New Convert fever!

sunshinewai

I don't think this really helps the discussion, but I went thru a phase when I was first baptized where I was very concerned that with my memory problems I was going to sin, and forget that I had sinned, which would, in turn, mean that I wouldn't repent, and there would be this 'unresolved sin' floating out there that would come back to haunt me. I forget what my bishop said to make me not worry about it, but he said the right thing and I stopped 'obsessing' over it. I do still pray for the spirit to speak to me if I commit a sin, so that I can repent right away, and I also pray that Heavenly Father will forgive me for sins I do not 'remember'... The best thing is that I know that he knows my heart, and he knows that I despirately want to do the right thing. Thank goodness for the attonement!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww.. thank you everyone for your comments, I hope I'm not obsessing over my question in my head that i don't even know it is lol haha.. I didn't mean to offend anyone.. I love you all and hope that one day we will all meet up in the Celestial and have a laugh about this thread maybe lol and how durr i was lol

I love the Gospel! I know The Church of Jesus Christ is True!! I know as i strive to learn, understand and apply the principles of the Gospel, and the teaching's of the Book Of Mormon prayerfully and humbly I will find the answer's as to having joy in this life and peace and rest in the life to come!! I'm just learning, trying not to judge.. and this thread as taught me alot.. Mainly not to Judge but to be the best example.. cos I just don't know who's watching..

Amene xo

I read it and it says that Eaternal life comes to those who keep the commandments after baptism. I defer to Ephesians 2:8-9 that says we will be saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves, it is a gift of God and not of works so that no man may boast.

As far as perfection, I can't find anywhere the Book of Mormon or Bible says anything about relative perfection. It says to rid yourself of all ungodliness. Period. Also, if it is a goal to eventually achieve this perfection, what happens if you die tomorrow?

I read it and it says that Eaternal life comes to those who keep the commandments after baptism. I defer to Ephesians 2:8-9 that says we will be saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves, it is a gift of God and not of works so that no man may boast.

As far as perfection, I can't find anywhere the Book of Mormon or Bible says anything about relative perfection. It says to rid yourself of all ungodliness. Period. Also, if it is a goal to eventually achieve this perfection, what happens if you die tomorrow?

I hope we don't have to be perfect to find 'eaternal' life! If we do, heaven will be a pretty lonely place. I know I wouldn't make it, and I can only think of one person in history who would.

Indeed, and that's the point. None of us can earn our own salvation just by being really good and doing a lot of awesome things. In the end, only Christ can grant us salvation. All Christ asks is for us to follow Him and keep His commandments, and that gift of salvation is promised for us.

The distinction comes from how we define perfection. Let's say, in some future time, both you and I become perfect. Will we have the same set of skills? Talents? Of course not. Even though we both are perfect, doesn't mean that we're the same. Both of us, I'm sure, were granted different God-given talents and abilities, and both of us have had different opportunities to progress in different ways. Essentially, your perfect isn't the same as my perfect, nor should it be. In the creation God beautified the earth by giving it variety, and I believe that's true for the Earth just as much as the people in it. God doesn't want us to achieve some arbitrary list of tasks in order to become perfect, he just wants us. Our whole selves, completely devoted to Him. That is, put simply, all He asks of us. Of course, we have to deny ourselves of all our ungodliness along the way, but our talents, abilities, and what makes us us will always be different. This is why it is so dangerous to determine our perfection by comparing ourselves to others. You can't make the comparison. It's figuratively (and perhaps sometimes literally) comparing apples to oranges.

If you're referring to my citation of 2 Nephi 31, then you seem to be reading very selectively indeed:

19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

[Emphasis added].

The Book of Mormon elsewhere is very clear that it is "by grace that we are saved, after all we can do". Paul is correct that man should not boast of his works; but you've spilled an awful lot of digital ink here in an apparent attempt to advance the notion that even a sincere attempt to endure to the end is unnecessary and unbiblical. In the process you have ignored a number of other biblical authors. Why? Were you hoping we weren't aware of them? Because we are, and your failure to balance Paul's teachings with James's (to say nothing of Jesus Himself) is coming off as more than a little dishonest.

Feel free to knock yourself out--at least, as long as you can find an audience willing to put up with your obtuse arguments, your insistence on changing the subject whenever pinned, and your disingenuous cherry-picking of Mormon scripture. But remember, at the end of the day there is someone else you will need to convince of your arguments regarding the supposed irrelevance of works.

Good luck with that.

Edited by Just_A_Guy