ultra-conservative clothing

RPJR

Polygamy officially stopped being sanctioned in 1890, and in 1906 all polygamous sealings between living people were forbidden. By the mid-1900s, there were essentially no polygamous LDS couples left alive.

In 1943, Elder Lyman of the Quorum of Twelve was excommunicated for polygamy. He was the last apostle to attempt to live polygamy, and not coincidentally, the last apostle to have been excommunicated. Perhaps it is from Elder Lyman's story that you got the idea that polygamy ceased in the 1940s, but it actually stopped half a century earlier.

My source was a Youtube video, though I am at a loss to tell you which one. I am actually not against Polygamy, used in a Godly context, namely no 14 year olds marrying 50 year old guys, and everything being voluntary. Oddly, I did see it in Islam, but something unknown to many is that the Qur'an actually forbids it. LOL.

I've lived in a household with more than one woman and a man or men. I was never part of any intimate liaison at that time, however.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of like how The Book of Mormon condemns polygamy, but the Bible doesn't, and yet Mormons are among the few Christians to have historically practiced it? Gotta love the irony! ;)

The Book of Mormon contains a caveat to that condemnation however.

Edited by Dravin