Glory in War

james12

Okay, I see now where the confusion lies. And yes, it's my failing English as usual.

What I meant was it was "addressed to Americans" as in ourselves=Americans, not saying that only Americans are supposed to answer. Addressed to Americans is probably not the phrase to use... I'm thinking and thinking and I don't know the proper replacement phrase.

Perhaps much of your answer lies in the way you asked the question Anatess. If we considered ourselves one people as opposed to Americans, or Canadians, or Germans, or Chinese we would be less inclined to raise our weapons of war.

-RM

Here are a couple of my thoughts for what they are worth...

As an American I do consider our nation warlike in the sense that we are in a constant state of readiness for war. We are so "prepared" that we house a pile of munitions that could destroy the world as we know it. How prepared for war does one nation need to be to feel safe? It also seems to me that politics can, in some cases, quickly lead to military engagements and then slip into war so this is not simply idle talk. Granted most American's don't see our military as hostile or overtly threatening, but the term "speak softly and carry a big stick" might apply well to the US and it's relation to a number of foreign nations. This in some sense makes me worried. There is a huge war machine ready to fight at the drop of a hat and it cannot simply be dismantled.

As a Mormon and as an American I in some sense buy into this philosophy of more weapons and a bigger military to "protect" me. Past history shows that weapons can and do protect. But where do I put God in the mix? Have I put my trust in the arm of flesh? Is He simply an observer or will he fight our battles as he says in the scriptures? Do weapons guarantee security or does God?

Perhaps the question about glorying in war can really be seen at multiple levels. There is the glory of fighting and killing which I think few American's feel. However, there is a more subtle sort that has to do with show of military power and strength. Sometimes it seems we feel that surge of adrenaline and pride when seeing rank on rank of soldiers or heavy equipment. Perhaps it's not all bad and we must use them. However, I think Eisenhower had the right of it when he said, "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." Do we see that when we see warship?

Perhaps much of your answer lies in the way you asked the question Anatess. If we considered ourselves one people as opposed to Americans, or Canadians, or Germans, or Chinese we would be less inclined to raise our weapons of war.

-RM

I didn't ask a question.

But yes, sure. One people is what we're striving for under one God. But that's idealistic and impractical at this point in time. Even within supposedly "one people" under the LDS banner, we have different answers to the same questions.