SNES RPGS flashback

Bini

I know that some of you got to mess around with the legendary Atari 2600 but that was before my time :] My first gaming experience was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and I have some fond memories with it. I stumbled upon this read. From that list, I have only played Lufia, which was a great game. I later enjoyed Final Fantasy Series, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest and Star Ocean on the Playstation. I wish that someone would bring back the old school RPGs to the new gen systems. Any of you played what's on that list? I still have the SNES..

Some older Sega games can be found on Steam, and quite a few games for the SNES (and other systems, not all of them Nintendo) can be purchased through the Wii. For example Chrono Trigger is available on Wii's virtual console: List of Virtual Console games (North America) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Edited by Dravin

I know that some of you got to mess around with the legendary Atari 2600 but that was before my time :] My first gaming experience was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and I have some fond memories with it. I stumbled upon this read. From that list, I have only played Lufia, which was a great game. I later enjoyed Final Fantasy Series, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest and Star Ocean on the Playstation. I wish that someone would bring back the old school RPGs to the new gen systems. Any of you played what's on that list? I still have the SNES..

I am lame, I only played FF 3 (6 in japan)

Anyone else remember blowing fiercely into their game cartridges when the SNES couldn't read the data off the cartridge? Blowing into it (a common belief at the time was that it removed any dust off the metal contacts) always seemed to fix it ;)

Edited by Mahone

Anyone else remember blowing fiercely into their game cartridges when the SNES couldn't read the data off the cartridge? Blowing into it (a common belief at the time was that it removed any dust off the metal contacts) always seemed to fix it ;)

Ha! I remember DOING this. Strange, it did seem to fix the problem.. Placebo? Lmbo.

Played and beat almost all of those except a few lol. My favorites are ff2 (iv), ff3 (vi), chrono trigger, seiken densetsu (Secret Of Mana)series. Is so many more not on that list that were amazing games I often will replay them maybe once every year or 2 I still find them much more fun then most games now a days lol.

Anyone else remember blowing fiercely into their game cartridges when the SNES couldn't read the data off the cartridge?

Didn't have the SNES, but I remember doing this with the original NES, and an Atari 2600.

The real question is how we all learned to do that. I don't remember anybody ever telling me to do it.

Didn't have the SNES, but I remember doing this with the original NES, and an Atari 2600.

The real question is how we all learned to do that. I don't remember anybody ever telling me to do it.

Good question. If there isn't an app for that (explaining), there must be a wiki page somewhere that does.. How bizarre, how bizarre.

Ha! I remember DOING this. Strange, it did seem to fix the problem.. Placebo? Lmbo.

Well, there are a lot of different theories flying around, one of which is that your breath coated the metal contacts in a thin layer of saliva which helped increase conductivity between two sets of metal contacts which were suffering from wear and tear. This, of course, would make the problem worse in the long term as your saliva would help the metal corrode.

There did appear to be some sort of manufacturer defect though, as so many of us had these issues that encouraged us to blow into them in the first place.

I think I still have a SNES lying around somewhere in a family members house. I might get it out some day ;)

Well, there are a lot of different theories flying around, one of which is that your breath coated the metal contacts in a thin layer of saliva which helped increase conductivity between two sets of metal contacts which were suffering from wear and tear. This, of course, would make the problem worse in the long term as your saliva would help the metal corrode.

There did appear to be some sort of manufacturer defect though, as so many of us had these issues that encouraged us to blow into them in the first place.

I think I still have a SNES lying around somewhere in a family members house. I might get it out some day ;)

My personal theory (in the WAG type of theory) has to do with seating the cartridge. The cartridge could be rather particular and when it wasn't seated to make it happy you'd pull it out, blow on it, and reseat it. The reseating, not the blowing, is what made it work.