Does the church offer pastoral counseling?

maleahstar

Guest LiterateParakeet

I say, cut 'em some slack. Neither of them asked to be doing what they're doing.

Just to clarify, I agree with you. I hope my post was not misunderstood as a criticism of Maleahstar's Bishop and Stake Pres, because as I said, I think perhaps there is some miscommunication going on...

My comments were actually directed at people here on the board, just because there were many comments that our Bishops don't do that. I think that is incorrect. It was never my intention to criticize Maleahstar's leaders.

I hope that is clearer.

"pastoral counseling' as I understand the term (see below) is not something a Bishop does or is trained to do.

You need to find out of there are LDS Social Services in your area.

Definition:

Pastoral counseling is a branch of counseling in which psychologically trained ministers, rabbis, priests, imams, and other persons provide therapy services. Pastoral counselors often integrate modern psychological thought and method with traditional religious training in an effort to address psychospiritual issues in addition to the traditional spectrum of counseling services

• 2 weeks later...

"pastoral counseling' as I understand the term (see below) is not something a Bishop does or is trained to do.

You need to find out of there are LDS Social Services in your area.

Definition:

I really think this is the best advice. The clergy in the LDS faith are not trained in psychology and do not (unless they happen to be psychologists by chance) have the credentials your doctor is telling you to look for. I actually agree with your Stake President but for different reasons. I don't think you are going to get the quality counseling you need unless you hire a professional. IMO, bishops tend to do better with temporal concerns. So, add a +1 to getting help from an LDS psychotherapist. Many of these professionals are serving in priesthood callings and can relate to what you need. This is how the church handles most counseling needs anyway.

Plus, I think that your Doctor is certainly trying to give you the best advice. And I can see why he might equate religious trauma with a religion based treatment. But, there are many ways to approach trauma therapy that can incorporate spiritual aspects but that don't require a specific religious focus. Sometimes, (this is my bias), it can actually be secondarily traumatizing if the counselor (or bishop) comes from the same paradigm that did the traumatizing in the first place. Sometimes it can be helpful to get an "outsiders" help. A counselor doesn't need to believe your religion in order to understand the nature of your wounds.

I'm not sure the nature of your trauma or the origins of your depression, but you could try EMDR, Lifespan Integration, Guided Imagery, trauma based yoga, or Neurofeedback. Some of these are less empirically based. But then again religion is less empirically based. :)

(And as a sidenote, I could be wrong but I think I see a little dependence coming out of you in your OP. I understand the dependence that happens between LDS people and their leaders. I dont think this is always healthy but I understand it. This might be an underlying contributor to the nature of your religious trauma. I assume that because often this kind of trauma involves betrayal of trust. If so, it could be very healing to stop the dependence and own your healing journey by taking it into your own hands. The empowerment alone can be a very healing step. Take this for what it's worth.)

Edited by Misshalfway

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think I understand the confusion here now...

Maleahstar mentioned in another thread that she is bi-sexual. Having that sexual orientation, and believing in God, can cause a great deal of guilt and confusion. So when Maleahstar's therapist suggested she seek Pastoral Counseling, I believe it was meant to be religious counseling regarding being bi-sexual. That is something we do in our church.

I think I understand the confusion here now...

Maleahstar mentioned in another thread that she is bi-sexual. Having that sexual orientation, and believing in God, can cause a great deal of guilt and confusion. So when Maleahstar's therapist suggested she seek Pastoral Counseling, I believe it was meant to be religious counseling regarding being bi-sexual. That is something we do in our church.

I'm sorry. Just for clarification, what do you mean by "something we do in our church."? You certainly aren't suggesting we have professionally trained clergy in this area. I think you just mean discussing the subject isn't out of the scope of priesthood leadership.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think you just mean discussing the subject isn't out of the scope of priesthood leadership.

Yes, I meant discussing the spiritual implications, worthiness etc regarding this issue.