Modest is the Hottest

MorningStar

Living in the Seattle area, we have had quite a few espresso stands sprout up advertising women in bikinis, lingerie, etc. After a new one showed up in the Snohomish area here, another espresso stand down the street put up a sign that said "Modest is the Hottest". Then I was just passing through Renton the other day and one stand had a sign that said, "We serve our beans in our jeans". The other side said, "Freshly roasted. Fully clothed."

Are any other areas plagued with these ridculous places my friend calls "slut huts"? I hate them. But I'm so grateful for the places that value modesty. I wonder if they serve hot chocolate? :D Maybe I should just drive through to tell them thank you.

Ouch! Slut hut is harsh. I watched a show recently where women were bashing other women for not living modest standards. For me, it makes more sense to teach our daughters to value themselves, versus slamming those that live differently than we do.

Living in the Seattle area, we have had quite a few espresso stands sprout up advertising women in bikinis, lingerie, etc. After a new one showed up in the Snohomish area here, another espresso stand down the street put up a sign that said "Modest is the Hottest". Then I was just passing through Renton the other day and one stand had a sign that said, "We serve our beans in our jeans". The other side said, "Freshly roasted. Fully clothed."

Are any other areas plagued with these ridculous places my friend calls "slut huts"? I hate them. But I'm so grateful for the places that value modesty. I wonder if they serve hot chocolate? :D Maybe I should just drive through to tell them thank you.

Reminds me of the plank, speck thing. Perhaps you should simply live your life out reverently before Heavenly Father, eh?

Ouch! Slut hut is harsh. I watched a show recently where women were bashing other women for not living modest standards. For me, it makes more sense to teach our daughters to value themselves, versus slamming those that live differently than we do.

There was this report on the news that one of the stands by a daycare had not just women dressed in lingerie where anyone could see them, they were engaging in certain behavior with male patrons. Very disturbing and that would be an accurate description. My friend knows a girl who was fired because her boss decided one day to transition his normal espresso stand to one where the required uniform was lingerie. Another girl was fired because her skirt wasn't short enough. Ugh. It's aggravating to be driving by one of these things with my boys in the car and to see the signs advertising fantasy girls dressed in bikinis.

There was this report on the news that one of the stands by a daycare had not just women dressed in lingerie where anyone could see them, they were engaging in certain behavior with male patrons. Very disturbing and that would be an accurate description. My friend knows a girl who was fired because her boss decided one day to transition his normal espresso stand to one where the required uniform was lingerie. Another girl was fired because her skirt wasn't short enough. Ugh. It's aggravating to be driving by one of these things with my boys in the car and to see the signs advertising fantasy girls dressed in bikinis.

I don't disagree that this is inappropriate and isn't LDS standard. That said, my point is that it doesn't help the situation when women use derogatory words like "slut" or "whore", especially when it's acceptable to label women as such by society in general. Let's teach our daughters to love and value themselves, and let's not point fingers at the daughters of God that were not as fortunate to have such positive role models in their lives.

It should be very apparent that even in the 21st century, women do not have equal rights, though we are constantly told we do. Such discrimination and illegal firings should be policed against, but usually are not.

It is my hope that these women will find employment where their physical beauty is not the focus of their value. Some of us have never been considered pretty. Perhaps that is a blessing?

Me, too. I have an appreciation for anyone that chooses morals and good ethics over temporal things. I was merely commenting on the "slut" comment. I think that was a poor way of expressing oneself.

I understand. Well, I must say that to my knowledge, no one has ever used that term to describe me. On one level, at one time, I would have found that flattering. NOT ! Those who use those terms to describe others should perhaps look within.

I would consider that sexual harrassment to be told by my boss suddenly that I have to wear a bikini. I can't believe they get away with that, but then look at the attire required at Hooters.

With Hooters, you know beforehand what kind of attire you're expected to wear. If you have a problem with that, you'd be best to avoid applying there. Not sure what the law is regarding company's changing work uniform on whim from one outfit to another. I suppose if you're the employer, and running your own business, you can demand a uniform change from long sleeved shirts to sleeveless shirts (for example), and not break any laws. It may be a modesty issue for certain individuals, though.

I don't disagree that this is inappropriate and isn't LDS standard. That said, my point is that it doesn't help the situation when women use derogatory words like "slut" or "whore", especially when it's acceptable to label women as such by society in general. Let's teach our daughters to love and value themselves, and let's not point fingers at the daughters of God that were not as fortunate to have such positive role models in their lives.

In your opinion, Bini, is there ever a time when it would be acceptable to call someone a "whore" or a "slut" or a "pimp" or a "jerk" or some other derogatory label?

I would consider that sexual harrassment to be told by my boss suddenly that I have to wear a bikini. I can't believe they get away with that, but then look at the attire required at Hooters.

At one time, I was working with the Japanese here in America in one of their manufacturing plants doing some very technical research.

It felt strange when the Japanese visited because these important men would bring their secretaries. There seemed to be a sort of uniform and they all seemed to conform to it without question.

The women, all very slim, wore light blue skirt suits with hems that were above the knee quite a lot, and rather tight, with very fitted jackets and white blouses. They all wore rather high heels. It was disconcerting to see the women all bowing to the men and saying "Hi". It is a cultural custom that to Americans looks very strange.

I tried to resist but found it difficult to escape the feeling that their relationship with their bosses ran much deeper than paper work. There was never any doubt in my mind that these women were anything but subservient to the men.

In your opinion, Bini, is there ever a time when it would be acceptable to call someone a "whore" or a "slut" or a "pimp" or a "jerk" or some other derogatory label?

Ideally, trying to be more Christlike - no - there is never a time for name calling. Do I do it myself? Sure I have. But that's what I'm working on. I think charity instead of venom is something mankind could use a lot more of.

Ideally, trying to be more Christlike - no - there is never a time for name calling. Do I do it myself? Sure I have. But that's what I'm working on. I think charity instead of venom is something mankind could use a lot more of.

I agree with these sentiments. So do you think it's wrong (for example) when talking about some anonymous poster's supposedly abusive husband, to call him a "jerk" or a "loser"?

I agree with these sentiments. So do you think it's wrong (for example) when talking about some anonymous poster's supposedly abusive husband, to call him a "jerk" or a "loser"?

Yes, name calling is wrong. Like I said, I'm guilty of name calling but when I'm thinking clearly, I try to put myself in Christ's shoes and think: What Would Jesus Do? I believe He would use charity instead of venom.

You could call it a promiscuous hut, but then it wouldn't rhyme.

But how do you know that these women are "promiscuous"? By definition, that is someone that engages in casual sex with numerous partners. Just saying. :D And yes, I agree, it doesn't rhyme!

At one time, I was working with the Japanese here in America in one of their manufacturing plants doing some very technical research.

It felt strange when the Japanese visited because these important men would bring their secretaries. There seemed to be a sort of uniform and they all seemed to conform to it without question.

The women, all very slim, wore light blue skirt suits with hems that were above the knee quite a lot, and rather tight, with very fitted jackets and white blouses. They all wore rather high heels. It was disconcerting to see the women all bowing to the men and saying "Hi". It is a cultural custom that to Americans looks very strange.

I tried to resist but found it difficult to escape the feeling that their relationship with their bosses ran much deeper than paper work. There was never any doubt in my mind that these women were anything but subservient to the men.

What did you mean by the bolded part?