Could someone help with some questions about the Holy Ghost?

cooling

I guess specifically I'm curious as to what constitutes a testimony. I know what a testimony is by church definition, and I've read a bunch of testimonies online, but I feel like either that word is used to mean two different things, or there's a disconnect somewhere that I'm just not quite grasping. Is a testimony from the Holy Ghost the same thing as a testimony that you would bear? I'm confused because when I first read of testimonies from the Holy Ghost I always heard them described more as a deep sense of peace or a burning in the bosom or occasionally even as a voice giving testimony. Is that accurate, or am I way oversimplifying it?

So my assumption was that listening to or reading testimonies would be a lot of accounts of how the Holy Ghost testified to you and what you felt and how you came to believe and have faith, but all I've ever really seen is basically a couple variations of, "I know the church is true, I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, I know Joseph Smith was a prophet, etc..." I understand that standing up and saying that you know the church is true is the end result of having received a testimony, but can someone tell me more about what those testimonies actually felt like? I know it's different for everyone, but I find it absolutely fascinating and I'm having trouble finding a whole lot of specific information on the subject.

Thanks guys

I guess specifically I'm curious as to what constitutes a testimony. I know what a testimony is by church definition, and I've read a bunch of testimonies online, but I feel like either that word is used to mean two different things, or there's a disconnect somewhere that I'm just not quite grasping. Is a testimony from the Holy Ghost the same thing as a testimony that you would bear? I'm confused because when I first read of testimonies from the Holy Ghost I always heard them described more as a deep sense of peace or a burning in the bosom or occasionally even as a voice giving testimony. Is that accurate, or am I way oversimplifying it?

What constitutes a Testimony? For me as an adult convert I was studying and praying about that I was being taught, eventually the Holy Ghost testified to me. Now I was a hard case that took over a year before recognizing my testimony and needed a spiritual kick in the pants so to speak. In my case it was a voice, It was undeniable. Its really hard to describe when you know something and its not from within, not of your own knowledge, yet with such force and power. Words don't do it justice and I know for someone else thats not too satisfying of a description. Thats probably why your having a hard time getting a feel for what a testimony is.

These days spiritual confirmations I get are more of a peaceful feeling.

Let me ask you, how would you feel if you really knew God was speaking to you, that you had no doubt He was talking specifically to you? Yeah, thats a testimony, kinda of thrilling and scarey and awe inspiring and a hundred other emotions all at the same time. Now how do you describe it to others?

As far as a 'burning in the bosom' the only time I ever got that was when I ate my cousins chili -- way too many jalapenos.

Edited by mnn727

Actually, I've felt the whole burning in the bosom everything is peaceful and right and wonderful in the universe feeling. I've definitely experienced feeling like I was being told something and the words came from somewhere outside of me. I'm wondering what makes these experiences I've had, which seem to fit the exact mold of what a testimony is, different from an actual testimony. I've never had one in regard to any organized church or religion, so I know it wouldn't be called a testimony per se. I always described it as feeling like I could see into the soul of the universe. Not like that makes a ton of sense either... It is actually really hard to describe spiritual and religious experiences without sounding like a crazy person.

Okay, update to my question: How do you KNOW it's a testimony as opposed to whatever other spiritual experiences make you feel similar things. Had you felt that sort of feeling before? If so, what made your actual testimony stand out as different?

Well, from what I understand, a testimony from the holy spirit is a testimony that you bear. Like, say the Holy spirit is a book. You read the book, you believe that what the book says applies to the laws of the universe, and then you share the fact that what the book said is true, and then what the book says. Am I making sense, or am I just confusing you more?

I think a testimony is anything you believe is True pertaining to the Kingdom of the Father. It doesn't really *have* to be a burning or peace. It just usually is. When I read the book of Mormon, I get this strong impression that makes me say (sometimes out loud) This Is True.

Just my two cents.

So my assumption was that listening to or reading testimonies would be a lot of accounts of how the Holy Ghost testified to you and what you felt and how you came to believe and have faith, but all I've ever really seen is basically a couple variations of, "I know the church is true, I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, I know Joseph Smith was a prophet, etc..." I understand that standing up and saying that you know the church is true is the end result of having received a testimony, but can someone tell me more about what those testimonies actually felt like? I know it's different for everyone, but I find it absolutely fascinating and I'm having trouble finding a whole lot of specific information on the subject.

Thanks guys

A testimony comes from what youve experienced that has allowed you to trust the lord. For many it comes from a witness of the spirit which oftentimes is a deep sense of peace and/or a "burning in the bosom", but it is not restricted to those methods.

Actually, I've felt the whole burning in the bosom everything is peaceful and right and wonderful in the universe feeling. I've definitely experienced feeling like I was being told something and the words came from somewhere outside of me. I'm wondering what makes these experiences I've had, which seem to fit the exact mold of what a testimony is, different from an actual testimony. I've never had one in regard to any organized church or religion, so I know it wouldn't be called a testimony per se. I always described it as feeling like I could see into the soul of the universe. Not like that makes a ton of sense either... It is actually really hard to describe spiritual and religious experiences without sounding like a crazy person.

I think this IS a testimony. A testimony does not have to be about a church. It just has to be about something that is TRUE. The Holy Ghost testifies unto us of the "truth of ALL things".

It is definitely difficult to find anything specific describing what a testimony really feels like, because everyone experiences it a little differently, and it is just plain very hard to describe. I honestly don't think we have the proper words to describe what a testimony feels like. And really, describing anything we feel is difficult.

Take pain for example. How do you describe to someone who has never felt it, what it feels like to be burned? Stabbed? Have your apendix burst? Get menstrual cramps? Pass a kidney or gall stone? Give birth? There is just no way to adequately describe these different feelings of pain. Until someone else experiences the same pain, they will not understand- and even then it will be different. Two people who have had kidney stones will not have felt it quite the same way.

The reason you see all the "I know"s and "I believe"s in people's testimonies, is because they are bearing what truths the Holy Ghost witnessed to them. They may not be able to describe the spiritual experience or even pinpoint exactly when or how they came to know the truth, but they know it... and that is what we share.

When I think about bearing my own testimony, I take a moment of introspection to sort through my thoughts and feelings of what I know to be true. For me, there is always this solid, constant feeling that seems to encompass my whole body- like THIS will never change. As I study and learn, all the little segments of "truth" I find seem to feed into that feeling, so that it grows larger and larger. It is unshakable. Undaunted. When I think of what I know to be true, it is something so unwaivering that nothing can cause me to doubt it, and everything I study just seems to reinforce it.

Sometimes, I do indeed feel as though I can see into the soul of the universe. It is as though everything is connected, I can see the pieces coming together, and can almost grasp the "big picture". Many times, when I try to share my knowledge of the truth with others, I feel as though words cannot adequately describe what is going through my mind and heart. I find myself wishing that others could see and feel what I see and feel, instead of me having to find a way to communicate it to them through words.

This, I think, is the Holy Ghost. The more we listen to Him, the more intune we become, and the more truth he can share with us.

Slightly different than bearing testimony, but every time I am asked to give a talk or teach a lesson in church (and sometimes when I post things here ;) ), I "let the Holy Spirit guide". This is one of those moments where I feel at a loss for words to describe it, but the best way I can adequately explain it is almost like flipping a switch inside me open me to receiving the words of the Spirit. I don't know exactly how I do it and certainly can't explain it, but when I do this everything comes out with much more clarity and I always seem to say exactly what someone needs to hear.

This too, is the Holy Ghost. I recognize the way it feels to "teach" with the Holy Ghost so well, that it just comes automatically to me. It is something I have always done, from the very first time I shared my testimony and the very first time I was asked to give a talk. Though it seems easy for me to flip this switch when giving a talk, it is not quite so easy to recognize when the Holy Ghost is trying to communicate something to me FOR me. I am not the most skilled at following the promptings of the Holy Ghost, and think that this feels a bit different than when he is bearing testimony to us of the truth of something.

Thanks guys

i would simply say a burning in your chest as you described is the spirit bearing ITS testimony to YOU. or it was a testimony from the holy ghost when it descended like a dove at Christs baptism.

YOU bearing YOUR testimony is usually verbal, most cases at the podium at church.

so burning in your chest gives you something to have a testimony about.

your testimony is your faith/belief, that you share in word and deed.

hope that helps

To have a testimony of the gospel, you seek out and ask the Lord for his personal confirmation through revelation of these essential truths:

1. God lives

2. Jesus Christ is is Son, our Redeemer

3. The atonement of Christ saves us from death and sin

4. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God

5. The Book of Mormon is true.

Each of these parallel the points in the first four articles of faith. When we obtain a spiritual witness from God for ourselves by revelation, we will know who we worship, why we worship, how to worship, and where to worship.

When you hear someone who has a testimony bear his or her testimony, it is like holding a lit match to an unlit match. It can ignite the unlit match and cause it to burn. The testimony of the Holy Ghost comes from hearing the gospel taught with power and authority, not through reason or evidence. Although we use our intellect to ponder gospel truths, intellect is not the source of the testmony. Although we may feel deep emotions from gaining a testimony, the emotions are not the testimony.

A testimony is knowing truth by revelation.