Am I The Only One Stocking Up On..Bini's version

Bini

There are many many MANY kinds of mangoes. As Anatess has pointed out—that—is NOT a good mango. So if that's what you've eaten, you'll be disappointed. I won't even touch those.. The yellow ones are the best tasting.

I've never had a good fresh mango (I like dried and juice). But I grew up in Alaska and live in Utah, neither of which are known for their mango groves. You know, I'm kinda glad I didn't serve my mission somewhere with amazing cheap fruit like Southeast Asia or South America/Mexico. I'm afraid it would have ruined my tastebuds for what I usually encounter.

Good thing you're moving to Indiana. They've got amazing mangoes there.

:rolleyes:

I might just have to take the advice. I always got the mango in the first picture... the apparently bad mango.

I've always had the mango in the first picture, too, and aside from not liking to peel and cut them up, I've loved them! Mangoes and chili powder -- mmmmmmmm!!!

Good thing you're moving to Indiana. They've got amazing mangoes there.

:rolleyes:

I should be good for corn though. Actually I'm doing my best to convince my betrothed to let me plant a fruit tree and some grape vines (or berry bushes if the climate zones don't work out).

I know it's silly of me, but I'm amused by the thought of going to the Asian food store to buy the Mexican Grown mango. :D

I know exactly what you mean!

The mexican mangoes are smaller than the Philippine mangoes and the Philippine mangoes are more sour when green (which is really great tasting with shrimp paste - knocks your socks off) and more sweet when ripe - check the mango juice you are drinking, I betcha they're made in the Philippines! Also, the Philippine mango doesn't have as many "threads" that stick between your teeth when you scrape the meat off the seed.

That's really the bad part of the red-looking mango - it has lots of "threads" all over the meat - even the farthest you get from the seed. It's annoying to eat. The texture is also slightly different - more mushy.

Anyway, I have not seen Philippine mangoes in any Asian store aside from the one in jars or dried. All the mangoes they have are the smaller Mexican version.

Yeah, Mexican in an Asian store... lol!

Wow what have I missed? We seem to have jumped from light bulbs to mangoes. :)

Apparently people are worried about the mercury levels in the red-green mangos and are stocking up on the yellow ones before they are banned.

Edited by Dravin

I should be good for corn though. Actually I'm doing my best to convince my betrothed to let me plant a fruit tree and some grape vines (or berry bushes if the climate zones don't work out).

My in-laws live in Southern Indiana (about an hour and a half from Indy) and have fruit trees in their yard. Good luck!

My in-laws live in Southern Indiana (about an hour and a half from Indy) and have fruit trees in their yard. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity what fruit(s)? One can grow apples almost anywhere it seems (there are varieties with zone 2 hardiness*), though I'd probably prefer a peach, plum, or cherry. Indianapolis is 5a or 5b, so I can probably find varieties of said fruits that'll work.

* For those not familiar with USDA plant hardiness zones that's -40F to -50F minimum seasonal temperature.

Just out of curiosity what fruit(s)? One can grow apples almost anywhere it seems (there are varieties with zone 2 hardiness*), though I'd probably prefer a peach, plum, or cherry. Indianapolis is 5a or 5b, so I can probably find varieties of said fruits that'll work.

* For those not familiar with USDA plant hardiness zones that's -40F to -50F minimum seasonal temperature.

They do have a cherry bush, which is already blooming. They have hybrid trees, instead of individuals: apricot, "fruit cocktail" (peaches, plums, nectarines, pears, but so far they've only gotten peaches and plums from it), and a five-type apple that has yet to produce anything. These have all been planted sometime in the last three years.

My MIL said that peaches, cherries, plums, apricots, pears, and several types of apples should grow fine in the area. Some varieties require two for cross-pollination, so you need to research that. Also, they have dwarf trees, which are smaller so they can actually reach them. My FIL said that peaches might not work "that far north" but harder fruits and plums should be fine.

Hm... Reliance peaches are rated zones 4-8 (ripening early August in zone 5), but I trust a 'local' over the generalized nature of the hardiness zones. Bummer, Beefche loves peaches. Actually I still have to convince her to let me so it's a moot point until I manage to do so anyway.

I figured since I cut down a tree in her back yard for her when I visited on Christmas break I should be able to decide what replaces it. :)

Edited by Dravin

Hm... Reliance peaches are rated zones 4-8 (ripening early August in zone 5), but I trust a 'local' over the generalized nature of the hardiness zones. Bummer, Beefche loves peaches. Actually I still have to convince her to let me so it's a moot point until I manage to do so anyway.

I figured since I cut down a tree in her back yard for her when I visited on Christmas break I should be able to decide what replaces it. :)

Well, the one thing my FIL (I'm visiting them right now) said about the peaches on their tree is that they're difficult to split, so they're great for eating, but not for canning. My in-laws have only lived here for almost four years -- they're New England transplants, not true natives, but have been growing here for a few years, and have always been gardeners.

Well, the one thing my FIL (I'm visiting them right now) said about the peaches on their tree is that they're difficult to split, so they're great for eating, but not for canning. My in-laws have only lived here for almost four years -- they're New England transplants, not true natives, but have been growing here for a few years, and have always been gardeners.

Yeah, one definitely wants freestone varieties for canning. It is interesting, I wonder how much of us never stop to consider that what makes a good canning fruit and what makes a good out of hand fruit is generally opposite characteristics (less sweet and harder versus more sweet and softer).

Oh well, thought and discussion has a plan of planting a cherry tree and some black currants for the eastern exposure along the house (my understanding is black currants will do okay in the partial sun environment).

Focus people... mangoes! We're talking about mangoes!

I would be neat to be able to plant a mango tree in the back yard.

Edited by Dravin