taking the scriptures literally?

confusedandalone

I was recently told by a bishop that we can take scriptures too literally or too seriously and I'm really confused about this. The example he used was that if someone was inquiring if they should move to a new city, they wouldn't find their answer in the scriptures. I feel like this is against everything I was taught in seminary! I found this quote that seems to agree with how I feel about it...

"Those who believe the scriptural canon is closed typically approach the reading of scriptures by focusing on what was meant at the time the scriptural words were spoken or written. In this approach, a passage of scripture may appear to have a single meaning and the reader typically relies on scholarship and historical methods to determine it. The Latter-day Saint approach is different. Professor Hugh Nibley illuminates this in his essay “The Prophets and the Scripture.” He observes that “men fool themselves when they think for a moment that they can read the scripture without ever adding something to the text, or omitting something from it. For in the wise words of St. Hilary, … ‘Scripture consists not in what one reads, but in what one understands.’” Consequently, he continues, “in the reading of the scripture we must always have an interpreter” ( The World and the Prophets, The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, 12 vols., Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1987, 3:202)."

I'm just so confused! I felt like a scripture really was speaking directly TO me, in fact multiple scriptures, and when I showed him the first scripture he said that I was taking it to literally, but I thought after prayer and inquiring the scriptures could really speak to us and tell us what to do?! My mom's wedding story is that when she wasn't sure if she should marry my dad but prayed about it and felt right, her scriptures opened to a verse that said something like "what more of answer do you need than that which is given to you" I'm just so confused right now, and really want to know if other people think the scriptures can literally speak to us?

Yes and sometimes we take that too literally. I have done the same thing you have and found answers and sometimes I find the scriptures talking about things that have no relevance to the question. I am really not sure that is what they mean by finding the answers in the Bible. Its more like answers to spiritual questions that to moving advice.

I agree with Anne (when do I not? :D)... I remember I went thru a time where I thought that maybe I should start wearing a headcovering because of 1 Corinthians 11:

"5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is aeven all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a ashame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."

It was explained to me that this is not to be taken literally.

However Heavenly Father uses scriptures to 'speak' to us. I know that Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." was given to me at a time where I really needed it.

So yes, HF uses the scriptures to speak to us, but there are things that are not to be taken literally in there also.

D&C 58:26

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

So, basically, we have been blessed with brains and wisdom. We're supposed to use them.

I'm just so confused right now, and really want to know if other people think the scriptures can literally speak to us?

The scriptures have no method of vocalization and as such can not literally speak to us.

As far as your quote, it's pointing out that there is not only one reading of scripture, that when we read it we infuse it with meaning (consider when LDS and Trinitarians point to the same scripture). It doesn't even touch on the subject of if we can take scripture too literally, if it contains answers to all questions, or whether it can be a instrument through which revelation is sparked.

Honestly I'm a little confused as it appears you are commingling a few issues:

1) Is it possible to take scripture too literally.

2) Is it possible to take scripture too literally when we feel (impressed or otherwise) it has relevance to our situation.

3) Can we receive revelation from the Holy Ghost when we seek answers in scripture.

4) Do the scriptures directly touch upon any question we may have?*

*Other than telling us to study things out and/or pray about them, obviously they contain those principles and they can be applied to any question we may have. I get the sense this isn't what you or he are talking about thought.

Edited by Dravin

Guest gopecon

I think Dravin broke this down very nicely. Part of why we are counseled to read the scriptures often is to get the Spirit in our lives. If we have that Spirit, then we will be able to find answers to problems. Maybe a word or phrase will stick out to us in a way that was not intended by the author. It's not that every answer is literally in the scriptures, but through the Spirit that we get from the scriptures we can find the inspiration and answers that we need.

There are principles taught and examples found in the scriptures that can help us in decisions, but many things just cannot be addressed. Moving to a new city - maybe for one person the new start is appropriate but for you it is not. Each situation is different. Sometimes there are issues that don't have eternal consequences tied to them. We can make up our mind without a personal revelation - and Heavenly Father will not think any less of us.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I see the scriptures as a trigger for personal revelation. They encourage us to think at a global, conceptual level about virtues such as faith, charity etcetera. They are pretty short on practical advice to fit unique situations, but they get the mind pointed in the right direction.

So, you might not believe Jonah lived in the whale for three days (did he bring baking soda along to neutralize the whale's stomache acid?) But you can look at that story by analogy to the obedience or trial issues you might have in your own life. Whether it was true or not doesn't matter as you try to relate it to the meaning in your own life.

Much of scripture is figurative, and should be taken as such. Some of it we can understand literally. The Book of Isaiah is mostly figurative, and each passage has 2 or more meanings. What one person understands, another person may not see at all. And, we may get a different meaning each time we read a passage. We should read the scriptures prayerfully, and ask for help in understanding what we are reading.

We can most definitely go to the scriptures for answers to our questions, and concerns. The Spirit will guide us to the relevant passage, and we will find the meaning in it that the Spirit wants us to find.