Cooking with wine/alcohol?

Fascism

Lots of existing threads on this topic.

Abridged version: The heat does not "cook out" all the alcohol, unless you cook out all the water at the same time. This is because water and alcohol form an azeotrope. But alcohol is a food substance, present in trace amounts in basically everything containing sugar. The Word of Wisdom warns against "strong drinks", interpreted as "alcoholic drinks" such as beer, wine, and distilled spirits. Many Latter-day Saints are understandably concerned about consuming alcohol used in cooking, but it does not appear to be specifically prohibited by the Word of Wisdom. If the topic is bothering you, read Section 89 and talk with your bishop.

Cooking with alcohol does cause the alcohol to burn off, meaning you wont get a buzz from your cabernet chicken. BUT that being said, the only benefit of flavor the alcohol would add to the dish is the sugar content, and fermented sugar is not healthy.

Also alcohol will neutralize many esscential vitamins and minerals that your body needs and which you normally get from the food you eat. If these important minerals are being depleted from the alchocl it reduces the nutrition of your mean. And don't we eat to noursih our bodies. Just food for thought. ;o))

Guest Godless

Cooking with alcohol does cause the alcohol to burn off, meaning you wont get a buzz from your cabernet chicken. BUT that being said, the only benefit of flavor the alcohol would add to the dish is the sugar content, and fermented sugar is not healthy.

Also alcohol will neutralize many esscential vitamins and minerals that your body needs and which you normally get from the food you eat. If these important minerals are being depleted from the alchocl it reduces the nutrition of your mean. And don't we eat to noursih our bodies. Just food for thought. ;o))

That may be true of wine (or not, I honestly have no clue), but not necessarily beer. There's a reason why it's historically been called "liquid bread", and often treated as its own food group in centuries past.

Also, there's another term for fermented sugar. I believe it's called alcohol. :P

Don't know about whether alcohol burns off in most instances of cooking, although if you cook it over a fire (say, grilling) it will. And it's true, most things have trace amounts of alcohol in them. Even milk has a measurable, if insignificant amount. I don't think it's worth worrying about if it's less than 1 proof.

Unless you eat everything cooked in alcohol I don't consider it breaking the word of wisdom. I'm not aware of people getting a buzz off of beer battered shrimp.

It all comes down to what you feel is right for yourself. I don't think there is a written law anywhere.