time needed to teach.

You might try calling your local LDS meetinghouse and asking for missionary contact numbers. I hear they go nuts when an "investigator" (like us) calls and wants to meet. I can believe their joy considering all the slammed doors and "go aways" they get on a daily basis.

Also, go to church this Sunday. Visitors are more than welcome, and you'll probably see your missionaries there. There are classes you can take after the service ("Gospel Principles" for newer folks, although I saw lots of old timers there, too.). Then there are classes that break off into men/women/children. Although I'm not a member yet, I've been so welcome at the Relief Society (women's group), and I got a lot out of the classes.

Let's keep talking -- I'm the only newbie I know, and I love to hear about what brings others to the gospel!

Thanks for sharing CTS.

For me, this has been a very long journey. I received my first copy of the Book of Mormon in 2002, when I was in 10th grade. I think I ordered it online, and then the missionaries called, asking if I would like them to deliver it. Of course my parents, being Catholic, said no, so they just mailed it. I've started to read it on and off since then, and right now I'm actually almost done with Jacob (the furthest I've ever gotten).

I've read A LOT about the LDS Church, and have participated on another board, Mormon Dialogue and Discussion, for some time now. I've been a pretty active Catholic for most of my life, and I used to go to Mass at the National Shrine in DC, and loved being there (I still miss it). I even posted critically against the LDS faith on a Catholic forum for some time. However, the more I read, especially comparing the LDS beliefs to ancient Judeo-Christian beliefs, the more I wondered "how could Joseph Smith and his companions have known this???"

I'm not sure what initially attracted me to the LDS Church. I guess it may have been its belief in still having apostles and prophets. While the Catholic Church does believe in prophets in the sense of people receiving revelations, usually from Mary, these revelations don't need to be believed (since they are termed "private revelation"), and there just seemed to be an over-emphasis on Marian reverence.

I don't think that I've received a witness from the Holy Ghost yet on the Book of Mormon, however I do feel...inclinations towards that, where I feel at peace when I read it. I'm still reading it though, so we'll see.

Thanks for sharing CTS.

I used to go to Mass at the National Shrine in DC, and loved being there

One day I took my then young son to the Shrine. When walked in, he stopped and asked, "Does God live here?" He was probably 3 at the time.

Jason_J - You might find this useful: Scripture Stories. It is the BOM for kids. I ended up reading/listening to it when I realized I was never going to make it through the BOM on my own and I wanted some background when I had my lessons. I found it a good way to get an overview of the BOM.

You can go to Gospel Principles class w/o being a member of the Church. You might find it interesting to sit in on a class or two to get a feel for the Mormon viewpoint.

Maybe I should warn you though - I've only been a member for a few weeks and they've already given me a calling and I said the closing prayer at our ward talent show. They don't let you rest on your baptism very long!

Oh yeah, totally call your ward missionaries directly.

When I called my missionaries, apparently they played my phone message again and again they were so thrilled to get it. What chances do we get in normal life to make people so happy?

I bet if you telephoned your missionaries directly first thing Tuesday morning and asked to start the teachings, you'll be golden by Wednesday for sure.

I've been a member a whole two days, so trust my extensive experience! :cool:

So the missionaries finally called yesterday, but I was at work and missed the call. I called them back just now, but I guess they're out, so we're playing phone tag now, haha. I left a message saying that I'd love to meet tomorrow if possible, and that I have school late today, so I can call them back after 8:30pm if possible.

Contacting your local ward or missionaries would get things moving faster. When I served my mission we didn’t have electronic referrals so I’m not sure how that works, but we did receive some referrals from Salt Lake and various other visitors’ centers. Although as missionaries we appreciated getting anything that would potentially lead us to an investigator the majority of the time the referrals were dead ends (i.e. wrong/non-existent addresses, people claiming not to have made a request for contact, etc). This served to lessen our sense of urgency in trying to contact the referral, especially when they all indicated the person was VERY interested. If your elders are busy it may simply be that your referral has been placed in the “to get to when we have time” pile. However, I would think that getting a second referral with the same info would tend to increase the feeling in the missionaries’ minds that the person was genuinely interested.

If you do try to contact a local ward the best time to call would be in the evening probably Tues-Thurs. Due to the church’s lay ministry there won’t always be someone to answer the phone during the day. If you call the mission office, however, someone should be available during the day.

So I just got back from the meeting (we met at the chapel).

Well, as I expected, the missionaries were pretty surprised at how much I knew (I told them I've read extensively on LDS beliefs, from both pro and anti sources, for many years), and that I was already in Mosiah in the Book of Mormon, as well as that I've watched General Conference, read the Ensign, etc., haha. I told them that many things in the LDS faith just "make sense" to me, especially when we see what the Bible plainly says, such as on baptism for the dead, pre-mortal existence, prophets, church organization, etc. They actually asked me if I would like to be baptized on the 19th! I told them that I would think/pray about it. I'm going to church on Sunday and meeting again next Wednesday and Thursday.

We discussed authority and the apostasy (obviously big issues for someone coming from an active Catholic background), the priesthood ban briefly (I brought it up), the importance of baptism, prophets, seventies, the Holy Ghost. I also said the closing prayer.

The missionaries are actually pretty new, one has been here for 4 months, the other for 1 month, and they were pretty cool. They gave me another Book of Mormon (because I left mine at home), and the Restoration DVD.