Question about Genesis 1:1

LDSChristian

Christ is the Creator and Redeemer of worlds so numerous that they cannot be numbered by man. As to his infinite and eternal creative and redemptive enterprises the divine word attests: “And worlds without number have I created,” saith the Father, “and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten. … But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you.” As to all of the other worlds of the Lord’s creating we know only that it is his work and his glory “to bring to pass”—through the Redeemer—“the immortality and eternal life” of all their inhabitants. (Moses 1:33, 35, 39.)

Christ is the Creator and Redeemer of worlds so numerous that they cannot be numbered by man. As to his infinite and eternal creative and redemptive enterprises the divine word attests: “And worlds without number have I created,” saith the Father, “and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten. … But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you.” As to all of the other worlds of the Lord’s creating we know only that it is his work and his glory “to bring to pass”—through the Redeemer—“the immortality and eternal life” of all their inhabitants. (Moses 1:33, 35, 39.)

Ok. Thanks.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

Is that saying only heaven and the earth? I'm asking because it doesn't say anything about creating everything else of the universe like the other planets and galaxies.

This is called merismus. a pair of concepts (often opposites) represents everything in between. Heaven and earth is another way of saying everything above and everything below.

Is that saying only heaven and the earth? I'm asking because it doesn't say anything about creating everything else of the universe like the other planets and galaxies.

I'd think heaven would count for everything we can see form earth at the least. Good question tho, I"d err on the side of safety say that yes he was.

He told Abraham that he had made more earths than there are sands of the sea.

Also, remember that the account in Genesis was given to the Israelites when they were in a very spiritually weakened state. They couldn't handle anything more than a bare-bones symbolic account of the creation.

Thus, "the beginning" in this sense means the beginning of the relevant history of this earth's creation period.

Colossians Chapter 1

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Are there any definitions for these archaic terms? They seem to be based on some sort of superstitious belief in a demonic world engendered by an all encompassing ignorance of natural law.

Christ is the Creator and Redeemer of worlds so numerous that they cannot be numbered by man.

Can anybody explain why there are so many worlds that are incapable of supporting life? IS Jesus also partial to gas giants and red dwarfs.

Most stars are currently classified using the letters O, B, A, F, G, K, and M (usually memorized by astrophysicists as "Oh, be a fine girl/guy, kiss me"), where O stars are the hottest and the letter sequence indicates successively cooler stars up to the coolest M class

of the 27 closest stars 17 are M type quite invisible to the naked eye. 5 are K type, still smaller than the sun. 2 are white dwarfs, stellar embers of spent stars. one is A type one is a F type, and one is a G type star similar to the sun.

Of the hundreds of exo-planets discovered, almost all of gas giants of around Jupiter mass.

Can anybody explain why there are so many worlds that are incapable of supporting life? IS Jesus also partial to gas giants and red dwarfs.

Most stars are currently classified using the letters O, B, A, F, G, K, and M (usually memorized by astrophysicists as "Oh, be a fine girl/guy, kiss me"), where O stars are the hottest and the letter sequence indicates successively cooler stars up to the coolest M class

of the 27 closest stars 17 are M type quite invisible to the naked eye. 5 are K type, still smaller than the sun. 2 are white dwarfs, stellar embers of spent stars. one is A type one is a F type, and one is a G type star similar to the sun.

Of the hundreds of exo-planets discovered, almost all of gas giants of around Jupiter mass.

This MIGHT go against the idea that mankind is God's work and glory, yet I personally would find it a lot of fun to play around with celestial (speaking of physical universe only) objects that have very little or nothing to do with mankind.

plus, we could move on to Gen 1:2

(Old Testament | Genesis 1:2)

2 And the earth (had become) without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

I find the origin Hebrew "had become" rather interesting.... what was on the Earth before it "became" void? perhaps another world?

new worlds do get built on the ruins of older ones ;)

The original Reuse/Recycle!

From what I understand, everything has a purpose.

The outer planets for example, helping to shield us from occlusions with objects flying through our solar system and taking part in the delicate balancing act, keeping our planet where it is in it's delicate elliptical orbit around our sun.

I have been taught in my past that the stars and star systems are a part of and have the same job and that it is possible that life as we understand it can only be found on the outer edge of such star systems.

All the stars toward the center take part in setting up the environment that allow the star system on the outer edge to support that life.

Just my 2 cents worth.:rolleyes:

Edited by JohnnyRudick
Grammer stinks:-(