When there is no priesthood holder in the home

I'm a widow, recently baptized as you all know. My grown lives with me, but is no where near converting.

I'm wondering what am I missing by not having a priesthood holder in the home? What are the typical priesthood duties of a husband? I will have home teachers. I hope I have that right. I've got ward missionaries who are giving five follow up lessons to the missionaries, but now I understand some other brothers will be coming by as well. I'm not sure what the name of their office is, but they will continue after my ward missionaries have moved on. I don't know when the home teachers will show up.

I think I'm supposed to treat these brothers as my priesthood holders - is that correct? And if so, what are my duties toward them, and theirs toward me? Is it different since we aren't related?

Everyone is so busy at church; I hesitate to stop and ask this rather involved question. Also, I like to get info from an unbiased source first (I don't think any of you are in my ward). Thanks.

Edited by dahlia
poorly edited the first time

We generally call our home teachers first if someone is really ill and needs a blessing. Other times, someone may want a blessing for another reason - they are troubled, they are about to take a big step (like going away to school or choosing whether to take a new job).

You don't have any duty or obligation to them, but it would be nice to build a friendship with them as far as is possible. That may make it easier for them to be sensitive to your needs, as well as being a good support and a joy for you!

On a non-priesthood note, home teachers are also good go-to guys for practical matters. In our ward, home teachers helped cut up a tree that had fallen in a member's yard. When we moved, my home teachers couldn't be there to help load the big pieces of furniture into the truck, but they rounded up other guys to do it.

I'm a widow, recently baptized as you all know. My grown lives with me, but is no where near converting.

I'm wondering what am I missing by not having a priesthood holder in the home? What are the typical priesthood duties of a husband? I will have home teachers. I hope I have that right. I've got ward missionaries who are giving five follow up lessons to the missionaries, but now I understand some other brothers will be coming by as well. I'm not sure what the name of their office is, but they will continue after my ward missionaries have moved on. I don't know when the home teachers will show up.

I think I'm supposed to treat these brothers as my priesthood holders - is that correct? And if so, what are my duties toward them, and theirs toward me? Is it different since we aren't related?

Everyone is so busy at church; I hesitate to stop and ask this rather involved question. Also, I like to get info from an unbiased source first (I don't think any of you are in my ward). Thanks.

First and foremost, you're missing companionship. I know that isn't directly related to priesthood, but that goes to my next point that you aren't really missing a whole lot, except maybe convenience.

When you have a priesthood holder in the home and you need a blessing of some sort or another, it's pretty easy to ask for it. When you don't have a priesthood holder in the home, you might feel like you're imposing if you call someone else and ask them to come give you a blessing. My advice to you: impose on them! :) Quite honestly, I get a much bigger spiritual thrill out of going to someone's home and giving them a blessing (or some other kind of service) than I do out of going to church.

On another note, as a recent convert, you don't have the blessings of the sealing covenant in your home. I would encourage you to prepare yourself for the temple, and prepare your husband's name as well. That way, when you go to the temple, you can be sealed to him, at which point you will have the blessings of the sealing covenant in your home. When you have those blessings, literally, the only thing you'll be missing by not having a priesthood holder in your home is companionship and convenience. In the meantime, the influence of good home teachers, and dedicated bishop, and close friends at church should be sufficient to fill your home with those blessings.

(I really hope that all made sense)

• 3 months later...

IMHO, since you are a widow, all priesthood holders in your ward can be "your priesthood holder". All of them can be a source of help and assistance and blessing. And everyone are encouraged to give more loving attention to widows and fatherless.

But of course, because your home teachers are assigned to you by inspiration they are primarily responsible in giving immediate assistance to you. So make sure you have their contacts and at times when you need priesthood blessing inform them first. That would give them a chance to magnify their calling and exercise their priesthood duties.

Priesthood is all about service. We don't expect any compensation from whatever help we may extend. So don't worry about "your responsibility" to them because there no such thing as that. I hope I'm not missing the point here. : )

Home Teachers are the best. Even when we have priesthood in the home there are times when we call the home teachers. A comfort blessing can be given by one priesthood holder. Being administered to should be done by two priesthood holders (one can do it, but only when another brother isn't available). My husband calls our home teachers when he needs help administering to me.

As a widow your Home Teachers should be High Priests.

Don't hesitate to call on them for priesthood things but also for anything else you might need and can't get taken care of. I have a husband and adult son living at home so I don't often need my home teachers but they are always there when I do. There is no reason to put something off. Let them be of service. It will not only bless your life but their's as well.