Sending a package to a "dry Mormon". What should I include?

lizzy16

One other book I would recommend, Lectures on Faith. It's not a long volume, but it's packed with thought-provoking information. Also see if he has a smartphone. There is an app called Reveal Reader that has a ton of LDS content on it. It's also free :D

That way he can have stuff to study when he has a spare moment between study sessions. One other good book, Gospel Principles. Tell him to go through it one chapter at a time, whichever one interests him as he goes, or in order....either way works just fine.

Lizzy, how do you know this boy's parents don't mind your efforts to prosyletize him? Did they tell you directly or did Luke assure you that they don't care? We were all teenagers once. How often did we assume that our parents didn't care about something when in fact they cared very much? Are they really informed this exchange is going on? It seems this question is being glossed over far too quickly and we're falling into the trap of situational ethics in that we are eager to do something that would enrage us if it were our children somebody was trying to convert to another faith.

The religious upbringing of children is near and dear an issue to most parents.

Lizzy, how do you know this boy's parents don't mind your efforts to prosyletize him? Did they tell you directly or did Luke assure you that they don't care? We were all teenagers once. How often did we assume that our parents didn't care about something when in fact they cared very much? Are they really informed this exchange is going on? It seems this question is being glossed over far too quickly and we're falling into the trap of situational ethics in that we are eager to do something that would enrage us if it were our children somebody was trying to convert to another faith.

The religious upbringing of children is near and dear an issue to most parents.

Just curious, but let's put the shoe on the other foot by me asking you a question.

Pretend she (Lizzy) were Catholic, and she was engaged in the exact same situation in trying to bring someone interested in the Catholic Church closer to full membership.

Would you still be so sensetive about the parent's wishes? Especially since it appears that she's addressed this question with the young man already?

Just curious, but let's put the shoe on the other foot by me asking you a question.

Pretend she (Lizzy) were Catholic, and she was engaged in the exact same situation in trying to bring someone interested in the Catholic Church closer to full membership.

Would you still be so sensetive about the parent's wishes? Especially since it appears that she's addressed this question with the young man already?

Yes.

The Golden Rule.

And no it doesn't appear from my previous question and Lizzy's response that this question was dealt with in a direct manner. It was not clarified that the parents were informed and agreeable to this, an indication that this important step was bypassed.

Yes.

The Golden Rule.

And no it doesn't appear from my previous question and Lizzy's response that this question was dealt with in a direct manner. It was not clarified that the parents were informed and agreeable to this, an indication that this important step was bypassed.

I guess one of the easiest ways to address this is by saying luke is a member of the site, spent a great deal of time on the site during the summer, many times he mentioned his parents knowing he was on the site and really not caring as long as when school came he devoted his energy to school. School came along he kept his part of the bargain it seems cause he's not on too much.

Though i do agree with st.michael on this one, most LDS parent i know would have a fit if someone was giving their child conversion materials with out them being asked first.

I can see both sides to this. Though I find it a little sad that a thread from a teenager who is only trying to do a good thing for a friend, is somewhat being condemned for it at the same time.

I guess one of the easiest ways to address this is by saying luke is a member of the site, spent a great deal of time on the site during the summer, many times he mentioned his parents knowing he was on the site and really not caring as long as when school came he devoted his energy to school. School came along he kept his part of the bargain it seems cause he's not on too much.

Though i do agree with st.michael on this one, most LDS parent i know would have a fit if someone was giving their child conversion materials with out them being asked first.

Thanks Soul :) I haven't spoken to his parents directly. From what I've gleaned from his friends/fb, asked and double checked with him his parents wont mind.

And, after all lukes studying and (kyle and luke) hearing me rant on about random things that I don't want to bug people with they both kinda deserve it :)

Edited by lizzy16