A Modest Home

Interesting - the way you define the "home of the free".

If you are referring to Canada (where I live) as the "home of the free", I will just say that I'm not just considering house prices here but in many different cities in North America and over seas that are ridiculous. It's a reality.

M.

One that you can and will take care of yourself - without having or relying on others (paying) to do such things. If you require help - it is beyond your modest ability. :)

The Traveler

I normally agree with you Traveler but not on this one. There are some things we have to rely on others to do for us because we are inexperienced in doing it ourselves (repairs). Also, I know of people who have grundles of money and pay for housekeepers, pool guys and gardeners. The homeowners do as much as they can themselves but then pay to have taken care of what they can't accomplish. In one case (a close family member), yes it's a huge house but they have generously let many many people use it for gatherings and lodging. (My own daughter had a wedding reception there.) And in paying others to help take care of the house, they are employing people who are less fortunate- giving them a job rather than just giving them a handout.

I think one thing that happens is families feel pressured to have both parents work to pay the mortgage. If both parents HAVE to work to afford a nicer, bigger home, then maybe they are making the wrong decision. Don't sacrifice your home for your house.

Yup. Dave Ramsey always says that your house should be a blessing. If you are working 2 (sometimes 3) jobs between two people or if you are house poor or if you can't put money away for repairs & emergencies, then your house is not a blessing to you.

For me, a modest home is one which meets my needs, doesn't use up all of my income, and 'allows' me to pay tithing without feeling financial pressure to use that money for other things.