When Close To God

Dr T

Hi MBASS,

First of all, I thought your post was very, very good and filled with a lot of good thoughts. And I was NOT thinking any negative thoughts from what you said, even though I could see you've had some bad experiences, because your post was centered on sharing your good thoughts about the good things you have experienced, even though you had to go through some bad experiences to learn them.

Second of all, please try to keep in mind both now and forever that I never intend to personally attack anyone in particular, even when I am speaking against evil. And I hope you and others will come to understand that about me. I NEVER attack ANYONE personally, including those who are my enemies, and Satan.

And last of all, what I meant was that I don't like hearing bad thoughts. The thoughts I like hearing are the good thoughts people have, and the good things they've experienced in their lives. And when some people mention some bad things they've experienced, if they overcame them, and share those thoughts, I LOVE hearing it. :)

Hi MBASS,

Thank you. Summarizing what you said, when not close to God there was, drinking, slumming (what is that?), very low self-esteem and felt unworthy of church, decent men, etc. When you feel close to God you started praying. You felt good, your self-esteem was better, and you felt like a true daughter of God. When closest, you see yourself serving your fellow man and you get a sense of total peace. Finally, while in the temple, you feel extremely close to the Lord. To answer your question, yes, that helps in what I am looking for. Thank you, MBASS!

Dr. T

Thank you S.F.,

So, you feel closest to God when “walking in the light of His Son.” You hold this as “doing things that Jesus would do.” Helping others, not judging others, and seeing them through the eyes of the Lord are some examples. When you say, “the human side of me needs to totally let go, such as in a crisis” can you tell me more about that. I know you elaborated a little but I could use some more understanding of “letting go”. What’s at the heart of that?

Thank you,

Dr. T

Hello Dr. T.

I know you like to learn from other people, but would you answer your opening post?

How do you feel when you feel close to God? And how is that different than at other times?

Thank you so much.

(And you can pretend that was asked by "The Closer" ;))

Thank you S.F.,

So, you feel closest to God when “walking in the light of His Son.” You hold this as “doing things that Jesus would do.” Helping others, not judging others, and seeing them through the eyes of the Lord are some examples. When you say, “the human side of me needs to totally let go, such as in a crisis” can you tell me more about that. I know you elaborated a little but I could use some more understanding of “letting go”. What’s at the heart of that?

Thank you,

Dr. T

During a crisis I have found that my power to do somethings has a limit. Once I reach the point where I can no longer make a difference I humble myself and turn it over to my Father. This happens in matters of life and death. I don't believe that we man has all of the power to do this. Sure we have trained doctors who practice medicine and I am very grateful to them. I still believe that our Father is in control.

When my mother passed away 3 years ago I was there as she took her last breath. I was very distraught and filled with sadness but at the same time I could feel others there with us gathered around my moms bed. The people (spirits) that had come for my mom gave me a grate sense of comfort and this carried me for days past her furneral. I feel that I was being carried in the arms of my Father in Heaven.

Something similar happened the day of Nicks accident. Information about his injuries came little bites at a time and therefore I was able to process it. I know that I felt they love of my Heavenly Father through the prayers of others. I remember details of that day as if they are in snapshots. I was being carried in the arms of my Heavenly Father.

The human side is that part of me that wants to control my surrounding. When I become humble and let go I am required to give up the natural man and give it (the crisis) to my Father in Heaven. Years ago I remember babysitting for some people who were Christian but not of my faith. On there wall was a plaque that said "Let go, and Let God" for years that didn't make sense to me, now it does.

Hi Ray of sunshine (as my brother-in-law lovingly calls you),

The purpose of asking this question is to see if I can identify any similarities and differences amongst religious groups. I'm interested in what behaviors (if any) change when close to God and one of my next threads will be on what behaviors/attitudes/etc are evident when not walking closely with God. I only reserve my opinion (right now) because I would hate to taint anyone’s real life experience based on mine. I'm interested in each person's individual experience to this OP. I will answer you (my) question after I get feedback and post what similarities that I see.

Thank you.

...Can you tell me what, in you life, happens when you are the closest to God? I mean, what does it look like for you? In other words, if I met you on the street and you were "walking closely with God" what would I observe? What is happening internally that I can't see?...

I would say for me that I feel very grounded, confident and at peace when I am closest to God. I'm not sure what exactly you would observe physically, except I guess that I'm quite calm when I have faith in God.

M.

Hi Maureen,

"At peace", "being ground" and "calm" are hard to define behaviorally/interpersonally. Those seem internal. They affect others in what way?

I would say because they make me a very rational, level-headed person, I am a better friend, wife and mother.

M.

So when you are closer to God, you feel "very rational, level-headed person, and a better friend, wife and mother" because you are calmer. Is that correct?

I think my calmness and security come from the hope I have for my life now and in the future and in the here-after. Which also includes how I relate to people in my life. If you're at peace with yourself, it is easier to take the time to make wise decision and learn from those decision, enjoy the present (which right now is watching my kids growing into fine young adults) and living life with a sense of purpose and hope.

M.