There is a co-worker I can not stand...

Echo2002

I can't stand to be around her which makes it difficult when we have to work together in the same department. In my opinion she has an abrasive personality, she kind of comes off as a know it all. I ignore her for the most part, but it frustrates me that I can't push aside my feelings and be more friendly toward her. I guess there's no one stopping me but myself.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you to overcome it, or did you ever overcome it?

I can't stand to be around her which makes it difficult when we have to work together in the same department. In my opinion she has an abrasive personality, she kind of comes off as a know it all. I ignore her for the most part, but it frustrates me that I can't push aside my feelings and be more friendly toward her. I guess there's no one stopping me but myself.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you to overcome it, or did you ever overcome it?

Join the club--I think most of us, at some point or another, have coworkers we don't like.

Is there anything you know of that you two have in common, perhaps a common interest? Even if you otherwise can't stand the person, talking with them about something you're both interested in (or agree on) may help to overcome the revulsion you feel towards that person. That's kind of what I do with my coworker, who is a person I would not normally associate with except that I have to work with him. Sometimes I just ignore him and do my own thing, other times I get him talking about a mutual interest. Not only does it help me deal with him, it puts him in a better mood, too!

Good luck! :)

I have not read other posts (I try not to taint my advice giving).

Have you had a chance to talk to the Savior about this?

Everytime I get to work with somebody I'm not particularly fond of I remind myself that somebody might not be particularly fond of me either and had to work on their spiritual side to be able to put up with me.

Really. If you look at it that way - you'll get an extra dose of patience like Popeye's can of spinach.

Everytime I get to work with somebody I'm not particularly fond of I remind myself that somebody might not be particularly fond of me either and had to work on their spiritual side to be able to put up with me.

Really. If you look at it that way - you'll get an extra dose of patience like Popeye's can of spinach.

Isn't it physical strength Popeye gets from eating spinach? Or, at the very least, courage? :D

Yes, it can be hard working with someone you don't particularly like. I think with every job I've held, there's usually someone I didn't want to be around. For me, I just kept my feelings to myself, never letting them know how I felt, and just limited my time with them as much as I could. I would remind myself, that they are a child of God, just like I am, and tried to make the best of it.

Thanks for the advice. We do have some things in common with her, so maybe I could just focus on those things.

I don't think the matter is serious enough to take it to the Director, although I think she's already complained to the director about me. I think it's a little immature to go running to the director with every little spat that happens in the work place which is what has happened in the past.

This co-worker has the habit of telling people what to do even though she has no authority to do so. I usually just ignore her and brush it off. I don't like it when people who have no authority over me tell me what to do or tell me I'm doing something wrong.