The Official 2012 Christmas Music Thread

Wingnut

It's not December yet, but it's after Thanksgiving -- wahoo!!! I want us to get to know each other in terms of Christmas music. Feel free to discuss anything related to Christmas music -- including Song Pop challenges (I'm looking at you, Pam!) -- but I'll ask a few questions to kick things off.

1) What is your all-time most favoritest ever Christmas song?

2) Is there a particular song and/or album that makes you feel nostalgic?

3) What is a must-have album for you?

4) Are there any Christmas songs that you discovered this year or last year that you didn't know before, but you now really like?

My most absolutely all time favorite Christmas song is O' Holy Night.

A song that we sang at my concert last night has quickly gone to the top of my list. "There is Faint Music."

Here is a group singing it:

It's not December yet, but it's after Thanksgiving -- wahoo!!! I want us to get to know each other in terms of Christmas music. Feel free to discuss anything related to Christmas music -- including Song Pop challenges (I'm looking at you, Pam!) -- but I'll ask a few questions to kick things off.

4) Are there any Christmas songs that you discovered this year or last year that you didn't know before, but you now really like?

:wub: I love this thread already!

1) O Holy Night. But only the right rendition. Some are painful. What makes it my favorite are these words: "A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices; for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn."

1a) (bonus) My all-time most hated Christmas song? Christmas Shoes.

2. The old Ferrante and Teicher album with the instrumental Sleigh Ride everyone's heard. Or the Manheim Steamroller Christmas album from the late 80's/early 90's. Those take me back to my childhood.

3. Hard one. Right now, the Elf soundtrack. :D

4. This one isn't religious but I like it, and I'm a huge Sara Bareilles geek. I think she's th bees knees.

I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day. It was my great-grandmother's favorite. My dad has strong memories attached to it, and I love it because it's understated. I have a few recorded versions that I love.

The Oak Ridge Boys Christmas. My grandma loved this group, and my mom grew up listening to them. As long as I can remember, this has been played in my house. My husband hates it, and so does my brother. I think my dad tolerates it, but my mom and sister and I sing along at the top of our lungs. Come to think of it, maybe that's why my husband and brother hate it. Hmmmm....

Barenaked for the Holidays. Pure awesomeness.

More spiritually (and seriously), these two albums: here and here, in that order.

Christmas Cookies, by George Strait

Candy Cane Lane, by Point of Grace

My 2nd favorite from our concert is a song called "The Hands that First Held Mary's Child." Sorry don't mean to keep bring up the concert but those are the Christmas songs fresh in my mind right now.

Lyrics:

The hands that first held Mary's child were hard from working wood.

From boards they sawed and planed and filed

and splinters they withstood.

This day they gripped no tool of steel, they drove no iron nail,

but cradled from the head to heel

our Lord, newborn and frail.

When Joseph marveled at the size of that small breathing frame,

and gazed upon those bright new eyes

and spoke the infant's name,

the angel's words he once had dreamed poured down from heaven's height,

and like the host of stars that beamed

blessed earth with welcome light.

"This child shall be Emmanuel, not God upon the throne,

but God with us, Emmanuel, as close as blood and bone."

The tiny form in Joseph's palms confirmed what he had heard,

and from his heart rose hymns and psalms for heaven's human word.

The tools that Joseph laid aside a mob would later lift

and use with anger, fear, and pride to crucify God's gift.

Let us, O Lord, not only hold the child who's born today,

but charged with faith may we be bold to follow in His way.

Edited by pam

My 2nd favorite from our concert is a song called "The Hands that First Held Mary's Child." Sorry don't mean to keep bring up the concert but those are the Christmas songs fresh in my mind right now.

Lyrics:

The hands that first held Mary's child were hard from working wood.

From boards they sawed and planed and filed

and splinters they withstood.

This day they gripped no tool of steel, they drove no iron nail,

but cradled from the head to heel

our Lord, newborn and frail.

When Joseph marveled at the size of that small breathing frame,

and gazed upon those bright new eyes

and spoke the infant's name,

the angel's words he once had dreamed poured down from heaven's height,

and like the host of stars that beamed

blessed earth with welcome light.

"This child shall be Emmanuel, not God upon the throne,

but God with us, Emmanuel, as close as blood and bone."

The tiny form in Joseph's palms confirmed what he had heard,

and from his heart rose hymns and psalms for heaven's human word.

The tools that Joseph laid aside a mob would later lift

and use with anger, fear, and pride to crucify God's gift.

Let us, O Lord, not only hold the child who's born today,

but charged with faith may we be bold to follow in His way.

Beautiful! Reminds me of this painting I saw on Pinterest last year, that gave me a perspective I'd never considered.

INSPIRATIONAL

My favorite secular Christmas song has to be Nat King Cole's "Christmas song". His voice is just so smooth and rich.

Nat King Cole- Christmas Song - YouTube

I love all Christmas music so it is very hard for me to choose a favorite sacred song.

This is one of my favorite sacred Christmas songs,"Candlelight carol" by John Rutter. Lots of memories associated with this one.

YouTube

I love this thread and I totally agree with whoever said Christmas shoes was awful!!!!

Mags

Edited by pam

A couple more of my favorites:

Breath of Heaven

I love Breath of Heaven. Amy Grant sings it beautifully.

And I'm one that happens to like Christmas Shoes. So if someone would like to give me a gift card to Famous Footwear I'd be very happy to accept it.

I thought about throwing a "Least Favorite Christmas Song" question in there, but I knew that at least half the responses would be Christmas Shoes, but that you love it. So I left the question off. Seems to be unspoken, though. :)

This song is another great one...hilarious.

And I'm one that happens to like Christmas Shoes. So if someone would like to give me a gift card to Famous Footwear I'd be very happy to accept it.

I'm not talking about Christmas shoes that look pretty with your Christmas dress. I'm talking about "Christmas Shoes" that makes your ears bleed.

ETA: but because I love you, here's a Cyber Monday coupon for Famous Footwear. :) Famous Footwear Coupons: Get $18 Off w/ December 2012 Promo Codes

Edited by Eowyn

I'm not talking about Christmas shoes that look pretty with your Christmas dress. I'm talking about "Christmas Shoes" that makes your ears bleed.

ETA: but because I love you, here's a Cyber Monday coupon for Famous Footwear. :) Famous Footwear Coupons: Get $18 Off w/ December 2012 Promo Codes

I knew exactly what you were referring to. At that point you were to click the laugh button. :mad::lol:

Christmas Music -- Bah Humbug!!

I was in restaurant management/ownership for over 25 years and had to listen to Christmas music 10-14 hours a day 6 days a week from Thanksgiving until New Years and frankly after that I now HATE it!!

Seriously this is to bring up music we like etc. Not to discuss how we hate Christmas music. Sheesh...nice way to bring a downer to the thread.