So Who Is Going To Call It Racism?

Fiannan

A majority of Latino immigrants, 58.9 percent, said few or almost no blacks are hardworking. Nearly one-third said few if any blacks are easy to get along with. And nearly 57 percent said few if any blacks could be trusted.

http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-751477.html

This kind of stuff must really confuse liberals. I mean, aren't white people the only people who are racist in the world?

I call it racism.

Serving with Mexican immigrants in California, I spoke to several who felt that Blacks were lazy, stupid, violent, good for nothing, etc. Each one also ended it with "see, we don't like them anymore than white people."

I somehow got the impression that latino racism was a misguided attempt to identify and share beliefs with white people. Turn issues of poverty and violence into a "latino/white vs. black" thing.

From my experience, there is also a color thing amongst Latino subgroups. Darker the skin the more prejudice. I know that is a generality. I'm only speaking from experience.

Dr. T

Having spent time in Mexico, I can only say that this is also true there.

Ethnically, the darker skinned Mexicans have a more indiginous heritage than the lighter, who have more DNA with it's origin in Spain.

Each one also ended it with "see, we don't like them anymore than white people."

I somehow got the impression that latino racism was a misguided attempt to identify and share beliefs with white people. Turn issues of poverty and violence into a "latino/white vs. black" thing.

I think he means "see, we don't like them (African Americans)any more than (you) white people do".

But, the fact is that like classic Black "reverse racism", many Hispanics living in the US are very, very prejudiced against anglo Americans.

Guest just_jason76

I have ZERO tolerance for racism. Recently my family went out to dinner and as I pulled out of the parking lot a car zipped in front of me. My mother-in-law, sitting in the passenger seat, yelled, "Watch out! They're Asian." Oh boy, that set me off. I jumped down her throat and told her how that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Her defense was that she got hit one time by someone who happened to be Asian. I know just as many white, black, and hispanic drivers that get in accidents too. After we had cooled off and apologized to each other she said "I just want you to know that I'm not racist." What? You can't say 'Watch out! They're Asian' and not be racist.

One thing I hate is when people unneccesarily use the color of skin to describe someone. For example, "I was talking to this black guy today...", or "I have this Mexican friend..." Why do we have to do that? That is a form of racism. Just because you don't burn crosses or beat someone up because of their skin color, doesn't mean little comments like that aren't racist comments.

I know the Lord is not pleased when that happens. No matter the race, we are all God's children and He loves us equally. I just wish we could treat one another like brothers and sisters instead of enemies.

Hi heather,

I guess you're also opposed to BET (black entertainment television), Black history month, the United Negro College Fund, etc?

I agree that these things are not a solution in and of themselves, but I think they'd argue that it provides some balance in a predominately white country.

I think it is okay to use color to describe anyone or anything just so that it is used as a description.

Bill: Who was that you were speaking to in the parking lot last Thursday?

Bob: You will need to refresh my memory some

Bill: Well he/she was short, kinda round, had big ears...and a larger nose.

Bob: Humm not coming to me...

Bill: Oh yeah and he/she was also BLUE

Bob: Oh that was my friend Smurf!

I have ZERO tolerance for racism. Recently my family went out to dinner and as I pulled out of the parking lot a car zipped in front of me. My mother-in-law, sitting in the passenger seat, yelled, "Watch out! They're Asian." Oh boy, that set me off. I jumped down her throat and told her how that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Her defense was that she got hit one time by someone who happened to be Asian. I know just as many white, black, and hispanic drivers that get in accidents too. After we had cooled off and apologized to each other she said "I just want you to know that I'm not racist." What? You can't say 'Watch out! They're Asian' and not be racist.

One thing I hate is when people unneccesarily use the color of skin to describe someone. For example, "I was talking to this black guy today...", or "I have this Mexican friend..." Why do we have to do that? That is a form of racism. Just because you don't burn crosses or beat someone up because of their skin color, doesn't mean little comments like that aren't racist comments.

I know the Lord is not pleased when that happens. No matter the race, we are all God's children and He loves us equally. I just wish we could treat one another like brothers and sisters instead of enemies.

I like your last comment but you seem awful sensitive -- maybe to the extreme. Maybe masking a few dormant aspects of your upbringing that you want to hide? Freud called it "reaction formation".

Lighten up and chill out -- a friend of mine (yes, who is black) jokes around all the time about race. I like his joke that he can't understand anti-semitism in the black community. He jokes that it shouldn't matter to a black man if someone is Irish, Jewish or Arab -- they are white and he should hate them equally (note: he's married to a Swede).

You know what's racist? The black entertainment awards, and every other award show based on race. Could you imagine the uproar over an award show called "The white entertainment awards"?

What I'm offering is an explanation, not my agreement. So, here it goes:

Minorities that consider themselves to have been oppressed--and particularly African Americans--sometimes argue that it is impossible for them to be "racist" or "oppressive," because they are in a position of weakness. So, it is the majority culture that bares the guilt and the burden. So Black Pride, or Hispanic Pride, etc. are celebrations of success over difficulty and against the odds. White Pride is racist, exclusionary, and has the appearance wanting to keep the rest down.

I don't agree that minorities cannot be racist, etc., but there is at least some truth to the notion that the majority culture must exercise more caution, restraint, etc. than the others. Think of it as the elephant in the china shop. Or, just being the good host.

Hi heather,

I guess you're also opposed to BET (black entertainment television), Black history month, the United Negro College Fund, etc?

I agree that these things are not a solution in and of themselves, but I think they'd argue that it provides some balance in a predominately white country.

Yes. I'm also opposed to anyone saying that it's okay for them to use a certain word, do a certain act, or be part of something that only their race is allowed to participate in. In my mind, it annuls everything established by those who fought so hard to demand their civil liberties. Telling me what I can or can't do is like telling Rosa Parks "You can't sit there." In my mind, no one should use the "N" word; I don't care what or who you are. It’s an awful, horrible word. The mere mention of it makes me think of Mildred Taylor books and young boys being hung. To see segregation today in such form makes me think how little we have progressed. It is false empowerment.

Is it right to ask anyone to pay or support the "positive" discrimination that those different organizations promote? Making it so the new oppressed groups are the White Middle Class Male population, who has to step aside to allow less qualified groups through because they had the fortune of being born in to a protected class in a day and age where there is enough education and enlightenment to make a protected class a very outdated term.

I know that I am seeing things as they should be, and not how they are. But if I were to support this modern day notion of "separate but equal," it would go against everything I feel to be right.

A majority of Latino immigrants, 58.9 percent, said few or almost no blacks are hardworking. Nearly one-third said few if any blacks are easy to get along with. And nearly 57 percent said few if any blacks could be trusted.

http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-751477.html

This kind of stuff must really confuse liberals. I mean, aren't white people the only people who are racist in the world?

Fiannan, I think you are confused about liberals. I am liberal, and I call that racism. No, white people are not the only people who can be racist.

Dror

Guest just_jason76

Hi just_jason76,

I grew up in Los Angeles (very diverse). When we were growing up if I heard someone say, "I was talking to tihs white guy the other day." Would you see that as racism?

Thanks

Yes, I would see that as a form of racism. Again, I don't believe that all racism is the KKK cross-burning type or the Rodney King type. Referring to a person's race when it is unneccessary to do so is a form of racism, albeit a small form. I'm not saying that we're all sinners, nor should we be labeled as racists, as I'm sure most of us have made similar comments at one point in our lives. I just think maybe we could all take a look at how we deal with those of other races.

Hello Fiannan,

It is the concept of going beyond an individual. The racism is systemically infused. This form looks at the broader institutions in a society. These forms can be overtly racist (i.e., specifically excluding people-of-color from services) or inherently racist (i.e., adopting policies that while not specifically directed at excluding people-of-color, nevertheless result in their exclusion). These institutional behaviors can “harm people-of-color; and, when it does, it is nonetheless racist in outcome if not in intent.”

Here it is here

(I didn't do it right. What did I miss?)

Guest just_jason76

I think it is okay to use color to describe anyone or anything just so that it is used as a description.

Straw, that instance would warrant a description of the person's color and would not be considered racist, in my opinion.

<div class='quotemain'>

Straw, that instance would warrant a description of the person's color and would not be considered racist, in my opinion.

That was my point if used just a part of the description of someone then it is ok.

Awhile back my son read me a foreword text message trying to stump dear ol mom.

What do you can a black man who flies a plane at night?

Immediatly I said a pilot and was right.

The punchline if someone were to get it wrong was "A pilot, are you raciest?"

In the news there has been a lot of talk about immigration and guarding our boarders. In Southern Utah it is one of the top areas on the nation for growth and construction. There are also a lot of hard workers who are hispanic. I have spoken with employer and they saw that people just don't want to do hard labor anymore but the hispanic workers are grateful to have a job. I have heard some bad things said about people moving in and taking jobs that should go to "native workers". I believe that people are people, some are good and some are not but that is proven by WHO they are not the color of their skin.

Guest just_jason76

About that whole guarding the borders issue. I'm for it, and it has nothing to do with race. I'm sick of people coming here illegally and taking away from the healthcare and other things from my family, who is here legally. It doesn't matter what race they are. It just so happens that most of them are hispanice. I say if they enter our country legally, then let them come. They've earned it. But if they're going to be sneaky and rob those who are here legally, they should be sent back and not allowed here.