Bishop: Bishop

Missionaries and General Authorities: Elder

Stake, Branch, and Mission Presidents: President

Stake and Mission Presidency Councilers: President

Now the brothers:

Elder's Quorum Presidency*: Brother

Bishop's Councilers: Brother

Branch President's Councilers: Brother

* You sometimes hear the Elder's Quorum President referred to by President but nobody should be taken aback if you call him Brother.

I don't know if the question is directly addressed but you may find this special issue of the Ensign intended to help New Members useful: Ensign October 2006 Table of Contents If you want a hard copy you can order one here, or ask a pair of missionaries for one, they should be able to scrounge one up. At least we had them at the Mission Office when I was on my mission.

Edited by Dravin

Very good question Jason_J...

I don't know the answers and I've been a member for almost 10 years.

If I'm not mistaken, you can call a bishop - and anybody who has been called as a bishop in their lifetime even if they're not actively serving as one - "bishop".

Anybody with a Presidency calling like Stake Presidents, Temple Presidents, Mission Presidents, etc as "President". You don't need to continue calling them President when they are released from the calling - but you can continue to call them President if you so desire, especially Stake and Temple Presidents.

Missionaries are "elder" and anybody serving in the Quorom of the 12 and 70 are "elder" too. Missionaries will not be called "elder" after his mission ends.

All other male members including counsellors to the bishop are "brother". Females are "sister" including missionaries. You can call Relief Society Presidents and Primary Presidents and Young Women Presidents as "President" but this is not common in my area - they're all just called "sister".

But... I'm pretty sure I got some of these wrong, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

I don't know if the question is directly addressed but you may find this special issue of the Ensign intended to help New Members useful: Ensign October 2006 Table of Contents If you want a hard copy you can order one here, or ask a pair of missionaries for one, they should be able to scrounge one up. At least we had them at the Mission Office when I was on my mission.

Thanks, I actually already have a copy of that issue. I think I'll be reading it again soon!

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I agree with not sweating titles. I have inadvertently called Bishops and Stake Presidents "Brother" so and so and it never seems to phase them. I think a person serving with the right state of mind in a leadership position would't be offended.

I disagree with calling prophets in slang terms like "Tommy Thomson", "Gordie Hinkley" or "Joe Smith" like they do on some sites that aren't pro-LDS. That's just outright disrespectful.

I disagree with calling prophets in slang terms like "Tommy Thomson", "Gordie Hinkley" or "Joe Smith" like they do on some sites that aren't pro-LDS. That's just outright disrespectful.

I sometimes talk about "Little Tommy Monson" stories, but typically in context, since President Monson is so fond of sharing boyhood stories. With him, it's a contextual tradition, I think. I've never heard "Gordie Hinckley," and I agree that "Joe Smith" is almost always derisive.

I wouldn't worry about the LDS lingo. The next thing you know... this could happen to you:

Sunbeams Talk To Me | Mormon Jokes and LDS Humor | Overheard In The Ward

Sunbeams Talk To Me

Posted by Overheard In The Ward on March 26, 2009

Doctor: Well, Mrs. Olsen, we’ve talked about your high blood pressure and your medications. Are you experiencing any particular stress in your life?

Patient: Oh, yes! It’s the Sunbeams. They’re driving me crazy.

Doctor surprised: The sunbeams.

Patient: Yes. I’ve never had trouble with them before, but this group won’t sit still. They bounce all over the room, and run out the door and down the hall.

Doctor reaching for pen: Have you told anyone about this?

Patient: Of course. I told the president.

Doctor: Really! What did the President tell you?

Patient: She said Sunbeams are like that. I’m just going to have to learn to deal with them.

Doctor concerned that he may be missing something: I know people who are sensitive to sunbeams.

Do they cause you to rash or anything?

Patient confused: A rash? No.

Doctor: What’s the biggest problem they’re creating?

Patient: It’s the noise. They just won’t quit talking.

Doctor astonished: The sunbeams are talking to you?

Patient: Well, yes. But mostly to each other.

Doctor: I see. Can anyone else hear them talking?

Patient after a moment of stunned silence: You’re not LDS, are you?

Funny. (BTW, the Sunbeams are a preschool childrens' group.)

It's funny when LDS culture and mainstream culture clash.

I remember a recent convert was called to be a primary leader, and when she first led the children in Happy Birthday, she immediately found out that we have a different song in the childrens' songbook than the traditional "Happy Birthday to You".

LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - Happy, Happy Birthday 

Actually, titles aren't the HALF of it. Wait til you get into all the acronyms!

Fun poem (E.F.M.) *Especially for Mormons*? - Yahoo! Answers

Fun poem (E.F.M.) *Especially for Mormons*?

Can understand this whole thing w/o any problems?? :)

My son's a CTR, I go to PEC.

I work for CES, I study the TG.

I read the B of M,

I probe the D&C.

I search the KJV, I ponder the JST.

Today at BYC,

we planned for EFY,

I stayed a little after and had a PPI.

The YM and YW are putting on a play,

it's one that I remember

from when I was in the MIA.

Before our oldest son went into the MTC,

He helped the BSA

complete their SME.

Soon our oldest daughter is headed for the Y,

soon our oldest clothing will be going to the DI.

Now if you understood this alphabet mess,

The chances are quite good that you are LDS.

Is it

Sister Smith or

Sister Mary or

Mary

or it doesn't matter?

I hear people in my ward usually use the last name and sister (or brother) but then I hear just the first name.

Or, it doesn't really matter. ;)

It's supposed to be Sister Smith. But, in my ward, I hear a lot of just first names being used because a lot of them are very close friends in and out of church.

Sister Mary is not commonly used in my ward. Which is good because it makes me think of the nuns in my Catholic school.