Bulgaria, Russia, and Ukraine Celebrate 20 Years of the Church

Guest Ivo_G

This year marks 20 years since the official establishment of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in three Eastern European countries—Bulgaria, Russia, and Ukraine.

Although the Church already had a presence in each country, the governments of Bulgaria, Russia, and Ukraine didn’t officially recognize the Church until 1991.

20 Years of the Church

Wow thanks for sharing. One of the intesting things I found, only 20 years and already temples in some of those areas. Just shows how receptive many of the people are there to the gospel.

I was hoping to recognize someone from the picture in the article, but alas, they were all after my time. :(

The 4 missionaries who first served in Bulgaria were "legends" in our mission. I always pictured them (from the stories and memories of the members--and I was only there 2 years after they were) as Superman looking--muscular body, fists on hips, standing tall with perfect posture...although they didn't wear tights, but the missionary uniform. :D

I was hoping to recognize someone from the picture in the article, but alas, they were all after my time. :(

I'm proud to say I know 3 of the guys in the picture :D

Posted Image

The guy sitting to the left of the lady in blue is President Kralev - the president of my branch and the couple in the middle are Mission President Roth and his wife with whom I met just yesterday at the home evening they organised for us - young members and investigators ^_^

Edited by Ivo_G

I think the guy on the far left is a former mission president, but I'm not sure which one.

If they announce a temple for Bulgaria, I will definitely be going back! I was hoping to get to visit next year, but I don't think we'll be able to afford it yet. Last time I was there was in 2008 and I miss it.

I think the guy on the far left is a former mission president, but I'm not sure which one.

yep, that's President Bennett - he used to be the Mission President before President Roth...as for a temple in Bulgaria - i don't think we'll have one any time soon -> the church is still quite small here and it'll probably take another 10-20 years before we deserve a temple of our own :(

The 4 missionaries who first served in Bulgaria were "legends" in our mission. I always pictured them (from the stories and memories of the members--and I was only there 2 years after they were) as Superman looking--muscular body, fists on hips, standing tall with perfect posture...although they didn't wear tights, but the missionary uniform. :D

I didn't know you served a mission in Bulgaria. That would have been awesome! When were you there?