Homemade Gifts Are The Best!

StrawberryFields

On a more healthy note, I just picked up my organic co-op share today after work. For dinner we had a nostalgic southern veg-only dinner that I grew up eating as a child in the summer.

Roasted baby potatoes, fried okra breaded in cornmeal (OK, so it wasn't ALL healthy!), cooked squash with onion, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, drop biscuits. It was goooooood!

e

What did you guys have for dinner? I'm in a rut and need some ideas.

Shantress . . .that's a rut? Anything with the word "nostalgic" in it is not a rut! :P

Elphie

Guest Yediyd

Dried corn filled microwaveable heating bags. (These are wonderful and I want more for myself too :D )

I put dried rice in the ones I make. Also...I save my toilet paper rolls...the kids and I fill them up with candy and wrap them in pretty paper, we give them out at church and the kids give them to friends and teachers.

Last year...I made a homemade blanket for my mother, I hand sewed it out of fleece, I cut out a pattern of pretty flowers and geometric shapes, then I sewed them onto a huge bolt of blue fleece. My mother loves it!

I made fleece hats and slippers for all my nieces and nephews last year as well. This year, I have gotten into cross stitch...I am working on a plaque that says: If G-d believed in today's permissiveness, he would have given us the 10 suggestions!...have not decided who I'm going to give it to yet...

Guest Yediyd

I also have a great idea for some of my new friends in Utah...I am going to the Sacred Grove in Oct. I have this neet poem that I found about leaves from the Grove...I will press, and frame the leaves with the poem for some of my friends who cannot get to the Grove.

<div class='quotemain'>

On a more healthy note, I just picked up my organic co-op share today after work. For dinner we had a nostalgic southern veg-only dinner that I grew up eating as a child in the summer.

Roasted baby potatoes, fried okra breaded in cornmeal (OK, so it wasn't ALL healthy!), cooked squash with onion, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, drop biscuits. It was goooooood!

e

What did you guys have for dinner? I'm in a rut and need some ideas.

Shantress . . .that's a rut? Anything with the word "nostalgic" in it is not a rut! :P

Elphie

No, tonight was not a rut. Previous nights this week it's been ham sandwiches, then cereal. :yawn:

Every year I say I am going to do this but every year I find that I'm saying "next year."

What I would like to do is make Christmas wall hangings or throws. Cross stitch numerous Christmas scenes (about 5 inches square). Then make a quilt with them. Lots of work and lots of time but it's something I enjoy doing. Just never seem to find the time. Then again...if I would get off the computer during some of my "spare" time I might then have the time. :P

Then make a quilt with them.

Pam,

You reminded me of a book I did the layout for years ago. It is called Small Quilts, and it contains directions for exactly that, a number of different quilts, small enough you can hang them on your wall.

I don't recall the Christmas quilts exactly, but I do remember there were a few. I went to Amazon.com and one of the reviewers said the following:

"I have really enjoyed using this book. It has several patterns that I have made. Some of the patterns are hearts, trees, flowers, Christmas patterns, friendship wreath, and Irish Christmas. The small quilts can be used for all types of thing. A great buy."

So there are a few Christmas quilts. There were a few other quilts I really loved as well.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to make a sale! The company I worked for published the book in 1989, and you can buy it from Amazon for $.01. So much for my artwork gaining value over time! <_<

Anyway, if you are interested in small quilting projects for Christmas, Small Quilts might be just the thing for you.

Elphaba

Posted Image

When I was growing up my mother sewed all of my clothes. It was the hi-light of the summer when we went fabric and pattern shopping for the new school year. Well she saved the fabric from all of these clothes over the years and made a quilt for me. Blocks of each of the fabrics. It was so much fun remembering the dresses she had made and the age I was when she made it. It's one of my most cherished possessions.

When I was growing up my mother sewed all of my clothes. It was the hi-light of the summer when we went fabric and pattern shopping for the new school year. Well she saved the fabric from all of these clothes over the years and made a quilt for me. Blocks of each of the fabrics. It was so much fun remembering the dresses she had made and the age I was when she made it. It's one of my most cherished possessions.

I can imagine. Is it small enough you could display it on your wall?

I actually designed a number of quilt books. At first I had to learn to write quilting instructions, draw computer illustrations and design the books. I became quite good at it and eventually took on the complicated quilts no one else would touch, and I had a blast. Additionally, and I will brag a bit here, I was sought after by the best designers.

However, I've never actually made a quilt in my life!

I really love the museum quilts from the 18th century that tell a person's life story. Often they were made by the slaves, and they're stunning. Knowing the mechanics of quilting makes me appreciate them all the more.

Elphaba

<div class='quotemain'>

I can imagine. Is it small enough you could display it on your wall?

I actually designed a number of quilt books. At first I had to learn to write quilting instructions, draw computer illustrations and design the books. I became quite good at it and eventually took on the complicated quilts no one else would touch, and I had a blast. Additionally, and I will brag a bit here, I was sought after by the best designers.

However, I've never actually made a quilt in my life!

I really love the museum quilts from the 18th century that tell a person's life story. Often they were made by the slaves, and they're stunning. Knowing the mechanics of quilting makes me appreciate them all the more.

Elphaba

I've never made a quilt myself either. When I mentioned earlier it was something I enjoyed I was really referring to the cross stitching. Though my eyes have a hard time with that now. lol I just had come up with the idea of incorporating something I enjoy doing into something I would love to learn to do.

The early quilts are fascinating. I also find the art of tapestries especially those done during the 1600 and 1700's quite amazing. Such intricate work and design.

After Nicks latest surgery our family was given some tasty morsels. :D

I will get the recipe for these ROLO things mmmmmm they were so good and I will post it later.:)

OKAY HERE IT IS!!!!!

Okay your mouths will love these!!

Take an equal number of miniature salted pretzels (traditional shape)

Rolo candies

Pecan Halves

Preheat oven to 300 degrees

Spread pretzels in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet

Top each pretzel with one unwrapped candy flat side down

Place cookie sheet into the oven for 3 to 4 minutes or until candies have softened

Remove from oven and top each slightly softened candy with one pecan half, rounded side up lightly pressing pecan into candy.

Allow ‘turtles’ to set up in the refrigerator and then store in a tightly sealed container. Serve at room temperature and enjoy!