Latter Day Saints Or Assemblies Of God?

prisonchaplain

I don't recall any non-LDS speaking at a fireside. Of course, I may be mistaken, and I can see, perhaps, a group containing LDS and non-LDS speaking about a common topic.

I thought I'd heard of occasional guest speakers from outside organizations. A quick search did turn up group type you reference: LDS Church News - Kansas: Mormons and Jews share perspectives

Personally, I think it would be a good idea for Mormons to have study concerning the conventional Christians traditions (and vice versa, of course.). There is a great degree of misunderstanding and from my experience, there is a tremendous "lost in translation" problem as well, due to the very different ways of looking a spirituality. An example of that runs like this...

Conventional Christian: "Mormons cannot truly be considered Christians because LDS theology is polytheistic, or at best henothiestic, and that is a deal-breaker."

Mormon: "But we believe in Christ so we ARE Christian."

I've witnessed that exchange at least half a dozen times in life. It is a lost in translation problem because both sides are speaking the truth, not disagreeing.

You're right, someone resurrected a 6 year old post -- I never looked at the dates.

I would say it's very very rare that non-LDS speak at firesides, I've never been to one or even heard of one in the area but yes have seen a couple mentioned in articles.

I personally would really hate for the Church to come up with courses about other religions unless each class was taught by a person of that other religion. I just don't trust Brother or Sister So and So to accurately portray other Churches beliefs. I also don't see what purpose it would serve other than as a personal interest item for some people.

Edited by mnn727

I personally would really hate for the Church to come up with courses about other religions unless each class was taught by a person of that other religion. I just don't trust Brother or Sister So and So to accurately portray other Churches beliefs. I also don't see what purpose it would serve other than as a personal interest item for some people.

First, I'll agree with you that compared to other church-sponsored education systems, your schools offer relatively little about other faiths. However, in this quarter's BYU schedule I did find:

REL C 351 05054 Survey of World Religions F 3.0

001 O 12:00p - 2:30p MW 203 JSB Choi D

002 O 12:00p - 2:30p TTh 171 JSB Gaskill A

003 Evening O 4:00p - 6:30p MW 203 JSB Choi D

Rel E

Perhaps there are a few who had a personal interest. :D

Regarding this class by Dong Sull Choi | Religious Education

LDS.org - News and Events Article - Class Teaches Students About World Religions

A world religion class at BYU not only teaches students about a variety of religions including Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Shinto, and Christianity, but it also teaches students to be more open-minded. "When you understand people's beliefs, you understand them better and you love them more," said Anna Nagel, 20, a sophomore from New Orleans. Dong Sull Choi, a professor of Church history and doctrine, joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints while living in Korea. He helped write the textbook for the class. "As a Mormon, it's necessary for us to know non-Mormon views to strengthen our own testimonies," he said. "Our religion is true and genuine, but without comparison, you cannot know."

First, I'll agree with you that compared to other church-sponsored education systems, your schools offer relatively little about other faiths. However, in this quarter's BYU schedule I did find:...

Just be aware that BYU is a school not Church. I wish all LDS could attend BYU but the vast majority of LDS members do not attend the Church colleges.

So the point that we don't discuss the beliefs of other religions or Christian Churches is a valid point and differentiates us. We are also in no way are discouraged from learning or studying other religions on our own outside of church.

Edited by Windseeker

First, I'll agree with you that compared to other church-sponsored education systems, your schools offer relatively little about other faiths. However, in this quarter's BYU schedule I did find:

REL C 351 05054 Survey of World Religions F 3.0

001 O 12:00p - 2:30p MW 203 JSB Choi D

002 O 12:00p - 2:30p TTh 171 JSB Gaskill A

003 Evening O 4:00p - 6:30p MW 203 JSB Choi D

Rel E

Perhaps there are a few who had a personal interest. :D

BYU is a University - its not 'the Church'

I'm a member of the church of Jesus Christ Of These Latter-days, I use to question on whether Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I'm a tongan (Island Girl) and I was resistant to believe so because I'm not white...(honestly that use to be my key motive to not believe in the church). Gratefully, my parents had a spiritual knowledge which I had to build during my youth in primary. I am now 27 years of age, although I am not perfect as I wish to be, the church always provides a way just like our father in heaven does.

JST, Mark 9:45 - Seek unto my Father, and it shall be done in that very moment what ye shall ask, if ye ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive.

Just because one gets excommunicated doesn't mean for that one person to take for granted our saviors atonement. That's why we exercise our faith in our heavenly father and Jesus Christ through our holy ghost "spirit". The further we are from heavenly fathers laws and principles (Jesus Christ examples) the further our holy ghost spirit departs from him. It's kind of like common sense, how can you believe in heavenly father (God) but not believe in his only begotten son? Hence, why our church is the only church that represent Jesus Christ for these Latter-days. Heavenly father doesn't want us to question him but to seek him. It's our willingness and devotion to want to be with him, it's obvious he wants us but do we want him?

Just be aware that BYU is a school not Church. I wish all LDS could attend BYU but the vast majority of LDS members do not attend the Church colleges.

So the point that we don't discuss the beliefs of other religions or Christian Churches is a valid point and differentiates us. We are also in no way are discouraged from learning or studying other religions on our own outside of church.

Fair enough. The description you provided in the previous post

A world religion class at BYU not only teaches students about a variety of religions including Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Shinto, and Christianity, but it also teaches students to be more open-minded. "When you understand people's beliefs, you understand them better and you love them more," said Anna Nagel, 20, a sophomore from New Orleans. Dong Sull Choi, a professor of Church history and doctrine, joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints while living in Korea. He helped write the textbook for the class. "As a Mormon, it's necessary for us to know non-Mormon views to strengthen our own testimonies," he said. "Our religion is true and genuine, but without comparison, you cannot know."

is pretty close to what I was hoping to accomplish, however. Learning about other faiths should help us appreciate their practioners more, while helping us understand our own faith from new points of view.

Edited by prisonchaplain

I participate in firesides with the ward and full-time missionaries in my ward from time to time. I am a convert to the Church and in my past my ex-wife and I were Southern Baptists that leaned more non-denominational. we ran a handful of online web-based ministries as well. I was fully versed in the "cults" sorta speak.

so at the fireside chats the missionaries use the time to ask me questions about the beliefs of the evangelicals that they come into contact with. Ask me what and why they believe what they do. It helps them better to understand ho to relate to them and how to share the gospel with them in terms and ways that they can relate to easier. I know in the past when the full time missionaries came to my door and we let them in and talked to them, it was difficult because it seemed like we spoke different languages at times.