Gonna talk to the Bishop.

I've decided that after seventeen years of being away from church I am gonna contact the local ward Bishop and talk to him about getting back into church. It's kinda scary because when I got baptised it was for the wrong reasons and I wasn't ready to accept that kind of responsibility. I didn't research much before I was baptised and didn't stay long enough to learn much. I left because I felt like didn't fit in. I haven't exactly been living a clean life and I am kind of afraid of what he may say.

Don't go in worrying about what he will say. I think you will be surprised and find that your conversation with him will be filled with love and encouragement.

Many of our general authorities have said that no matter where you path has led you..come back.

I haven't exactly been living a clean life and I am kind of afraid of what he may say.

It can't be any worse than what my hometown bishop said to me after several years of atheism and doing whatever I wished - he said "Log2, now that you've been in the world and sampled everything it has to offer, you're ready to come back."

That stung me to my heart and caused me no small amount of shame - because it was true - and I think he was inspired to say it. Looking back, I think that shame helped me in my repentance process.

In any event, the bishop is a messenger of the Lord to you, to give you whatever is needful in helping you to reclaim your place as a child of Christ - fear nothing he has to say, and don't be offended, but hear with your heart.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I still haven't spoken with my ward bishop but, I did to church today for the first time in a long time. I brought my fiance too. It was her first time so this was an adventure for both of us. I'm just not sure of where to go from here. Should I just keep showing up every Sunday, should I contact the missionaries or should I just go straight to the Bishop? I called the ward office but no one answered and there was no answering machine.