switching wards?

Guest saintish

Well now you know that you have to get permission to switch wards and have your records moved with you. Permission from your Stake Pres. and First Pres. And I'm pretty sure the 'why' behind your wanting to switch wards will not bode well when presented to them. It is not just a logistics matter, it is a matter of spiritual growth for you, for your wife, and for that HP.

You cannot get a temple recommend to be sealed to your wife without attending sacrament meeting.

So you have to ask yourself, do you love her more than you hate him?

You don't have to force her, and you won't have to, stop all communication with that man, look for reasons to attend your ward. If you don't get permission to switch, find some friends, do your home teaching and get to know those lives that you have stewardship to care for.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mormonmusic

If you attend another Ward, you can go and participate in meetings and such, but your Bishop in the new Ward can't give you a calling -- that's the rub. Plus you'll probably have your home teachers all over you from your geogrphical Ward if you stop coming -- if they are that organized. You'll have to deal with that.

The Stake president is the one who has to approve Ward jumping without a change of address, and if it puts you in a different Stake, it's even more complicated, I understand.

Simplest thing is to move if you have that flexibility. I have a problem in that I bought a house in a Ward that I don't like much. Love the house, love the proximity to work, stores, attractions, and even the closeness of the Church building. But don't like the experiences we've had in this particular Ward (STRANGE things and a general lack of commitment overall). Some big messes which I managed to resolve from an interpersonal standpoint; but this typifies the kinds of negative experiences we've put up with frequently in this particular Ward.

We are thinking of buying a foreclosure condo REALLY CHEAP and using it as an office for myself, and using that address as our address for Church purposes so we can attend a different Ward. We've been thinking of the office thing for a while now, and it makes sense.

When I read your post, I was reminded of the story Thomas B. Marsh. Do not let hard feelings towards an imperfect servant of the Lord destroy your faith. The Church is true, you know it. Your wife knows it. To let anger cloud your judgement is exactly what the adversary desires.

I am not saying that you must forgive the offender (although the Savior would disagree, and tell you that you must, even if he doesn't acknowledge guilt or appologize), but you must continue to grow your faith; which is helped most through regular church attendance and through callings in your ward.

Why do people keep saying the simplest thing is to move? Moving is never simple, especially if you own your home.

The simplest thing is simply to attend the ward of your choosing until the situation changes. So you can't have a calling or give a talk. Big deal. Only real issues stem from the time to renew your recommend, or if other ordinances need to be performed, such as baptising a child. Tithing can be done by mail, so that is a non issue also.

If you attend another Ward, you can go and participate in meetings and such, but your Bishop in the new Ward can't give you a calling -- that's the rub. Plus you'll probably have your home teachers all over you from your geogrphical Ward if you stop coming -- if they are that organized. You'll have to deal with that.

Can't get a temple recommend out of unit, either.

Why do people keep saying the simplest thing is to move? Moving is never simple, especially if you own your home.

No kidding. I don't get it either.

Can't get a temple recommend out of unit, either.

No kidding. I don't get it either.

Simple and easy aren't the same thing. He can try to get his ward changed by going through the Stake President but there isn't any guarantee and he's going to have to explain himself. Moving requires no explanation and can't really be shot down by leadership.

Though thinking on it more the simplest thing is for his wife to learn to get over things, no explanation required and no dealing with finances.

Guest saintish

Though thinking on it more the simplest thing is for his wife to learn to get over things, no explanation required and no dealing with finances.

easy for an outsider to say

I had a member go up to my Bishop once and tell him he had a problem with me being in the ward. My Bishop told me (without any names) and asked me what do I want to do? I told him the only answer I had "If I go to another ward, I'm only going to have the same issues there too. So why bother moving?" The Church is full of imperfect people. We need to learn to live with them. It's all part of having a Christ-like attitude. I don't doubt they hurt you. So you move. And what will you do if someone in your new ward hurts you by telling you that you don't belong there? It will happen because that's the way some people are.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

The simplest thing is simply to attend the ward of your choosing until the situation changes. So you can't have a calling or give a talk. Big deal. Only real issues stem from the time to renew your recommend, or if other ordinances need to be performed, such as baptising a child. Tithing can be done by mail, so that is a non issue also.

What about the issue of home / visiting teachers? They will be unable to be assigned. They can bring an amazing spirit into most homes they enter.

Guest saintish

What about the issue of home / visiting teachers? They will be unable to be assigned. They can bring an amazing spirit into most homes they enter.

They can still be assigned, even if they are assigned from the geographical ward. I actually knew a man who did this, cant remember what his reasons were though.

They can still be assigned, even if they are assigned from the geographical ward. I actually knew a man who did this, cant remember what his reasons were though.

Yes, they are assigned from the ward your residence belongs in unless you get your records transferred to the new ward. That's one of the main considerations for ward transfers - if you live 30 miles away from ward boundaries, there's a strong likelihood you won't get approved simply because it may not be feasible for any visiting/home teachers.

This is also the same for missionaries. Ward missionaries usually work within ward boundaries. So, you will get a visit from the missionaries in the ward of your residence instead of the other ward even if your records have been transferred.

You would still have a home teacher assigned to you from your ward of record. If they visit or not is up to them. When I was in this situation, I still had occasional visits. It didn't bother me if they didn't visit, as I knew i was not doing it either and so I did not expect it.

The bottom line, as I told the Stake president of the ward I was attending at the time(same building shared by 2 stakes) : Which is the better option 1) go to a ward I am not assigned to or 2) not go at all. He agreed better that we go somewhere rather than nowhere.

And things changed, 9 months went by and we resumed going to the correct ward.

• 1 year later...

I also am wanting to leave my branch. My branch president has been beating around the bush when it comes to my temple recommend. He puts others before me and takes so long that I have to go home and try again the next week. I am an RN and work at a regional hospital in the area I live. I used to work nights on the weekends which makes Sunday's hard. My husband also works saturday night and we have 3 small children, One with autism. I am also the branch choristor. I try my hardest to get to church on time but sometimes it doesn't work out. I do have a backup choristor that was called to help me out. I don't know if he is upset with me because he feels that I am not giving it my all or if he is mad because one time I was supposed to take care of him and I had to say no because I am not allowed to take care of people I know. Last Sunday was the worst of it all. That time he put the potluck in front of me. He said, " I am sick of being one of the last in line and not getting enough food." When he finally decided to do something, he went to my husband and asked him if he was ready to do his recommend. Of course, my husband was offended and so was I. We still don't have our recommends. I have never heard of a president or Bishop deny anyone an interview for a temple recommend. I even switched shifts so that I could have a more productive Sunday... I know 100% that I would pass and interview if I were given the chance to have one. I pay tithe, keep the word of wisdom, try the best I can at my callings, teach my chilren..... I am just filled with sadness and never want to go back to that branch again. I need my recommend! It is essential! Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. What would you do?