Mitt Romney In '08

BrotherHinds

With all of the talk of elections swerling around the news today, I wonder about Mitt Romney, the Governor of Massachusetts.

Romney decided this year not to seek reelection as Governor, and previously stated that he would not remain Governor while running for President at the same time. He has not sought any Senate or House seats for himself, so does that mean he will be running for the White House in 2008 against Hillary Clinton?

I personally feel he is the best man for the job. I am not even considering any other candidates at this point. His record is stellar. One thing I did not know about the man, that I just found out recently, is that he is the only elected official currently serving in the executive branch and the upper levels of government that has chosen not to take a salary for his service as Governor. He is not paid for his job as Governor. some other things he has done while in office in Massachusetts:

1) He has taken the Mass. economy from a $1.3 billion deficit to a $500 million surplus.

2) He has increased standards in education within the state to hold teachers and students accountable and reward good teachers for the job they do instead of their years on the job.

3) He proposed and signed state legislation to provide health insurance to almost everyone in Massachusetts without raising taxes.

4) He has proposed bills to provide $100 laptops to all middle and high school students, provide $15,000 a year bonuses for top performing math and science teachers, creation of English immersion classes for students that cannot speak English as opposed to bilingual education.

5) He has stood against gay marriage in Massachusetts and before the U.S. Senate.

6) He proposed a bill that would have brought back the death penalty in Massachusetts with DNA evidence being required to sentence someone to death and implemented a tougher standard of "no doubt" of guilt for juries.

7) Proposed and signed into law, Melanie's Bill that greatly increased penalties for repeat drunk drivers.

8) Has openly opposed Roe v. Wade because he feels that the individual states and the people of those states should decide. Romney feels that each state government should put the issue of abortion to a vote of the people and whatever the result of that vote should be the law in that state, rather than a nation wide "one size fits all" Supreme Court ruling.

9) Vetoed an emergency contraceptive bill.

10) Vetoed a bill in 2004 that would have allowed illegal immigrants, that graduated from a Massachusetts high school and had attended the school for at least three years, to attend college at in state tuition rates.

11) He has highly supported energy conservation and alternative energy in Massachusetts and in the nation.

Given the things Mitt Romney has done as Governor of the most liberal state in the nation, it seems he would be the perfect candidated for president in 2008. He views public service as simply that, service, not a job or career in which one should be paid. He believes in ending corruption. He balanced the budget in Massachuesetts and produced a surplus. He produced the best winter olympics on record after restructuring a corrupt board of directors, removing officials at the center of the scandals, balancing the budget for 2002 Olympic Games and operating under budget. Romney has attempted to set an example of strong leadership, integrity, and compassion that will become even more pronounced if he runs for president of the United States.

What is your oppinion?

although apparantly most mormons think he is the best for the job because of his religion i dont think that he will win the 2008 election and i really dont think a mormon should take the office of white house yet. THere are a lot of evangelicals in the USA more so then there are anyother religion and chances are they would rather vote for a catholic or christian then they would a mormon.

although apparantly most mormons think he is the best for the job because of his religion i dont think that he will win the 2008 election and i really dont think a mormon should take the office of white house yet. THere are a lot of evangelicals in the USA more so then there are anyother religion and chances are they would rather vote for a catholic or christian then they would a mormon.

Well, I don't know about that now that the national Evangelical leader Ted Haggard has been accused of paying to have gay sex and being a meth user.....accusations that acting senior pastor at New Life, Ross Parsley said that Haggard admitted were partially true....this could really rock the Evangelical world.

I thought Mitt Romney was a christian. B)

<div class='quotemain'>

I thought Mitt Romney was a christian. B)

okay ya you got me there but, i dont think those certain events of evangelical problems will affect the whole view point of devoted evangelicals. I still very sure that if he would run against hillary that hillary would win by a huge margin.

Here are a list of Evangelicals that support Mitt Romney for President:

Dr. Richard Land, President of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission

Cal Thomas, America's most widely syndicated op-ed columnist, himself an evangelical

David Dockery, the president of Union University, an evangelical institution in Tennessee

Chuck Colson, the leader of Prison Fellowship Ministries

There is even a website out there called Evangelicals for Mitt and in the straw poll held in South Carolina at the Southern Republican Convention, Mitt Romney came in second with George Allen comming in first and John McCain comming in third. Many of those present were Evangelical Christians.

Well, I don't know about that now that the national Evangelical leader Ted Haggard has been accused of paying to have gay sex and being a meth user.....accusations that acting senior pastor at New Life, Ross Parsley said that Haggard admitted were partially true....this could really rock the Evangelical world.

I just read about this today. Very sad indeed. I'll not cast stones yet, but it does sound like Haggard will be out of the loop for awhile.

Why you believe this has to do with Election '08 is beyond me, however. You really believe that because an evangelical spiritual leader may have given in to sexual temptation, that evangelicals will be humbled into silence?

BTW, I believe you point out in a later post that many evangelicals (myself included), would welcome a Romney candidacy. So, try not to play with matches near the same bridges you're trying to build. Safety First!