Any Ideas?

Leah

In a crash a week ago. Police investigation concluded 100% other driver's fault. Injuries. Car destroyed. Other insurance has officially accepted liability. Have received some forms in mail....HIPPA ROI, etc., but other insurance is not returning my calls or that of my insurance. I am SO frustrated!!! I need a rental vehicle and here I sit a week later with nothing. I've been released to go Back to work Thursday ( with lots of restrictions), but can,t get there without wheels. I can file a complaint with state ombudsman' but that won't get me to work in two days. I can get help from an attorney at work for the Medical/pain and suffering part but not property. I have no idea what to do.

Something similar happened to me this year but not as serious. You probably need to pay your deductible and have your insurance take care of the charges, including a car rental. They'll sue the other company to get the money back, including the deductible you pay. Sorry they're being stinkers about it!

Something similar happened to me this year but not as serious. You probably need to pay your deductible and have your insurance take care of the charges, including a car rental. They'll sue the other company to get the money back, including the deductible you pay. Sorry they're being stinkers about it!

My insurance didn't return my call today. The last time I spoke with them, they said it would be "easier" for the other company to handle everything. Easier for whom?

I am trying to focus on gratitude. They tell me I was hit HARD and the collision people say they can't figure out how the firefighters got me out. But pain makes me cranky. :(

That's a shame. My insurance company was far more helpful and they're the ones that suggested I let them handle it so I could be taken care of and not have to deal with the hassle. I wonder if yours would reimburse you if it came down to it and you had to go get a rental on your own?

I'm sorry you're in pain. :( Your accident was worse than mine, and I was feeling rotten for a couple of weeks.

Did you file a claim on the other drivers insurance? Did you call your insurance carrier and inform them of the accident, give them the claim number given to you from the other drivers insurance when you called in the claim, told your claims adjuster about your medical and your need for a rental?

If you have, then call your adjuster right now, tell him/her that you need the rental right now. It is your responsibility to inform your insurance carrier whether you are at fault or not.

If you have done all of this, and still are not getting results, then contact your Agent. Yep, the human being who sold you the insurance. Call them. Call the carrier and don't let more than 24 hours lapse between calls.

If you just get voice mail, then click on whatever number you have to to get a human being. Then tell the operator you need his/her help. That Claims Adjuster So & So is not returning your calls. Ask for their email address, AND the address of his/her supervisor, along with the phone number of the supervisor. Now this is the Claims Adjuster's Supervisor.

If the operator is really chatty and helpful, go ahead and ask for the Name, Phone Number & email addys of the Supers Superior. Repeat them all back to insure you get everything correctly.

Now, Email the claims adjuster with your request for contact, list the information you are seeking, and number it.

EXAMPLE: John Worker, this is in follow up to the voice mail I left you on mm/dd/yyyy at xx:xx AM/ PM. I am in need of a rental car. I am returning to work on mm/dd/yyyy at xx:xx AM and to get there I will need a vehicle. Please call me at: (123) 456-7890 to relay when I can pick the rental up.

Give the adjuster 2 business days to respond. Then send the same email to him/her again only this time CC the supervisor.

EXAMPLE: John Worker, 2nd NOTICE I have not received a response to my first email. Tomorrow I will be expecting your call telling me that you have made arrangements for my rental.

Leah, wait two hours, and then call the supervisor. If all you get is a voice mail, leave a message, then follow up with an email. Address it to the Supervisor, CC the adjuster and CC the supers supervisor. If your email program will allow you to send these emails at Top Priority, then do so.

You might also contact the other insured's claims adjuster and request a rental, and medical. You need to request the claim number, and the email address, phone number, and snail mail address of this claims adjuster. ALWAYS follow a phone call with an email. In the email detail what was said in the phone call, and request a prompt response.

Emails are ideal proof of contact. Save yours, and print them out - making sure that all of the header info is printed also. In all of your correspondence, be sure to put your name, policy number, carriers name (All State, ESurance, Traveler's, etc.) phone number(s), email addy's and your mailing address.

Go to your local police station and request a copy of the accident report. Keep the original and scan it into your computer.

Call, email every day - start early, 8 or 9 AM. IF you have not heard from them by noon, call right then, talk to the operator and find out when they will be back from lunch. Then call 5 minutes after they return.

Believe me, every time an insured calls in, it is posted to their account. I have had operators read me what has been posted - this way I knew what the adjuster was actually doing and the day he/she did it. My phone conversations were recorded also - so keep the language clean, keep the accusations to a very dull roar, and state only the facts.

You take notes, and keep them with all of the other data from your accident.

If you are the No Fault driver, there is NO deductible. The only one who pays deductible is the At Fault Driver. As for easier, tell them YOU are the client, and they are to make it easier for YOU. Stand firm.

Edited by Iggy

Did you file a claim on the other drivers insurance? Did you call your insurance carrier and inform them of the accident, give them the claim number given to you from the other drivers insurance when you called in the claim, told your claims adjuster about your medical and your need for a rental?

If you have, then call your adjuster right now, tell him/her that you need the rental right now. It is your responsibility to inform your insurance carrier whether you are at fault or not.

If you have done all of this, and still are not getting results, then contact your Agent. Yep, the human being who sold you the insurance. Call them. Call the carrier and don't let more than 24 hours lapse between calls.

If you just get voice mail, then click on whatever number you have to to get a human being. Then tell the operator you need his/her help. That Claims Adjuster So & So is not returning your calls. Ask for their email address, AND the address of his/her supervisor, along with the phone number of the supervisor. Now this is the Claims Adjuster's Supervisor.

If the operator is really chatty and helpful, go ahead and ask for the Name, Phone Number & email addys of the Supers Superior. Repeat them all back to insure you get everything correctly.

Now, Email the claims adjuster with your request for contact, list the information you are seeking, and number it.

EXAMPLE: John Worker, this is in follow up to the voice mail I left you on mm/dd/yyyy at xx:xx AM/ PM. I am in need of a rental car. I am returning to work on mm/dd/yyyy at xx:xx AM and to get there I will need a vehicle. Please call me at: (123) 456-7890 to relay when I can pick the rental up.

Give the adjuster 2 business days to respond. Then send the same email to him/her again only this time CC the supervisor.

EXAMPLE: John Worker, 2nd NOTICE I have not received a response to my first email. Tomorrow I will be expecting your call telling me that you have made arrangements for my rental.

Leah, wait two hours, and then call the supervisor. If all you get is a voice mail, leave a message, then follow up with an email. Address it to the Supervisor, CC the adjuster and CC the supers supervisor. If your email program will allow you to send these emails at Top Priority, then do so.

You might also contact the other insured's claims adjuster and request a rental, and medical. You need to request the claim number, and the email address, phone number, and snail mail address of this claims adjuster. ALWAYS follow a phone call with an email. In the email detail what was said in the phone call, and request a prompt response.

Emails are ideal proof of contact. Save yours, and print them out - making sure that all of the header info is printed also. In all of your correspondence, be sure to put your name, policy number, carriers name (All State, ESurance, Traveler's, etc.) phone number(s), email addy's and your mailing address.

Go to your local police station and request a copy of the accident report. Keep the original and scan it into your computer.

Call, email every day - start early, 8 or 9 AM. IF you have not heard from them by noon, call right then, talk to the operator and find out when they will be back from lunch. Then call 5 minutes after they return.

Believe me, every time an insured calls in, it is posted to their account. I have had operators read me what has been posted - this way I knew what the adjuster was actually doing and the day he/she did it. My phone conversations were recorded also - so keep the language clean, keep the accusations to a very dull roar, and state only the facts.

You take notes, and keep them with all of the other data from your accident.

If you are the No Fault driver, there is NO deductible. The only one who pays deductible is the At Fault Driver. As for easier, tell them YOU are the client, and they are to make it easier for YOU. Stand firm.

I have done all of that except for the emails. Don't have a computer any more so am working from a borrowed tablet. Takes me forever to type a simple email and haven,t got the hang of the tablet. Have head injury and am not even supposed to be doing this kind of stuff right now. Am SO frustrated because have no one to help me!

This is a tough situation & I wish you the best.

It does fall to you to make sure your insurance & your adjuster know what your needs are & how urgent those needs may be.

Unfortunately the wheels of progress turn slowly & may take more then 2 days.

If your insurance is not returning your calls, it may be beneficial to contact your agent in addition to your adjuster. Your agent earns a comission off your policy & if you are an unhappy customer, well, you see where that is going.

Some agents will jump on it while others don't.

If you still don't seem to get much of a response it might be worth the cost of hiring your own adjuster that will represent your interests (usual charge is a %age of what they recover for you) .... your insurance co adjuster represents your insurance, not you (sounds wrong since you pay your insurance to protect you financially, but is true).

Sometimes simply knowing that you are intending or checking into hiring your own adjuster will get your insurance to move quicker as they really don't want another party involved.

Frequently, especially if your adjuster & the companies adjuster disagree & it goes to arbritration, the insurance may end up paying your adjusters fees too.

It is unfortunate but in todays world of litigation, hiring an attorney & filing a law suit against the other driver & their insurance is becoming a more & more necessary. Everyone, including your insurance, is looking at their bottom line & their investors, & the customers tend to be pushed down the ladder a few rungs.

Most attorneys will take on a case based on %age of winnings, costing nothing if you loose.

They'll help get you everything including loss of income etc & will work to get "extra" to cover anything that your insurance may have paid out that they didn't get reimbursed for (yes, your insurance can take your "winnings" if they still have unrecovered losses from the accident).

It is always frustrating to be at the mercy of an insurance company.

Use to be, & still is for the vast majority of national companies, that your insurance will handle everything. It surprises me that they told it would be easier for the other company to handle it all ... that your insurance would just surrender control so readily.

Most times your insurance will not want you to discuss the matter with the other driver ot the other insurance. WAY to easy for something you say to be called into question. Determining fault is a little different for a cop then it is for an insurance company. They look at different factors & don't always agree with the police officers determination. Sometimes they may even dispute the officers report.

Still though, if you have collission coverage your insurance should pay your claim or begin providing services such as a rental regardless of who is at fault. If you have the coverage then they should be paying & seeking to recover their costs from the other insurance if you are not at fault.

The last time we had an accident I was less then impressed with our insurance adjuster. He didn't respond very favorably when I asked him a few questions trying to understand his determination.

Right there in his presence I called my agent & explained the situation & told my agent that if I did not feel that they, as my insurance, were meeting my expections that I would hire my own private adjuster as well as involve counsel.

I also made it clear that I was not opposed to loosing 10% of my annual premiums & immediately changing companies mid-policy year.

My agent didn't like that very well as he knew that would also mean my home owners & farm insurance would also be changed & said he'd make some calls.

The companies adjuster was clearly irritated that I knew I could hire my own adjuster to respresent my interests. Told me I was "a fool" if I did, "no one" could represent me as well as they could. He handed me the paperwork & stormed off.

I had a check from my isurance Fed Ex'd & in hand the next morning. Then they sued the other guys insurnance & few months later I got another "supplimental" check to cover additional things they had obtained compensation for.

This is a tough situation & I wish you the best.

It does fall to you to make sure your insurance & your adjuster know what your needs are & how urgent those needs may be.

Unfortunately the wheels of progress turn slowly & may take more then 2 days.

If your insurance is not returning your calls, it may be beneficial to contact your agent in addition to your adjuster. Your agent earns a comission off your policy & if you are an unhappy customer, well, you see where that is going.

Some agents will jump on it while others don't.

If you still don't seem to get much of a response it might be worth the cost of hiring your own adjuster that will represent your interests (usual charge is a %age of what they recover for you) .... your insurance co adjuster represents your insurance, not you (sounds wrong since you pay your insurance to protect you financially, but is true).

Sometimes simply knowing that you are intending or checking into hiring your own adjuster will get your insurance to move quicker as they really don't want another party involved.

Frequently, especially if your adjuster & the companies adjuster disagree & it goes to arbritration, the insurance may end up paying your adjusters fees too.

It is unfortunate but in todays world of litigation, hiring an attorney & filing a law suit against the other driver & their insurance is becoming a more & more necessary. Everyone, including your insurance, is looking at their bottom line & their investors, & the customers tend to be pushed down the ladder a few rungs.

Most attorneys will take on a case based on %age of winnings, costing nothing if you loose.

They'll help get you everything including loss of income etc & will work to get "extra" to cover anything that your insurance may have paid out that they didn't get reimbursed for (yes, your insurance can take your "winnings" if they still have unrecovered losses from the accident).

It is always frustrating to be at the mercy of an insurance company.

Use to be, & still is for the vast majority of national companies, that your insurance will handle everything. It surprises me that they told it would be easier for the other company to handle it all ... that your insurance would just surrender control so readily.

Most times your insurance will not want you to discuss the matter with the other driver ot the other insurance. WAY to easy for something you say to be called into question. Determining fault is a little different for a cop then it is for an insurance company. They look at different factors & don't always agree with the police officers determination. Sometimes they may even dispute the officers report.

Still though, if you have collission coverage your insurance should pay your claim or begin providing services such as a rental regardless of who is at fault. If you have the coverage then they should be paying & seeking to recover their costs from the other insurance if you are not at fault.

The last time we had an accident I was less then impressed with our insurance adjuster. He didn't respond very favorably when I asked him a few questions trying to understand his determination.

Right there in his presence I called my agent & explained the situation & told my agent that if I did not feel that they, as my insurance, were meeting my expections that I would hire my own private adjuster as well as involve counsel.

I also made it clear that I was not opposed to loosing 10% of my annual premiums & immediately changing companies mid-policy year.

My agent didn't like that very well as he knew that would also mean my home owners & farm insurance would also be changed & said he'd make some calls.

The companies adjuster was clearly irritated that I knew I could hire my own adjuster to respresent my interests. Told me I was "a fool" if I did, "no one" could represent me as well as they could. He handed me the paperwork & stormed off.

I had a check from my isurance Fed Ex'd & in hand the next morning. Then they sued the other guys insurnance & few months later I got another "supplimental" check to cover additional things they had obtained compensation for.

It had been more than a week since the accident when I posted this. I had to go up the ladder to get a sort-of response. And they still haven't gotten their fannies out to look at the car. But, oh, they offered me a settlement in the very first - and only - phone call. A ridiculous number, which I turned down.

That said, there is a lot of helpful advice in your post and I thank you for that.

My agency did nothing. They said since it was the other guy's fault, it was "easier" if I just talked to the other insurance. They did not lift a finger to help me out.

The other insurance did accept liability rather quickly, though. They just never bothered to do anything after that. Maybe they thought I would just quietly go away?

An attorney here at work is now advising me on the important stuff, and he will make sure I get treated fairly. Or...as fairly as one can get treated by an insurance company who is looking out for their best interests (pay as little as possible), not yours.

I will be looking for a different company when I get another car, though.

Such fun. :)