Anyone Know a Good Book About Jesus?

Just_A_Guy

Huh??? I'm not sure the point of your question Volgadon. I don't see any problem with referencing other good work. General Authorities quote non-LDS people in conference quite frequently. Truth is truth, no matter who wrote it.

The point is that Talmage relied heavily upon Victorian biblical scholarship, which scholarship is seriously outdated. There have been many discoveries and advances made since then which cast a significantly different light on the world of the Bible.

Okay - what knowledge do you have that his writing and perspective was known to the Church, while he was writing it... or are you blindly speculating?

Deseret Book is wholly owed by the Church so anything published by Deseret is necessarily published by the Church...

The Church does not need to know the process of writing from any author that they publish. If that were so, I'm sure the majority of authors, if not all, that were published by Deseret Books would be considered secretive.

So, I'm curious Maureen. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of books about Jesus. How is it that out the thousands, you happened to suggest one, which you haven't read, written by someone critical of the Church, instead of one you have read or which wasn't written by a critic?

I don't have those hundreds if not thousands of books about Christ in my brain but, I knew that Grant Palmer wrote a book about Christ, so that's the first thing I thought of.

M.

Calba Savua's Orchard: Did Saadia Gaon & Maimonides Believe in Eternal Marriage?

This is a blogpost I wrote on one of the problems of "The Mortal Messiah." A source used by Elder McConkie was not only outdated, but it misinterprated primary sources as well, resulting in a very skewed presentation.

Edited by volgadon

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I wound up splurging on Holzapfel's and Waymant's Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ trilogy - seems to have gotten decent reviews; and I was impressed by the pages I skimmed in the bookstore. ;)

I know that you love your wife a lot... and you put a lot of thought into this gift, which is the loveliest part of it :) I would suggest thought that if she asked for Jesus the Christ specifically, you might want to get it as well, just in case ;)....Hope you have a great Christmas!

The Church does not need to know the process of writing from any author that they publish. If that were so, I'm sure the majority of authors, if not all, that were published by Deseret Books would be considered secretive.

I have no idea what point you think you are making. I was referring to what he wrote while posing in an assumed identity, while in the employ of the Church - something that wasn't know at the time.

I don't have those hundreds if not thousands of books about Christ in my brain but, I knew that Grant Palmer wrote a book about Christ, so that's the first thing I thought of.

M.

Thank you for making my point.

The book, Jesus the Christ, by James E Talmage is one of the most comprehensive studies about the Savior ever written. It has no out of date timeline. The Standard Works of the Gospel are the most reliable sources of infomation you will be able to study about the Savior. Always pray for guidance as you study and your mind will be enlightened by the Holy Ghost.

Edited by Gargantuan
spelling error

The book, Jesus the Christ, by James E Talmage is one of the most comprehensive studies about the Savior ever written.

And?

It has no out of date timeline.

I wish I could say that with confidence of the scholarly sources Talmage used.

Psalm 82 is a classic example. Shall we take a look at it?

The Standard Works of the Gospel are the most reliable sources of infomation you will be able to study about the Savior. Always pray for guidance as you study and your mind will be enlightened by the Holy Ghost.

They definitely are authoritative, but they weren't written with sound historical methodology in mind.