Kid Parties

zippy_do46

My DD didn't have her first birthday party until she turned 6. We did bowling (with 2-for-1 coupons), $5 pizza, dollar store balloons, and our "splurge" was a bakery cake and a pinata from the local grocery store (it had Tinkerbell on it. she picked it out). Less than $50 for everything, including her birthday present from us. We could have done it even more cheaply had I baked the cake, or skipped the bowling, but it was her very first birthday party, and she had her heart set on bowling and a Tinkerbell cake.

When the last friend left she proudly declared it the "Best Birthday party EVER!!!" so apparently she didn't mind that it was done on-the-cheap. :)

I haven't seen that show. But, it's not the cost that counts really... it's how special the day is to the birthday kid. Whether you spend $2Million or $20 to make it special doesn't matter.

I spent $3,000 on my kid's baptism bday. That's the most I've spent on a bday. If I had $2Million to spend, I wouldn't mind spending it on a bday.

My wife has seen the show and was commenting on it the other day. She said many of the kids seemed like spoiled brats. Obviously the big and expensive lavishing on the child is not limited to once per year.

Personally, even if I had lots of money, I would not be extravagant on their birthdays or Christmas. A few hundred dollars at most. In raising my kids, I was not wanting to raise spoiled brats, but good and happy kids. This meant that teaching responsibility and good wholesome fun were more important than stuff. Had I $1000 or $1million to spend on a birthday for them, I think that most of it would go to teaching them how to bless others. Perhaps letting the child choose a charity or two and donating the money to them. Or selecting some poor family (or several if it were $1M) and secretly bless them.

Then spend a hundred bucks or so on my kid. I think this would go much further than spoiling the child by buying a huge birthday party with rock stars and other miscreants purchased for their hedonistic pleasure.

Personally, even if I had lots of money, I would not be extravagant on their birthdays or Christmas.

I totally agree with this. I have lived in San Diego most of my life and I have taken my children to way over done b-day parties. I bake their cakes and do everything myself. They still love it and have a great time!!

My wife has seen the show and was commenting on it the other day. She said many of the kids seemed like spoiled brats. Obviously the big and expensive lavishing on the child is not limited to once per year.

Personally, even if I had lots of money, I would not be extravagant on their birthdays or Christmas. A few hundred dollars at most. In raising my kids, I was not wanting to raise spoiled brats, but good and happy kids. This meant that teaching responsibility and good wholesome fun were more important than stuff. Had I $1000 or $1million to spend on a birthday for them, I think that most of it would go to teaching them how to bless others. Perhaps letting the child choose a charity or two and donating the money to them. Or selecting some poor family (or several if it were $1M) and secretly bless them.

Then spend a hundred bucks or so on my kid. I think this would go much further than spoiling the child by buying a huge birthday party with rock stars and other miscreants purchased for their hedonistic pleasure.

Just because you spent $2Million on a kids bday party doesn't mean your child is a spoiled brat with miscreants purchased for their hedonistic pleasure.

This is one great example of wealth prejudice.

If you make $2,000 a month and spent $200 for your kid's bday you spent just as much as somebody who made $20Million a month and spent $2Million for his kid's bday.

If you made $20Million a month and you spent $200 for your kid's bday, there might be something wrong with you.

That only figures percentage wise. A child who has everything given him ends up spoiled. Just look at how Charlie Sheen or Paris Hilton have turned out.

If I'm spending $2Million on my kid's birthday party, I better be prepared to explain to the Lord how I was handling my stewardship. It isn't my money. I'm borrowing it from God. When I die, it doesn't go with me.

I have no problem with people being wealthy. I do have a problem with hedonism, and how it is driving our nation into ruin. Now everyone thinks they must keep up with the Joneses, which means spending tons of cash on every event. We now have a couple generations of people in America who think the world owes them a living. We have millions having their homes foreclosed, because they were not frugal and bought giant houses they could not afford, expensive furniture for that house they could not afford, and several nice cars to place in front of that place they could not afford. And then they want the government to bail them out!

Well, I purchased a modest fix-er-upper, own 2 cars that are over 10 years old, and have older furniture. It isn't fancy, but it is mine. I don't have to worry about financial bankruptcy, because I stayed out of debt, bought modestly, helped others, and saved money. And that's what I've tried to teach my kids.

Our nation will end up like Greece, or worse, if we do not change our attitude. This isn't our stuff. It is on loan from God. We are to use it primarily to bless and help others, according to King Benjamin's and Jacob's discourses at the temple. To spend millions on my kid's birthday party is doing exactly what the world does, and exactly against what God commands.

That only figures percentage wise. A child who has everything given him ends up spoiled. Just look at how Charlie Sheen or Paris Hilton have turned out.

If I'm spending $2Million on my kid's birthday party, I better be prepared to explain to the Lord how I was handling my stewardship. It isn't my money. I'm borrowing it from God. When I die, it doesn't go with me.

I have no problem with people being wealthy. I do have a problem with hedonism, and how it is driving our nation into ruin. Now everyone thinks they must keep up with the Joneses, which means spending tons of cash on every event. We now have a couple generations of people in America who think the world owes them a living. We have millions having their homes foreclosed, because they were not frugal and bought giant houses they could not afford, expensive furniture for that house they could not afford, and several nice cars to place in front of that place they could not afford. And then they want the government to bail them out!

Well, I purchased a modest fix-er-upper, own 2 cars that are over 10 years old, and have older furniture. It isn't fancy, but it is mine. I don't have to worry about financial bankruptcy, because I stayed out of debt, bought modestly, helped others, and saved money. And that's what I've tried to teach my kids.

Our nation will end up like Greece, or worse, if we do not change our attitude. This isn't our stuff. It is on loan from God. We are to use it primarily to bless and help others, according to King Benjamin's and Jacob's discourses at the temple. To spend millions on my kid's birthday party is doing exactly what the world does, and exactly against what God commands.

Your fixer-upper is compeletely non-sequitor. If God graced you with $20Million a month I would highly doubt you will purchase a modest fix-er-upper and 2 cars over 10 years old. There are better uses for your time. And if God graced you with $20Million, it doesn't mean that if you spend $2Million on a bday party that you are not in a position to help others or teach your kids correct principles or that you will end up in financial bankruptcy. And spending $2Million on a bday party does not conclude that you are "giving your kids everything". That's prejudice speaking. Automatically assuming that expenditure with a big tag equates hedonism. You never even asked what the $2Million was spent on!

For every Paris Hilton and Charlie Sheen out there, there is the same number - if not more - upstanding wealthy kids. They just don't end up in the news.

What's the difference between you and Tim Tebow? $20Million. He probably does more good than you.

Edited by anatess

Okay, true story:

Manny Pacquiao had a birthday party last Dec 17, 2010. Rumor has it that he spent over P10Million on his bday. What did he spend it on?

There was food and drinks galore... good enough to feed an entire town.

He hired a popular singer/band to provide the entertainment for the entire night... which was a good thing because, otherwise, his mother would have sang/danced for the guests the entire night. She's good but she's not THAT good. Manny would have been obliged to sing more than one obligatory song, as well!

He had an hourly drawing of P1Million and a new car for the guests.

One of the guests was the President of the Philippines.

But... most of the guests were... THE ENTIRE TOWN. Note: Manny Pacquiao lives in a town with a very high poverty level.

Now, I will dare you to tell Manny Pacquiao what a spoiled brat he is.

Okay, true story:

Manny Pacquiao had a birthday party last Dec 17, 2010. Rumor has it that he spent over P10Million on his bday. What did he spend it on?

There was food and drinks galore... good enough to feed an entire town.

He hired a popular singer/band to provide the entertainment for the entire night... which was a good thing because, otherwise, his mother would have sang/danced for the guests the entire night. She's good but she's not THAT good. Manny would have been obliged to sing more than one obligatory song, as well!

He had an hourly drawing of P1Million and a new car for the guests.

One of the guests was the President of the Philippines.

But... most of the guests were... THE ENTIRE TOWN. Note: Manny Pacquiao lives in a town with a very high poverty level.

Imagine, having the town get a chance to party with the President.

Now, I will dare you to tell Manny Pacquiao what a spoiled brat he is.

President Hinckley called on us to purchase a modest home and stay within our means. The Book of Mormon teaches us that our moneys will go to the building up the kingdom of God and providing for the poor.

I don't see that as excusing a millionaire from being very frugal. Yes, he may buy a home that is more expensive than mine, but that does not excuse a multi-million dollar home or birthday party. God will hold us accountable for this.

Now, if you only wish to discuss things on a secular/liberty base, yes the rich can blow their money on what they want. However, I feel confident that Donald Trump will someday have to explain his excesses, while Bill Gates - who has spent 1/3 of his wealth on his charity - will have less to justify.

President Hinckley called on us to purchase a modest home and stay within our means. The Book of Mormon teaches us that our moneys will go to the building up the kingdom of God and providing for the poor.

I don't see that as excusing a millionaire from being very frugal. Yes, he may buy a home that is more expensive than mine, but that does not excuse a multi-million dollar home or birthday party. God will hold us accountable for this.

Now, if you only wish to discuss things on a secular/liberty base, yes the rich can blow their money on what they want. However, I feel confident that Donald Trump will someday have to explain his excesses, while Bill Gates - who has spent 1/3 of his wealth on his charity - will have less to justify.

And still, you have not asked the question... what was the $2Million spent on?

You make generalizations based on your prejudiced view on what $2Million means to you.

That is for the questioning the Lord will ask such a person. I suppose setting up your child in a business may qualify, but I can't imagine what else of good value could be spent on a birthday party. The reality is, many of these birthday parties being done today are all about hedonism.

So, if you are pro-hedonism, go for it.

And as it is, I've noticed you hadn't asked what the $2M was spent on, either....

OK, behind every spoiled brat is a parent or parents. In these parties that I have seen so far one parent was keeping what they were spending from the other parent. One parent said over and over," I always wanted to be..." Another was determine that her step mother was not going to turn a pirate theme party into a disco. I felt sorry for the kid. He just wanted a pirate theme party. I think he had more fun sword fighting with his dad in the end.

I was a party clown for years. I did some very large parties. I have done some small parties. I agree the children were not all spoiled brats. I do agree that sometimes in those large parties you begin to wonder exactly who the party was for, the child or the parents.

I guess I am at the age where I wonder sometimes if we are doing all that we can do to teach our children how important it is to live within our means. Just because we can afford to spend a million does not mean you should.

Anatess, I can so understand your point, but then I wonder how those people in that "very high poverty level" felt the day after the party. I would have more respect for the man if he had started some kind of industry to help those in need with the money he spent for one day.

I respect those who can and do take the time to make their children feel special on this day. I am just saying that you do not have to spend a bundle to do that. The love you have for your child should be more then what you can spend on them for a party. What if you went broke? Would your child know you still love them if you could not buy him or her these things? Could your little princess be a princess if you spent $50.00 instead of 30,000 on her. Could your little pirate be a pirate for less? Could your little rockstar be a rockstar? The answer is yes.