Angels have no wings

maiku

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't really matter to me if children in a play are wearing little angel wings or not. I did find this teaching and I thought it was interesting:

"The word cherubim usually refers to guardians of sacred things. While the exact meaning of the word is not known, most scholars agree that these cherubim represented “redeemed and glorified manhood” or “glorified saints and angels” (Wilson, Old Testament Word Studies, s.v. “cherubim,” p. 75). Since Latter-day Saints do not believe that angels have wings, as they are often shown in religious art, the commandment to form wings on the cherubim may raise some questions. Another revelation indicates, however, that wings symbolically represent the power to move and to act (see Doc. & Cov. 77:4). Between these cherubim on the mercy seat, God told Moses, He would meet with him and commune with him. Latter-day revelations state that angels stand as sentinels guarding the presence of God (see Doc & Cov. 132:19).

https://lds.org/manual/old-testament-student-manual-genesis-2-samuel/exodus-25-30-35-40?lang=eng&query=cherubim

The word cherubim is plural; the singular is cherub. From my studies and references the ancient Hebrew word that was used has no modern translation and the only word that has been used is from the ancient Greek. It is interesting to me that in ancient Greek a cherub was not a classification or rank of angel but a classification or rank of g-ds.

The Traveler