Dealing with sexual sin. Then and now.

MrShorty

I was reading Alma's long discussion with his son Corianton last night. It is one of my favorite sections of the Book of Mormon. There's a lot said about sin, repentance, grace, justice, mercy, and the atonement. I sometimes think if I could wrap my head around the things Alma says to Corianton, I'd have a really good idea of just how to make the atonement really applicalbe to my life.

Anyway, to what struck me this time through. 1) This is where we get the famous "sex is next to murder" on the seriousness of sin. Question: all the Book of Mormon says was that Corianton was chasing after a harlot named Isabel. We tend, it seems, to assume he successfuly "caught" her, but it doesn't necessarily say that, does it?

2) If we assume that Corianton was indeed guilty of actual fornication, I find it interesting that, at the end, Alma finishes chastising Corianton, then sends him back out to he missionary duties. In our day, if any of our missionaries were guilty of anything similar, he/she would be sent right home. Different times, different needs, different cultures, and a different approach to sexual sin, maybe.

I was reading Alma's long discussion with his son Corianton last night. It is one of my favorite sections of the Book of Mormon. There's a lot said about sin, repentance, grace, justice, mercy, and the atonement. I sometimes think if I could wrap my head around the things Alma says to Corianton, I'd have a really good idea of just how to make the atonement really applicalbe to my life.

Anyway, to what struck me this time through. 1) This is where we get the famous "sex is next to murder" on the seriousness of sin. Question: all the Book of Mormon says was that Corianton was chasing after a harlot named Isabel. We tend, it seems, to assume he successfuly "caught" her, but it doesn't necessarily say that, does it?

2) If we assume that Corianton was indeed guilty of actual fornication, I find it interesting that, at the end, Alma finishes chastising Corianton, then sends him back out to he missionary duties. In our day, if any of our missionaries were guilty of anything similar, he/she would be sent right home. Different times, different needs, different cultures, and a different approach to sexual sin, maybe.

I was just reading this story this week, too, and the same questions came into my mind.

I don't think Corianton "caught" Isabel. Abandoning the ministry to the Zoramites, for the sake of going to fulfill curiosity about a Lamanitish prostitute would be bad enough.

I don't know if the approach to sexual sin is necessarily different. Modern missionaries are "called" for two years, and then they go on to other things. It seems that Alma- continuing in the tradition of his father- saw missionary work and the work of the Priesthood as a lifelong calling. Thus, if he felt his sons were also "called" to this work, then it would take serious sins to derail that. Perhaps Corianton's youth, coupled with the possibility that he didn't actually commit fornication, mitigated the error enough so that Corianton didn't lose his "calling".

Certainly, the missionary work to the Zoramites was a specific mission field- one that was "closed" at the end, so to speak, when the Zoramites cast out the believers and the harvest of righteous souls was over. It's possible that Alma saw Corianton's failure among the Zoramites as a learning experience and setback.

Reading the words in context, it sounds much more like Isabel was a priestess of a sex (or "fertility") cult, such as were common in many societies around the world. In fact, the name "Isabel" was likely a title bestowed on the cult leader, perhaps pejoratively by the Hebrews.

Corianton's great sin was abandoning the ministry and defiling his covenants while chasing after this sex cult. I agree that his "punishment" was different from that done today, but since membership as a covenant people was largely thought of as a birthright (though of course the Nephites did perform baptism as a covenant entrance), "excommunication" would not have been thought of. People could be "cut off", but usually only for base betrayal or utter refusal to repent of sin; such people were probably not recruited back.

I do think we sort of miss the point of the whole Corianton story, but since our leaders have chosen to use it as a demonstration of the spiritual evils of fornication, I support them.

were also probably looking at different timescales as well... whereas in the mission field if something is found out its known quite quickly, and can be dealt with within the day.... whereas with alma, depending on the situation it could be anywhere from days to months.

whether that factors in or not i don't know.

Probably what does factor in and we don't really know of till later is Coriantons repentance at that point. I believe it later mentions him doing great work so I imagine he had genuine repentance either at that time or close to it.

I would think it helpful, to ponder Mormon's (and The Lord's) decision to include this incident in The Book of Mormon, as we have it today. Since we don't have the entirety, just divinely inspired "Cliff's Notes", I believe this is exactly what The Lord wants us to know. In this light, I won't parse the words of Alma. I believe that Mormon was divinely directed to include exactly what was said, as it was said, as guidance and warning for us in our day.

these things are an abomination in the sight of the Lord; yea, most abominable above all sins save it be the shedding of innocent blood or denying the Holy Ghost