Beware: Nail Salon Scam

Tough Grits

UGH!

It really amazes me how dishonest nail salons are being right now with their "gel" nails. Please go to the links below and read the articles if you "think" you have gel nails. Gel nails are more expensive, more natural-looking, and take longer to apply, but some salons are putting acrylic nails on (the liquid and powder stuff) and then brushing "gel" stuff on and charging the high gel price, even though they are acrylic NOT gel.

Gel nails are made with GEL, not the stinky liquid and powder of the acrylic nails. So, if your salon is still putting the "stinky" stuff on, but charging you for "gel" nails, then they are being dishonest and scamming you. There is no such thing as "gel powder". Gel is GEL. Only acrylic uses POWDER. Some salons are trying to do a hybrid acrylic/gel combination, but that is not even a real nail process. Either your nails are acrylic, or gel...but should not be a combination. Honest salons should know this.

If somebody likes their "hybrid" nails and doesn't mind paying for something that they didn't really get...that is fine. We all have agency, but what really BURNS me is when businesses take advantage of customers. People pay money to have an "expert" take care of them. It really disgusts me that some "experts" abuse customers. Fool me once, shame on YOU. And that is all it takes, because not only will I never visit that establishment again...but I will tell EVERYBODY I know what happened.

If you have been scammed, PLEASE file a complaint with the state, so that other women won't be scammed!

Are your Gel Nails Authentic - Or Have You Been Scammed? - Rebekah & Co. | Simply Shellac'd Exclusively At: SPALON

Anyone have gel nails? - Yahoo! Answers

Weighing Down on Beauty: GEL to POWDER NAIL SCAM- BEWARE

It seems that there are a lot of uneducated ladies out there when it comes to fake nails. Yes, acrylics and gels are two different things but a noob to the process makes for an easy target and is easily misinformed or misled. Like with most things, do your homework beforehand and know your options. I personally never cared for the gels, I wasn't convinced that they were any better than the acrylics and my girl does a fantastic job. That said, some places offer a gel coat over the acrylic which typically costs a couple dollars extra BUT it is OPTIONAL. So if your acrylics are $25 and you opt for the gel coating, you are charged an extra $2-$5, totalling $27-$30. I have seen many places offer this but I wouldn't classify them as scamming. I agree that if a places does acrylics with gel coating and advertises as "gels" -- that's a scam. But really, anyone that is a frequent mani/pedi goer is going to know the difference..

ANOTHER reason why the Book of Mormon warns us about costly apparel, and Isaiah warns about the women in Zion wearing crisping pins, bonnets, and other ornaments, and then "mince" as they walk!

Gel Nails, real or fake, are the devil's playground!

Are you being serious?

I mean, I'm a pretty low-maintenance, resourceful girl. I have gotten pretty good at finding good, inexpensive products and doing my own beauty treatments. People are surprised that I do some things myself, like highlights and pedicures. But I do not begrudge anyone who works it into their budget to have those things done. I certainly don't put myself in the position to judge them as unrighteous for doing so. Every now and then I'll do a little something for fun, and I sure don't feel guilty about it (like last weekend I got my eyebrows threaded with some friends, just to try something new).

What level of beauty upkeep is righteous and acceptable? Is there a dollar amount? A look we should keep ourselves to? Number of accessories we're allowed?

ANOTHER reason why the Book of Mormon warns us about costly apparel, and Isaiah warns about the women in Zion wearing crisping pins, bonnets, and other ornaments, and then "mince" as they walk!

Right up there with mantels, wimples, and toe rings! Sing it loud, brother!

I have had gel nails done a couple times over the years, or at least I thought I did :( Apparently I had acrylic done because it was the powder. I don't like it anyway because I feel it damages my natural nails and requires too much money to upkeep. I have gone and got the gel nail polish a couple times recently. Is that gel or something else? It is looks like regular nail polish but cured under UV and lasts a long time. I like it because it doesn't chip as quickly and also helps stop my nails from breaking as often. I think as far as the morality of our beauty treatments, it's a matter of moderation and priority. If you are overspending and neglecting your responsibilities to make yourself pretty then there is obviously a problem. But if you can afford to treat yourself and don't go overboard I think it is in the same class as any recreational activity, like golf, which is very big among the men in my ward, even though its pricey and time consuming. Moderation is key.

I would have totally hit the laugh button on you, except you might actually be serious. :eek:

Yes, I wear makeup too. I don't think I am a Jezebel, or that I am going to Outer Darkness for this. I am modest in my style and my dress, but that can be a matter of interpretation.

I also wear deodorant, brush my teeth, and take baths. :eek::rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am NOT a frilly girl, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm just simple, and basic. However, I have been biting my nails severely for the past 10 years or so. It is awful.

I usually by fake nails, glue them on, shape them, and paint them myself. I usually break-down and do this when I have bitten my nails to the point that they throb or hurt when I touch things. Typing can be torture.

I have had acrylics at various points throughout my life. I got them done this past weekend on the spur-of-the-moment. The nails turned out great, look pretty, and I am not gnawing my real nails to the point of blood.

I am just disappointed that I was mislead.

The sign clearly said:

Acrylic $35

Gel $40

It did not say "acrylic with gel top coat". If somebody wants to pay $5 extra for the gel topcoat, fine. But they should be more clear in their advertising.

Does anybody know...acrylic by itself is strong (though porous), so why would a gel topcoat be desirable? To prevent nail polish from staining the porous acrylic? I mean, is there a justifiable reason for even wanting the gel layer on top of the acrylic nails?