Would You?

Guest Saint1396362409

Do not marry somebody thinking he will not change. At the same time, do not marry somebody thinking he will change. Marry somebody who you have absolute respect for who you can grow with and go on the journey to everlasting life with - wherever that road may lead you.

This, for any criteria. One of the biggest problems in my former marriage was that my ex wife wanted what she thought she could change me into, not what I am. From what I've seen, it's a pretty common problem. The solution is to look at the underlying person, not the surface traits.

I was a Methodist, and not even very good at that. I drank heavily at times. I spent a lot of money on fast cars and fast women. All of those have changed, and yet deep inside, I'm still the same person. Knowing what I know now, I will only marry someone who loves that part of me, and who I feel the same about.

I was a Methodist, and not even very good at that. I drank heavily at times. I spent a lot of money on fast cars and fast women. All of those have changed, and yet deep inside, I'm still the same person. Knowing what I know now, I will only marry someone who loves that part of me, and who I feel the same about.

So are you saying that should that person come out, the person you marry should just have to accept it?

Knowing how important it was to me to have a priesthood holder who could take me to the temple to be sealed, and who wanted to raise our children with the Gospel as much as I did. . . I would have been wary, but not opposed to dating an investigator. I was never willing to date nonmembers. I didn't see the point.

Dating an investigator creates the future risk of having to one day choose between one's church and one's spouse. It seems as if so many of life's important decisions involve balancing risk.

Many couples think they can work past the whole different-religion thing. And there are many successful stories. But I doubt it's usually easy.