Fear Of Becoming Apostate.

Princess3dward

Heya!

My dad was talking to some random guy from church, and mentioned how he was afraid(sp?) of becoming apostate.

After hearing that, I got thinking... uh oh.. that can happen to anyone.

I was just wondering if this was common...

I know how to avoid it.

Keep learning and testimony building..

I just wondered if it was just me and my dad that thought this...

Desiré,

I agree that it can happen to anyone who does not continue to build thier testamony. However, in my life I have seen it happen to those who allow hurt feelings from imperfect people change how they feel about the gospel, or those who allow the cunning words of the adversary to confuse what they know to be true. It is important to consider your weaknesses so you can protect against them.

However, I would caution you, don't look where you don't want to go. Go into a big field, look straight across and try to walk there. first pick a spot straight in front of you where you want to go, only look at that. you will make it across fairly well, however, do it again looking everywhere else or at a target somewhere else, but walk the same line. it is much harder, you wander off path and end up where you didn't want to be. The point being if you focus on confusing logic, others mistakes, to much focus on your own mistakes, and fear of becoming apostate, then that is where you will go. Before anyone jumps on me I'm not saying that you shouldn't hear others out or learn new things. I'm saying once you KNOW a priciple is true stick to that.

If this is truely a very real concern for you (and it appears to be) I would suggest you get a paper or in your journal and write yourself a letter. Tell yourself what you KNOW and what you BELIEVE. Make sure you clearly define the difference. Make goals to turn the beliefs into knowledge and then write a new letter as this happens. Continue this process as you grow in the gospel. then when something comes up that makes you question you can look back on your letter. a letter prevents you from forgetting, you may even want the describe the experiance that changed your knowledge, to help you remember how you know and feel. if you knew it was true then, it is true tomorrow, even if you are confused today. even if you can't make since of the confusion, that is where faith comes in.

Example of this from my own life. I was preparing to go to the temple and a new stake presidency was called. I knew most of the brethern being called and while I liked the stake pres. one of his counselors i didn't like. i had a negative encounter with him a year before. anyway, i didn't worry about it, being the first time i was going to the temple i would interview with the stake pres. anyway. well, my interview came and the stake pres had another more pressing issue to resolve and sent his counselor, the one i didn't like. i had some questions i wanted to ask and desided i wasn't going to ask him, because i didn't like him (real mature i know). i went in for my interview, we talked and then he asked if i had any questions. i had a long list and decide to ask just one. i asked my one question, he went on for about 20min. answering it. he finished talking, and said, "I'm not sure if I even answered your question. Did that help?" what he didn't know is that he had answered EVERY question on my list, and the spirit was very strong with me. i feel the Lord used the situation to teach me. what i learned without a showdow of a doubt is that the Lord does qualify whom he calls. just becouse of a perosnality difference between us didn't mean he was not inspired or quified to perform his calling. this is something i KNOW. years later i have questioned if the bishop was doing as he should, or if i was doing as i should in my calling. instead of getting mad and leaving church because i don't like the bishop or because my calling was to hard (i have seen many do both) i remind myself that i know whom the Lord calls he qualifies. All is well. i keep to my testimony and in time all works out fine.

I hope this helps.

God Bless in your journey in the gospel,

ALmom