When is respect due and when is respect earned?

Bini

I haven't read all the post so if this has been said sorry. Weither we show respect to someone or not is a choice that we make for ourself. We choose to show respect or not. The reasons we would choose to not show respect to someone, anyone are probaly not Christ like. If someone does something to hurt us or are "not deserving of our respect" why does that give us the right to not be respectful. We are to love everyone and be Christ like. Usally not showing respect to someone is doing or saying something to them or about them that is rude, mean or hateful. How is that showing love or being Christlike. Just my opion!

While thinkiong about the question in the OP i had this one come to mind what is greater, love or respect?

It's like asking which came first the chicken or the egg.

Love, is of course greater. But, in my opinion, one cannot love without respect. And I take to heart the commandment to Love Thy God with all your heart and love thy neighbors.

But you guys have a different take on respect than me. I can respect somebody without having to agree with them. I can respect a criminal without having to condone his actions. Without respect, there would be no need for me to treat him with dignity and afford him dignity. And that's something that I have to do no matter the circumstance.

As I came of age I started praying for our leaders, including the President. Some time ago (years? decades?) a new President was elected. I had not voted for this person. About six months into his term the Lord convicted me on this. I came to the conclusion that if I did not trust/like/agree with leadership I should pray twice as hard for God to give them wisdom.

Respect the office and pray for the individual burdened with it. In God's sovereignty the person is there, so if we live under their jurisdiction then praying for their wisdom and blessing is like praying for our own.

It's like asking which came first the chicken or the egg.

Love, is of course greater. But, in my opinion, one cannot love without respect. And I take to heart the commandment to Love Thy God with all your heart and love thy neighbors.

But you guys have a different take on respect than me. I can respect somebody without having to agree with them. I can respect a criminal without having to condone his actions. Without respect, there would be no need for me to treat him with dignity and afford him dignity. And that's something that I have to do no matter the circumstance.

Thats the conclusion ihave come to as well.