I Need a bit of Advice

CloudySkies123

Hey everybody!

I've had a problem that has been really kiilling me for awhile.

i've gotten into the habit of getting music onto my personal mp3 player without purchasing it through various means. At the time, I fell under the "well everybody else is doing it so I can too" trap. I know in my heart this is wrong. It is stealing. But I don't know how to fix it.

I know I should go about repenting and saying I will never make this mistake again, but then what do I do about all the music that I've listened to?

I hope someone has insight on this. It really has been nabbing at me for awhile now!

thanks!

Hey everybody!

i've gotten into the habit of getting music onto my personal mp3 player without purchasing it through various means. At the time, I fell under the "well everybody else is doing it so I can too" trap. I know in my heart this is wrong. It is stealing. But I don't know how to fix it.

I know I should go about repenting and saying I will never make this mistake again, but then what do I do about all the music that I've listened to?

I hope someone has insight on this. It really has been nabbing at me for awhile now!

thanks!

There was this woman once... She committed adultery and was about to be stoned to death. Jesus told her quite simply, "Go and sin no more."

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably make a list of all the music I "stole" that I really want to keep and then purchase them all online or see if there's a legal download for free (e.g. Someone on lds.net mentioned that Smashing Pumpkins offer free albums) and then delete all the rest. This would be one of my steps for repentance.

But, that's just me. You may have to do something different depending upon what the Holy Spirit tells you after going to God in prayer. Or, if you need help, you can always make an appointment with the bishop to see what he says.

Yes, I think as painful as it would be, deleting the music would definitely be the best avenue. I feel so ashamed that I've even let it get this far.

I really feel as though this is something that I can deal with on my own, but how exactly to go about the repentance process is really stumping me. I know it's wrong. I really do. But I'm just kinda....stuck from there.

Yes, I think as painful as it would be, deleting the music would definitely be the best avenue. I feel so ashamed that I've even let it get this far.

I really feel as though this is something that I can deal with on my own, but how exactly to go about the repentance process is really stumping me. I know it's wrong. I really do. But I'm just kinda....stuck from there.

You already did the first step... Recognize what you did wrong. You already did the second step... Feel remorse. Now you're onto the 3rd step. Kneel down in prayer and ask God for forgiveness and peace (may involve fasting). After you do that, then you get to right the wrong or make amends....

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, anatess said it all. Stop it now.

Another neat way to get rid of the music is start transferring it to other media mediums. A lot of burners and such these days have ways to catch stolen music. It won't get copied.

Just keep in mind there is a lot of DRM free music out there. Either because it was ripped, stripped (the DRM), or purchased from somewhere like Amazon. If there is no DRM there isn't a way for the software to 'catch' it or otherwise be incapable of transferring it.

Hey everybody!

thanks!

start buying the soundtracks that you have listened to. you don't have to do it all at once. Since individual soundtracks go for about $.99 apiece... also provides an opportunity to research who made which one and also an opportunity to sort out the ones you want and teh ones you don't want.

If there are ones you've listened to that are inappropriate i don't know about that, maybe if you know the artist/group that did it, and that they have other ones that are better purchase those songs instead.

And then get rid of the ones you don't want to pay for.

I agree with the "what to do" suggestions so I'll throw in a what not to do. Do not figure up the cost of the music and try to send it to the appropriate folks with a confession.

for example...

To whom it may concern. For a long time like others I have stolen music from you. I realize the error of my ways and want to make things right. Here is a check that should more than cover the cost of the music you produced that I have copied. .... blah blah

lol this would fall into the "no good deed goes unpunished" category. They will want to make an example of you because you are an easy target that has confessed. Make it right privately with god. Delete and then go through the process of buying it like you should have the first time.

Don't beat yourself up more than necessary to feel remorse and properly repent. If this is your biggest vice you are doing pretty good. Hang in there.