Inside Bin Ladden mind and his interpretation of islam

bcguy

"He takes scriptural imperatives at their face value and believes this is the only instruction and command God has given him - unmediated by history, unmediated by understanding, unmediated by human experience. Now that's a difference between Muslim orthodoxy and what I would call uber- or hyperscripturalists," Moosa said.

"What bin Laden ends up doing is saying anyone who disagrees with him, any Muslim, is in fact an apostate," he said. That includes Muslims who would not join his fight, he said. "It's a distortion of the traditional teaching, and it just extends the parameters and the consequences in order to legitimate how when you're fighting on the ground you're fighting against your own people."

Well, let's make it about LDS gospel discussion. The quotes I took summarize Bin Laden's trip into the rabbit hole. Are we ever guilty of doing this?

Are we ever guilty of doing this?

How about this one:

If memory serves, it was during my final year at BYU-Provo (though it could have been shortly after graduation). I think everyone is familiar with the strict dress and grooming standard BYU requires to be a good student, but which aren't required of all church members to be good church members. My wife and I were visiting family in southern Idaho and had stopped at a restaurant in Logan. Our server was a young man. The first thing I noticed about him was that he had a pony tail (which means is hair was too long). I immediately felt smug and superior because, "he wouldn't be 'worthy' to enter the testing center to take a test, or check out a book from the HBLL." The 2nd thing I noticed about him was what looked like garments under his shirt. The Spirit immediately convicted me. I don't know for sure if this young man was even LDS, but for all I knew, he could have been an RM, temple worthy, EQ president in his student ward, or otherwise a faithful member of the church. I don't think I've ever been outwardly judgmental of others, but I realized in that moment that I need to make sure that I try not to see people through the lens of my own perceptions of right and wrong which can be superficial, but to look at them through what God defines as right and wrong.

I think one way we do this is to judge each other based on certain "cultural" norms that we have been practicing for years or generations, but which aren't really part of the gospel, or that are "policy" type things that can change.