Teenagers

gamemom3

I have 2 teenage boys who just seemed to "tune out" everyone but themselves as soon as they hit high school. One has since gone on to college and seems to be doing great. The other is another story. I am about ready to do something drastic or I will lose my mind. He doesn't seem to want anything to do with his parents or his brothers. All he cares about these days is himself and "what's in it for me". It has gotten to the point where I can't say anything or do anything without him thinking I am chastising him. I admit, that maybe I have made a few mistakes throughout the years. My husband left the church a few years ago, and maybe that has something to do with our situation now. I don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions???????

Just keep loving him, you never know when they grow out of ther "phase" but teengers have a habit of growing up over time. So many don't think that their parents care about them, don't let yours be one of them. When my oldest boy was a teenager, he took the rap for a friend, paid his dues and kept his mouth shut...... years later when we talked about his problems he had growing up...... He told me he didn't do what he was accused of doing (that time) then he said that he knew that I would always love him no matter what, but the other kid would get kicked out and disowned for breaking the rules...... I have good kids :) And I did have to come down hard on him a time or two.... tough love we called it.

Moral of the story is..... let your son know he is loved, even when you want to pull your hair out and make a rope and tie him up with it. How you treat your son WILL make a difference in some point of his life.

Hang in there....they DO grow up! :)

I have 4 boys and i have been threw this recently, In know what you mean by him thinking you chastize him, but then i realized i am his mom, i am the adult and i raised him well, If we raise our kids like we are supposed too, what they do when the are older is their mistakes using their freeagency, having said that i am sure you raised him well, some times we have no control on the paths they take, This summer was very hard for me, my son #2 did soooooooo well in high school and received a big scholarship to use here in Nevada, what i did not know is he had no plans for along time(keeping it secret) in using it, he had gone to Utah to work for a family member this summer, while i and his Dad worked hard doing all the preperations for collage for him he not once said he was not comming home, then when we went to pick him up he said he was staying, (his girl friend had moved to Utah during the summer and didn't live far from where he is) anyway so he gets a job with my oldest son at target and then...............breaks up with the girl! He is 19 and we are going to let him make his own mistakes and yes it hurts but he needs to do this himself, the scholarship is good for 8 years so he has time, but he is now with other family (his brother cousins and grandparents) so i do feel good about that.

I hope it works out for you,

Lisa Jo

I appreciate all the great advice. I will try to put them into practice. I just hope I am not too late on this one. It has now gotten to the point where he won't even talk to me, and when he does, he acts like I am the enemy. Wish me luck.

moms are the enemy when ur a teenager. Its just the way it goes ;)

But hopefully if all goes well he shall come around like I did =\

I am a new teen and want nothing to do with my family. They cramp my style, but at the same time i dont even live in the same country as they do. I took off at the age of 12 but i think if my parents would have told me I was wanted and not the outher way. I might have been more able to comunicate with them.

As well most of my freind tell me they love there parent but to talk with them is realy hard becouse they think there parnt wont understand what there going thew. So they stay a way from there family as much as they can. A lot of my freind problems with there family are just becous there on the drugs and feel there parnts will freak out when they find out, so they do what they can to drive the family away so they dont see what realy happining. all i say realy is show them you love them. but still disaplin them becouse all us teens need it wether we know it or not. glood luck

I am far from the perfect parent but there are a few things that I have learned.

Don't over react when they confide in something that disappoints you.

Get to know your child...what he likes and dislikes and what his goals are.

Let him know your feelings or wanting him to be close when he is ready you will always be there.

Get to know his friends and where he goes... Invite the friends to your home.

Let him know that you love him unconditionally.

Make your rules known and stick by your standard.

• 2 months later...