Thoughts on 1st Corinthians Verses

JosephP

I would like some opinions on these verses. I'm not gaining a clear understanding of their meaning.

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

(New Testament, 1 Corinthians, Chapter 1)

Most public universities, and the vast majority of the Ivy League, now consider Christianity to be foolish and powerless. Believers find great wisdom and strength in our faith. We look at the high-sounding arguments of the unbelieving and shake our heads in wonder. We try to tell them...but our words sound stupid to them who will not believe.

Ironically, God often uses the least to confound the greatest. Some of the most successful mega-churches are lead by people of relatively little education. Sometimes their assistant pastors are well educated, and will edit their sermons.

In South America another denomination would find some relatively new converts, who were successful businessmen. These fellows were powerful communicators, and would start evangelistic Bible studies, quickly garnering a couple hundred listeners. Seeing they had God's call on their lives, they would send these men to Bible college for four years, and then commission them as pastors. This worked somewhat.

My fellowship would offer these men partnerships with established ministers. These mentors would provide sermons for the businessmen to preach. Overtime they would teach them basic Bible study methods. Then they would mentor them as they took Bible correspondence courses--all the time these new converts were "pastoring" their churches. This method met with much greater success, because recognized, trusted leaders were supported and mentored, and never pulled out from their circles of influence.

God does indeed use the simple to confound the wise, those of little means to accomplish great things.

I really like PCs comment.

I am reminded of the scripture in the Book of Mormon, which specifies, "when men are learned they think they are wise and hearken not unto the counsels of God."

The Jews, were studied in their scriptures, yet Christ, their God, despite their studies became a stumbling block to further progression. As some in the New Testament from Nazareth would say, "Isn't this the carpenters son?"

The Greeks were philosophers, studied and well educated. The wisdom is God is faith based, but through our faith the Lord provides evidences to increase our faith, if we are humble. The Greeks today would be Scientist and Philosophers who say, "Show me proof..." Richard Dawkins is a perfect example of what 1 Corinthians is speaking about.

Yet, a child, who has received witness, is more wise and honest of hear than all the learned and educated put together.

This is one of the reasons why the first vision of Joseph Smith is so important. The moment Joseph Smith was visited by both God the Father and Jesus Christ he became smarter and more wise than anybody else on the planet, yet when he spoke what he saw, many esteemed, and many still do esteem his wisdom as a thing of naught. Thus in our day, Joseph has become a stumbling block to many, as Christ was with the Jews.

These are some of my thoughts JosephP.

I would like some opinions on these verses. I'm not gaining a clear understanding of their meaning.

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

(New Testament, 1 Corinthians, Chapter 1)

Spiritual concepts are understood spiritually not carnally.