Usernames

slamjet

I don't think I have ever actually told this story to anyone before.

Once, fifteen or more years ago, I received a spam email. Back then, spam was still rare enough that you typically read the spam emails you got. This one was very different from most, however. The writer was desperately asking to find someone with a temporal vortex. He "knew" time travel was possible and wanted to cut through the hooey and find someone with a temporal vortex.

I didn't know what his game was, exactly, but I decided to play along. I created a hotmail account under the name "mistervortex" and replied to him, giving him a schedule of all my temporal-related services, including a large dose of nonsensical, sci-fi-type terminology. The guy got back to me, telling me he'd pay and desperately pleading for me to help him out. I was baffled. I told my brother about it, and he said the guy sounded mentally ill. Honestly, that had never occurred to me. I immediately felt bad about it and didn't send the guy any more emails.

But I liked the name "mistervortex" so much that I ended up making another one, "vortexman". The name associated with that account was, predictably, "Vort Exman".

PS I just went to sign on to my old mistervortex account, which I probably haven't done since Microsoft bought out Hotmail. Guess what? Didn't exist. So I recreated it. I'll probably never use it, but doggone it, I'm MisterVortex!

I thought it had something to do with valdimort for for some reason.. or an alien.

lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

So I throw out three questions:

1) How did you come up with your screen name?

2) Does your screen name have any particular meaning?

3) What is your general opinion and/or thoughts on others screen names?

My uncle gave it to me. My shortened name is Tory. I was/am a "nuisance" so my birthday card one year was addressed to "Torrence" he even picked the spelling too :D

I think some are quite clever. I like to hear/read why people get their names. Thanks for the great idea.

I also use "Fiddlesticks". When I first started the computer thing the teacher started the class by saying "No using swear words. :cursing: " So that was the cleanest swear word I could use.