Does anyone know any good non-scripture church books?

apexviper13

I'm interested in books that contain the following:

History of the church

Teachings of the prophets and apostles (both old and latter-day)

Explanations of Doctrines

Connections between Early Christianity and the church

I'm knowledgeable about quite a lot of this but I want to learn more.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith is the obvious starting place.

History of the Church and the Documentary History often pass for primary sources.

Journal of Discourses is a priceless collection of early sermons, speeches, and lectures.

Hugh W. Nibley had a lot to say about early Christianity vs. the restored Church, much of which is still relevant and all of which is interesting.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith is the obvious starting place.

History of the Church and the Documentary History often pass for primary sources.

Journal of Discourses is a priceless collection of early sermons, speeches, and lectures.

Hugh W. Nibley had a lot to say about early Christianity vs. the restored Church, much of which is still relevant and all of which is interesting.

Those are the obvious ones but thanks. I'm particularly interested in books that explain doctrines as well.

Guest tbaird22

Lectures on Faith, The Messiah Series (Jesus the Christ but by Bruce), and like Vort mentioned Hugh Nibley books i believe its actually titled "Mormonism and Early Christianity". Its my next read im still in Temples and Cosmos.

Robert Millet's books are all good.

EDIT: I also like John Bytheway and Gene R Cook (usually talks on CD).

Pathways to Perfection, Miracle of Forgiveness, any and all Biographies of the prophets and apostles.

We were shown some of John Bytheway's videos in Seminary. He's really good. We have Miracle of Forgiveness which is one of a few books we have that I didn't know including Jesus the Christ by James Talmage. We also have Getting At the Truth by Millet. All of these are great but I still want more. I simply enjoy learning about the church, the doctrines, and Early Christianity connections.

We were shown some of John Bytheway's videos in Seminary. He's really good. We have Miracle of Forgiveness which is one of a few books we have that I didn't know including Jesus the Christ by James Talmage. We also have Getting At the Truth by Millet. All of these are great but I still want more. I simply enjoy learning about the church, the doctrines, and Early Christianity connections.

Millet has written quite a few books. I know I have more than 10 of them.

Also Henry B. Eyring's "Because He Loved Us" and "Draw Closer to the Lord"

And Jeffery R. Holland's "Broken Things to Mend", "Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon", "Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments: A Classic Message on the Power of Personal Purity"

.... there are so many.

May I suggest Deseret Book's website?

Guest LiterateParakeet

Anything by James Ferrell...He wrote three books as I recall...The Peacegiver is my favorite. It is a wonderful resource about how we can apply the Atonement in our lives...not just for repentance...

I'm interested in books that contain the following:

History of the church

Teachings of the prophets and apostles (both old and latter-day)

Explanations of Doctrines

Connections between Early Christianity and the church

I'm knowledgeable about quite a lot of this but I want to learn more.

James Talmage and Hughe Nibley are good reads.