Patriarchal blessing

G-Money

I was thinking it was about time to get one. How should I prepare for this great opportunity? I'm looking for a little guidance during a turbulent time. Both my parents have divorced terribly, and subsequently, left the church. I still have a strong faith, and feel like this is the next step to growing closer to Heavenly father. What should I do?

Talk to your bishop... He will know the details of how to set you up to receive a Patriarchal Blessing.

On a personal level to prepare for it you should refocus on the basics of prayer, scripture study, and fasting. I know they seem very basic, but they are the basics for very good reasons

G-Money, I'm sorry about your difficult family situation. I know what it's like to be a child of divorce. :( Getting a patriarchal blessing won't solve all your problems, and I don't know that it will give specific guidance for your current situation, but it can contain good general guidance for life and your future and buoy you up when you're feeling down. As has already been said, talk to your bishop, and he'll let you know what to do. When the time comes to get your patriarchal blessing, you may want to fast and pray in advance for your Stake Patriarch to be inspired, and for you to be receptive. Who knows, if you're lucky, maybe you'll be from the Tribe of Issachar! (Just kidding! :P)

I fasted the day I received mine.

Fwiw, unless you are very practiced at fasting, I would encourage you not to fast beforehand. For those who haven't fasted very much, the fast itself can be very distracting and leave you thinking about other things when you want to be thinking about the patriarchal blessing.