Bytors son preparing for Mission

bytor2112

Well, my oldest son will be 19 in December and he is going to serve a church mission. It is difficult to express the range of emotions I have been feeling. Excitement, anxiety, depression, uncertainty.......ughh. I am really surprised at my feelings.

I have long thought and planned for this event, but now that the time is fast approaching there has been a part of me that is....unsure. I have had many lengthy discussions with him that include making sure that he serves the mission for the right reasons...not for his dad or mom, or for his Bishop or because he has been taught that all young men should serve. But serve it because HE wants to serve the Lord and share the Gospel.

He has moved into the EQ just two weeks ago and his dad (Bytor) is the EQP. We have been discussing the oath and covenant of the Priesthood, greater accountability, church discipline, incredible blessings at the Temple and have been blessed with some very Spirit filled moments.

I realize that when he leaves our time together as we have thus far known it will be over. I feel this great ache inside and am really unsure how to deal with it. I know that him serving is the right thing to do, but, I am filling abit wobbly in the knees about it.

Has anyone had similar feelings when their sons or daughters left for a mission?

Edited by bytor2112

I have. My son is in his sixth month out. We have found tremendous blessings for both ourselves and our son due to his service, and there is nowhere we would rather him be. Nevertheless, Sister Vort sheds tears daily, and my son is experiencing growing pains. But he is doing so well and has such marvelous companions that we express gratitude many times daily for the Lord and his tender love. You're doing the right thing, and I am confident your son will be just fine.

It sounds to me like you've done a lot to prepare him. Of course, those of us that have served missions know that it is an experience, so you can prepare in thought and spirit, but the real experience has to be lived. The biggest thing my dad for me was read scriptures about the 4 sons of Mosiah, and about loving the people.

How to prepare the parents for it might be harder. I wish you and your son the best! You must be proud.

I am not one of those parents, but I can imagine the feelings of saying good-bye to your 19 year old son and knowing you won't be seeing him for 2 years. For me, 19 is too young to leave home but many do.

My friend has had 3 sons (my nephews) leave and return home honourably from missions and her last son is now serving in Philadelphia with only 8 months left to go. She's always been very excited for her sons to serve, so I'm not sure how anxious she was when the time came to say good-bye. For her first two sons, her husband and her made it their mission to go pick their sons up from their missions when they were over. So I think looking forward to the trips together with knowing she'd see her sons again in person made the waiting a little easier. She did the same with her third son, but her husband (her sons' father) had passed away by that time, so the trip wasn't exactly the same; she and her now husband did make the trip to pick him up though. And I know she's planning another trip when it comes to picking up her youngest son.

From what I've gathered with numerous nephews away at missions and being able to communicate via email, is that parents of missionaries have a connection to their children through the mission president. Not only can you communicate to the mission president (and his wife) through email, but also by phone and also Facebook. Not only the MP but anyone who meets your children (ward members) may wish to send the parent of the missionary some wonderful words about their children.

My nephew that is still out writes weekly emails about the week before, sends them to his mom and she forwards them to family and friends. And sometimes pictures are attached to those emails. And of course he gets emails, letters and packages from us. Being on this end of the mission, sometimes I find that missions go by slowly during part of those 2 years and sometimes other moments goes by so quickly.

My son is 20 and still lives at home and I can't imagine having him leave for 2 years with limited communications. I know it's possible but it would be hard. I hope you and your son, bytor, have a happy farewell and before you know it he will be home again with wonderful stories to tell you.

M.

First of all Congratulations on having a son so well prepared who wants to serve a mission. That is no small accomplishment.

Yes I've felt the same mix of feelings. Its a hard time but the most worthy endeavors are hard and the most rewarding. Sometimes its hard to rejoice when our children are leaving for two years.

My son came home after 6 months (his choice). I thought it was hard having him gone. It was harder to have him come home early. His choices since then have been difficult too. And his choices directly affected the choices his younger brother made. Since then I'd gladly go back to the feelings you're having now....they are a blessing.

We have just started his paperwork and still have a physical and dental visit to do as well. He meets with the Stake President next week for an interview to receive the Melchizidek. Priesthood.

Has your family started the guessing game...where will he go? My guess...Brazil! Let us know.